• Advertisement

Augason Farms products (mistakes)

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Augason Farms products (mistakes)

Postby idahobeef » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 am

As early preppers, we made some mistakes when buying Augason Farms long term food cans (the #10s). I now realize that we should have focused on food with a high calorie return or on items that don't grow well here. We were foolish and bought things like cut celery (almost no calories) and cut green peppers (same) but now I focus more on buying things like carrots (helps maintain eyesite) and banana slices (can't grow them within 1000 miles of us). If buying these items, try to buy stuff you CANNOT grow in your area very well; for us thats most things since we live in a desert. I now grab brown sugar, cut strawberries, peas, and meats. Other things like pancake mix and farina we can buy in bulk and cheaper from our local grocery store, although they obviously dont last as long as vacuum-sealed cans. Just my two cents :)
idahobeef

Re: Augason Farms products (mistakes)

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 am

idahobeef wrote:As early preppers, we made some mistakes when buying Augason Farms long term food cans (the #10s). I now realize that we should have focused on food with a high calorie return or on items that don't grow well here. We were foolish and bought things like cut celery (almost no calories) and cut green peppers (same) but now I focus more on buying things like carrots (helps maintain eyesite) and banana slices (can't grow them within 1000 miles of us). If buying these items, try to buy stuff you CANNOT grow in your area very well; for us thats most things since we live in a desert. I now grab brown sugar, cut strawberries, peas, and meats. Other things like pancake mix and farina we can buy in bulk and cheaper from our local grocery store, although they obviously dont last as long as vacuum-sealed cans. Just my two cents :)

you can buy dry goods food in bulk and DIY store long term on the same level as factory canning ... processed foods like flour mixes never have been good candidates for long term storage - need to keep the grain in it's natural form and DIY process when needed ....

some of the other buys are also DIY - dehydrating and dry canning are great prepper tools - gives you the opportunity to rotate thru the stock regularly ...

you didn't mention anything about dairy type products - now that should be a for sure purchase item - dicey chances DIYing milk and eggs products - and a reserve supply is necessary even with real hoof & wing production ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Genevieve » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:57 am

green peppers are good source of vit C and also good for seasoning and roughage
( can't imagine a western omelet without the peppers lol)
celery is the same for seasoning. its a must have when making potato salad and macaroni salad. although celery seed would last longer I hate biting into those things (yuk). I'd rather have the crunch from the celery and celery can be a real PIA to grow, at least here it is
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:56 am

Yes, I wouldn't start off with the celery in my long term food storage, if that was the point. However, I personally wouldn't consider it a waste to buy the celery or green peppers when further along. As Genevieve mentions there are applicable uses for these. I keep such items on hand for stock or soup to add some ingredient complexity to a meal. I also prefer my gardening space be used for items other than celery, so I'm good with keeping something like that in #10 cans. It's just a small part of my other food storage.

Completely agree with the rest of the OP. It's certainly a good idea to stock more difficult to grow or obtain items.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:55 am

At my house, those celery and green peppers will be used. I could eat rice, steamed vegetables with homemade sweet and sour sauce every day!!
I have dehydrated vegetables just for eating with rice and stock all ingredients for homemade sweet and sour sauce; have 12 jelly jars of s&s sauce in the freezer now!!
From Sam's Club, I just sealed yesterday flour and pancake mix in mason jars and put in the freezer.
Said to be good for 24 months --hoping for longer. ;)
Most don't know you can pay a 10% fee of your purchase for one time shopping and not pay annual membership.
It has always failed to be a real 10% fee, so fits for me. Not worrying if the annual membership has expired or forced to use it or lose it isn't my style.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:03 pm

NJMike wrote:
Completely agree with the rest of the OP. It's certainly a good idea to stock more difficult to grow or obtain items.

Agreed! That's what I'm trying to do now. I've been inventorying my food stocks (some from as far back as 2006!) Tomato products don't have a great shelf life, so I'm stocking these products in quantity, but NOT for shelf storage of several years. I'm in the process of TRYING to order items like that in #10 cans, so I can have the 25 yr. shelf life.

I've learned that I stocked pretty good, but there was no event to USE it. Good ... but bad. We just could not rotate through it fast enough in non-SHTF-days. So, now for the more 'hard-to-rotate' items, I stock in TIERS: fresh products ... frozen products ... Canned products ... and dehydrated/freeze dried products .

I am also stocking things that I could not grow or easily get. For example: manderine oranges ... banana slices & other fruits ... milk/cheese/butter powders. And, of course my tomato sauce powders.

I want to get #10 cans of freeze dried meats, but they are SO expensive. I've home-canned meats (still scared to eat them, lol!). The home-canned jars are heavy and take up a lot of room.

Food storage is a HUGE lesson to learn!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 am

I've stocked the FD meats ( which are expensive) but I also stock the TVP to extend the FD meats so they would last longer.

Believe me in a shtf event I'm not going to be putting down a roast and sides dinner. It'll more than likely be casseroles and stews and soups so the fd meat and tvp would work great
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve

Postby rickdun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 am

You may want to check wal-mart (weekly) on the net. I've purchased freeze dried fruits, meats, tvp, vegetables from wal-mart that was on sale. The items are Augason farms products and you can save as much as 20% plus free shipping to your home or store.

Just key in augason farms in the search engine.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather