• Advertisement

$5 can of peanut butter!?!!?

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

$5 can of peanut butter!?!!?

Postby idahobeef » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:32 am

Sooooo, we started really prepping right after Hurricane Katrina and seeing that FEMA didn't help much. We live in a disaster prone area: earthquakes, floods, extremely high winds, nuclear fallout (just this month!!! Hanford, WA, plutonium release, look it up), and honest-to-god volcano (curse you Mt St Helens! as if we didn't have enough crap to deal with already, haha). This week as I was shopping at Walmart I was totally floored at the price of Jif peanut better, $4.48 a can! When we started prepping a few years ago it was just $1.99 a can. I popped open a 6 year old jar of Jif last week and was eating it just fine. I figured we've saved an enormous amount of money on basics like that by stocking up when it was cheap or on sale. My god, a $5 jar of peanut butter! If we knew prices would get this crazy on basics, we'd have stocked up even more! Yikes!
idahobeef

Re: $5 can of peanut butter!?!!?

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:18 am

You can still get good deals on PB if you're not stuck on a particular brand. I tried Aldi PB a while back and was surprised with the creaminess of it. I really liked it and therefore have stocked that. I don't remember how much it was, but it was pretty cheap. I've also used our local grocers brand and that was good too. I doubt most people will care what brand the food is when it is truly needed. I love to make sure I have plenty of PB on hand b/c it is so versatile, has a good amount of calories in it, doesn't require cooking, and is a comfort food. Who doesn't like PB? I'm so glad I don't have an allergy to it!

Anyways, if you have an Aldi near you, try the PB and let me know what you think.
angie_nrs

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am

it varies - Jif was just on sale at some stores for $1.50 /16oz jar .... store brand the same price - sometimes on sale for 99 cents .... you buy by hook or by crook a whole case when the price is right ....

for long term "store & forget" think about peanut butter powder ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

RE: $5 can of peanut butter!?!!?

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:43 am

Agreed on the off-brand peanut butter! I stocked up on PB, when I was getting it for .89 cents/jar at a discount grocery store! I got several cases. We are STILL eating it and it seems fine. When I see the same size jars now, they are close to $3/jar.

I haven't been to the discount grocery where I found this PB in a while because I was running out of space to store my foods. Had to start using what I had more often, since no SHTF happened :bored: . I'm in the midst of taking a full inventory, this summer, so I'll be restocking some items and will see what its selling for there, then.

You are right ... when you prep ahead, the next time you shop for something, sticker shock is pretty frightening! When I stocked my freezer with ground beef it was about .99/lb. When I needed to restock it was about $2.99/lb. I near died! :o -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby derhaashund » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 am

Agree with the try the off brand sentiment. I work in the food industry and I will tell you co packing is common. So, even if it says Aldi on the label, it may be made at a JIF plant. We always say, our biggest competitor is also our biggest customer. We do some co packing for Aldi and to be honest, I like what we make for them better than our "name brand" product.
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am

Something else expensive is Karo syrup, I buy the off brands in quantity when I need to stock up. Keep 4 or 5 bottles
on hand. Another item I hope Sam's still has is the big boxes of Bisquick, its useful in so many recipes.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby rickdun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:36 pm

I get all my peanut butter from Aldi's or Save A Lot, $1.49 to $1.69 for 16 ounces. I'm eating peanut butter from 2015, still good. We also have peanut butter powder (PBfit), I use that on ice cream with milk and blend it up, better then sex. We have 6, 30 ounce contains of the powder.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Not to stray too far from the subject....but....

Does anyone know why butter and cheese prices have spiked when milk prices are still low? Last year I stocked the freezer up on cheese 3 for $5 (8 oz pkgs) and butter was $1.99 per pound. I've noticed cheese hasn't been going on sale much but at best I see 2 for $4 and butter is $3.79 per pound ON SALE. :eek: This is at the local grocer, so I'll have to peek at Aldi the next time I'm there.
angie_nrs

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:09 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Something else expensive is Karo syrup, I buy the off brands in quantity when I need to stock up. Keep 4 or 5 bottles on hand.

I've noticed that the price of Karo syrup goes DOWN quite a bit during the run-up to Thanksgiving (canned pumpkin and molasses, as well) Plus, there are frequently coupons for Karo during the same time frame. So, I take my coupons and stock up at the lower price.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby arkieready » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm

We like the natural pb at harps. Peanuts and salt. $1.99 a jar.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather