• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Its a mistake....

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Its a mistake....

Postby idahobeef » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:54 am

Wow, I think we as a prepper family have made a huge mistake. I have been reading a bunch of post-EMP books lately and never considered the HUGE numbers of hungry hoard people who'd attack and wipe out entire towns. This can include your neighbors! Our family has stocked up on way too much to really flee the area to safety. In addition, we've told neighbors, friends, and distant family to "prep" and now they KNOW we have lots of extra food. Your neighbor or friend may HAVE to kill you to keep their kids from starving; what a thought. I wish we hadn't told everyone to prep, I bet 90% of them haven't. We'd been much better off if no one knew what we had. In hindsight, that was pretty foolish.
idahobeef

Re: Its a mistake....

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:10 am

Well since the cat is out of the bag, really the only thing you can do is either move, move your stuff, or hide your stuff. None of those options are likely very convenient for you. But, since the word is already out, maybe you could start a group in your area? At least then you wouldn't be alone in your efforts. If you decide to get a BOL, now you know to keep that information and location private, especially since people know you prep or your BOL will become a target as well.

It sounds like you read "One Second After".
angie_nrs

Postby handyman777 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 am

idahobeef wrote:Wow, I think we as a prepper family have made a huge mistake. I have been reading a bunch of post-EMP books lately and never considered the HUGE numbers of hungry hoard people who'd attack and wipe out entire towns. This can include your neighbors! Our family has stocked up on way too much to really flee the area to safety. In addition, we've told neighbors, friends, and distant family to "prep" and now they KNOW we have lots of extra food. Your neighbor or friend may HAVE to kill you to keep their kids from starving; what a thought. I wish we hadn't told everyone to prep, I bet 90% of them haven't. We'd been much better off if no one knew what we had. In hindsight, that was pretty foolish.

You need to go (gray), tell any who ask about your prepping that you quit and you sold most of your goods: (LIE) You Know; ;) nothing has happened, nothing is going to happen and I'm done prepping. :nervous:
Just keep your inner most circle close and on the same page. OR MOVE and stay quiet.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Genevieve » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:59 am

The main reason we've told no one that we have supplies is because we know they would do what they could to just take them.

We're the only ones on our dirt lane that work( 5 houses). All the others are on some sort of relief ( wic, snap,etc) and do nothing to better themselves. they don't even try to grow tomatoes in a bucket or something for them to eat

We just hope they all go to shelters or something because we'll be staying here
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 am

idahobeef wrote:Wow, I think we as a prepper family have made a huge mistake. I have been reading a bunch of post-EMP books lately and never considered the HUGE numbers of hungry hoard people who'd attack and wipe out entire towns. This can include your neighbors! Our family has stocked up on way too much to really flee the area to safety. In addition, we've told neighbors, friends, and distant family to "prep" and now they KNOW we have lots of extra food. Your neighbor or friend may HAVE to kill you to keep their kids from starving; what a thought. I wish we hadn't told everyone to prep, I bet 90% of them haven't. We'd been much better off if no one knew what we had. In hindsight, that was pretty foolish.

you don't have to wait to be home invaded and killed - you don't think the everyday crooky-de-crook doesn't know what a prepper is? - won't be coming for your beenie weenie either - common knowledge there's other pawnable goodies like guns/ammo, $$$$, drugs, camp gear, electronics ect ect ....

you open your mouth or leave a visible trail (like unloading a Cosco run in front of neighbors or leaving the garage door open for everyone to read your prep tote labels) - expect some trouble down the road - if you follow the prepper forums/blogs you'll read the about the exposure problems and horror that fellow preppers have experienced - it doesn't take a nuke war - just 3-4 days of winter off grid and frantic sheeple ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

I have told most everyone this year, oh I canned a bit, but haven't been feeling to good so not doing
much. I too got worried about people knowing what we had and muted it way down. I still worry
though as people know we are pretty much prepared. Need to learn to keep my mouth shut.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:21 am

Right there with ya....lessons learned.

As Angie said, moving is the only real solution...anything else at this point results in zombies at the door.

Stashing your stuff might save you some loss but they'll still be coming. desperation when nothing found will lead to further violence. So IF you survive it, sure, there's supplies to fall back on.

I went with a combination of going grey, stashing and displaying hard target.

The cats outa the bag, cant put it back, so I decided to make myself a very visible hard target until we actually move. Verbally and visible. AR's in full site going to the range every weekend for practice, 1000 rounds visible at purchase, Very frank talks with neighbors of training every weekend for long range and CQB training with vets and local sheriffs that have formed a network(Happens to be true).....Discussions of how(And this actually happened) a work associate stated to me "They don't need to prep, He'll just show up at my front door if SHTF...ha, ha, ha".....And how I told him very seriously I answered "If SHTF and anyone shows up at my door for anything that they will be met with the wrong end of a barrel by multiple Vets and myself...No one would be allowed in and no extra food will be available to leave and bodies on the lawn will help us deter the next door knocker."...........

This was stated to the nosey neighbor that often offers his un-asked opinion on the neighborhood goings-on in day to day conversations......I know my message got out when another prepped neighbor told me he heard about the conversation....lol......he also heard from same said neighbor that I had sold my stuff(Food) as I was in financial hardship...lol...another white lie.

Truth is, nothing short of moving will fix this....But, hard target ideology will deter all but the most desperate and if it comes to that, neighbors would be hit first(softer targets), and then they'll hit you after all others have been hit and they were going to hit you eventually anyways.....With enough time passing in a SHTF it's inevitable whether you're known as a prepper or not so better be prepped for that as well.

Anyone here can disagree but no one will state anything other than opinion since it's not happened yet in the US......This is the route I chose. It doesn't matter since the cats outa the bag and can never be put back in.

Best solution if you ever open your big fat mouth is to move....The only real security is to never open said mouth to begin with......
If you already have, like the dumb-asss that I was, broadcast :tank: :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: hard target :gunsmile: :gunshooting: :gunsmile: :tank: until you move.

We still wave to each other but the prepping jokes stopped immediately. ;)

my $.02

~D
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby sageprice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 pm

This is why you keep a low profile. Try not to look to fat and this is a time to diet. Remember those hungry hordes will be dead with out water and shelter. HMMM, no tap water, no heat, no narcotics, and they have to walk to get to the next town. No food is the least of their troubles. :gunshooting:
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 pm

idahobeef, you know the old saying, "a slip of the lip will sink a ship".

Nobody, that means family, friends, neighbors (only have 3 neighbors), etc., know exactly what we have. :shakeno: If the shtf, there will be about 12 of us here on the farm, all family. The only reason I've invited my two sisters and their husbands is because my sisters are RN's.

All those family members have a list of what to bring, all food they have, guns, ammo, fuel, cloths, bedding, medical supplies, all their vehicles, etc..

Those family members know that the farm will be Custer's last stand and that's all they know.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Moving might work although if you've already stock piled up on so much stuff taking it all with you could be very troublesome. What else you could do, you could make your house into a fortress. Doing that though would be time consuming and very expensive.
Photon Guy

Postby idahobeef » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 am

Instead of moving (which we have pondered), I WAS thinking of moving it all into a storage unit. Ours has brick walls, steel bars, and barbed wire at the top, so it'd be a great place to bug out too, haha. Plus they are very well insulated and air conditioned (we live in a desert), and have low access routes. I honestly dont think anyone will be looking for FOOD at a storage unit place. Well its cheapert than moving and I can rent a HUGE one for just $80, hehe. Thoughts? Comments?
idahobeef

Postby handyman777 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 am

That's an option, but how many others will be heading to the storage unit ?

Do you have 24hr access.

By week 2, after SHTF people will be looking at storage units-probably easier to invade than a fortified home.

Would you have an escape route if needed, or only one way in.

If funds are there and this is your only option, consider a BOV locked in your storage unit loaded with all the things you need or an "enclosed trailer" not travel trailer, that can be hooked up and hauled out in a hurry, a trailer might be the way to go because people won't know whats inside, also can be used as a shelter if needed.

(paint "BILLY-BOBS" or what ever, landscape service on the side and no one will know the difference)
handyman777

Postby handyman777 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:22 am

Maybe the owner of the storage unit has the same plans as you and everything in those "4" fortified walls now belong to him...???? just a thought.
handyman777

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 am

handyman777 wrote:

You need to go (gray), tell any who ask about your prepping that you quit and you sold most of your goods: (LIE) You Know; ;) nothing has happened, nothing is going to happen and I'm done prepping. :nervous:
Just keep your inner most circle close and on the same page. OR MOVE and stay quiet.

Tell them that since nothing happened, you donated it to the texas flood relief! :ninja:
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Idahobeef, first and foremost I have to inform you, your thread title immediately brought the Australian 80s rock band Men At Work and their song "It's a Mistake" to mind.

I am singing it now in my head.
Damn you.

Continuing on, in your predicament, can you use what you have on hand to turn all those people into assets vs liabilities?

For example, hey, I have all this food. I need you to help me do X.
X can be anything from standing watch for 4 hours in the dead of night, to weeding the gardens, cutting firewood, etc.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Next

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather