• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Hurricane Irma has formed in the Atlantic, went from a depression to a cat-3 in a few days and is expected to reach a cat-4. Read the attached and go to the bottom right to see video from Janice Dean, Fox weather reporter. Although the video shows as a cat-2, it is now a cat-3. May hit the east coast by next weekend.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/31 ... erous.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby TRex2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Worth keeping an eye on, but it is too early,
and they have no idea at all where she will go.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby anita » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

I think Joe Bastardi is a meteorologist par excellence. He looks at historical storm info to predict what will happen.

Here's him discussing Irma, after he takes a rant on climate change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_NttKgKVA
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Anita, I agree, too early to tell what Irma will do, but doesn't hurt to check everyday to see what's going to happen, especially if you live on the east coast or the gulf. Here's another youtube, go to 1:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuzQpa0suQ
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby anita » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm

No, I didn't say that it's too early. Joe said early on that this would be the year that the hurricane-free period would end. (Odd how with all the global warming we've had no major hurricanes in the US for several years.)

He predicted there would be a major hit in northeast Texas, for one, and he thinks Erma will likely be serious. I think he's still giving a couple of scenarios at this point. But he goes back and looks at how past storms were created, and how they acted, and why they were a major wind or rain event, etc., and then compares current conditions to those historic conditions to make his predictions.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ajax727 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:18 pm

It is a little early to tell what area it is going to hit . The east coast or gulf that is the big question ?
We will be watching this one (N.C around . 60 miles from the coast ) we have been through several and some were bad others were not . Got my fingers crossed it want be that bad here wind and rain but we are on higher ground than others .so the rain will just get things boggy . The winds might get a few trees and might have a lose of power .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby anita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 pm

With all that's happening in Texas, let's hope Irma doesn't hit anywhere, although that seems unlikely.

I imagine a lot of resources, (power trucks, FEMA, etc) are busy in Texas, and those who lose power after Irma might be waiting a little while before they get it back.

anita

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Think ahead and cover large electronics or other valuables with plastic. Amazon has options to get now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s ... gs+for+fur
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Just saw the latest track for Irma. It is starting to track more straight rather than curve north. That would put it somewhere between Cuba and the southern tip of Florida, and possibly on toward Texas/Louisiana. If it continues on that track, it will be mostly over warm water with little land to slow it down.

The Weather Channel's current prediction is that it will hit Florida and make a hard right up through that state. This is not looking good.

anita

Postby TRex2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Very, very few hurricanes thread the needle between Cuba and Florida.

It is almost as if there were some invisible divider and
a few miles north or south as it approaches that straight makes
a hundred miles difference north or south the next day.

(I actually kinda know how that invisible divider works,
but not well enough to explain it simply)
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Moms on a 'moms' facebook group that I belong to are NOT fooling around with this next storm. They are putting in fairly decent Amazon orders to get stocked up on emergency supplies. Some are even getting life jackets, after seeing the flooding in Texas!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm

I think an inflatable raft would be a good choice!

anita

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 pm

anita wrote:I think an inflatable raft would be a good choice!
Actually, some ARE getting those too! These moms don't mess around! :D
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TRex2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:16 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Moms on a 'moms' facebook group that I belong to are NOT fooling around with this next storm. They are putting in fairly decent Amazon orders to get stocked up on emergency supplies. Some are even getting life jackets, after seeing the flooding in Texas!

If they are in Florida or any state touching Florida, it is a little late to be stocking up.
TRex2

Postby TRex2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:52 am

TRex2 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Moms on a 'moms' facebook group that I belong to are NOT fooling around with this next storm. They are putting in fairly decent Amazon orders to get stocked up on emergency supplies. Some are even getting life jackets, after seeing the flooding in Texas!

If they are in Florida or any state touching Florida, it is a little late to be stocking up.

I should have qualified that as a little late to be ordering through Amazon to stock up.
But even that would have been somewhat incorrect.

Current forecast is arrival on Sunday.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... s-florida/
The previous forecast I heard was landfall Thursday, but I have not
been following the day by day forecasts, because I have always held
that Hurricane forecasts more than 48 hours out are just guesses.
TRex2

Next

Return to Natural Disasters