• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 am

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... -islands-0

Irma has reached Cat 5 status with 175MPH winds

Hurricane Irma is nearing the northern Leeward Islands and is now a Category 5.

Hurricane warnings have been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Irma will target the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico Wednesday into early Thursday.

Parts of Hispañola, the Bahamas, and Cuba are also in the path of Irma late this week.

Irma is increasingly likely to target parts of the Florida peninsula as a dangerous hurricane this weekend.
dmwalsh568

Postby rickdun » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 am

My nephew (sister's son) lives about 30 miles north of Miami, he took two weeks vacation and brought his family here. He said he ain't riding nothin' out. He said that his wife and three kids are more important to him.

They towed two trailers home with all their cloths and food stuff, M-T'ed the frig and freezer and gave it to the neighbors. He said the only thing left is the furniture and the kitchen sink.

I told him it was good to get out but that he's a little parinoid. :eek:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby LetsPrep11 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm

We're on the east coast of Central Florida and not comfortable with how Irma is tracking. Currently, we're looking at 136 mph winds. I'd like to get the heck out of dodge but it's hard to anticipate, in advance, where this thing is going to go. With my luck I'd head in the wrong direction. We're trying to get a hurricane shutter company out here but no returns calls so far. I'm watching the neighbor's house until Oct. and she had shutters. If worse comes to worse, we'll camp out over there.
Praying Irma will turn out to sea.

Went to Walmart this morning to buy milk and butter. Didn't expect folks shopping this early but it was mobbed! I couldn't even find a cart. :'( It was really crazy but everyone was in good spirits.

Everyone stay safe!
LetsPrep11

Postby kenjabroni » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm

All of yall in Florida be safe and keep your eyes open because if this storm stays this strong and tracks the way its going now its going to be ugly for a long while down there as well as what Texas is going through.

Rick your nephew may be smart getting out of dodge this early. No way in heck Florida can evacuate in two days if irma unleashes on it.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Fox news said Irma is now 180 mph sustained winds, it's been 100 years since two cat-4 hurricanes have hit the U.S.. The Florida Keys were told to evacuate, here's an update on the hurricane:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/05/hu ... -keys.html
rickdun

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Some of the Fla moms, on the mom's facebook page I frequent, are going to Disney! They said that storm preparation at the park is #1, and they feel safer there than anywhere else! :|
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Here's the latest on Irma as of 5:40 p.m. today:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/hur ... d=49608171
rickdun

Postby anita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Some of the Fla moms, on the mom's facebook page I frequent, are going to Disney! They said that storm preparation at the park is #1, and they feel safer there than anywhere else! :|

I hope they are being charged a surcharge!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 pm

MIAMI now included in the MANDAtORY Evacuation:

Disasters Declared, Evacuations Ordered in Florida as 'Potentially Catastrophic' Hurricane Irma Approaches
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... ps-impacts
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Irma may topple construction cranes in South Florida, residents warned to evacuate
https://www.local10.com/weather/hurrica ... o-evacuate

MIAMI - City of Miami officials have sent out an urgent warning ahead of Hurricane Irma to residents living near construction sites.

The city claims there are 20-25 construction cranes in the area right now that can only withstand Category 4 storm winds up to 145 mph.

Currently, Hurricane Irma is classified as a Category 5 storm with 185 mph winds.

Officials are warning residents living near a construction site with cranes to evacuate the area. Those living downtown or in the Brickell and Edgewater areas are especially vulnerable.

The arms of construction cranes are not tied down and must remain loose.

The city is worried the arm's counterbalance could collapse, posing a danger to nearby buildings.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 am

Here's another update on Iram, today 9-6-2017. Florida Keys are 3 to 5 feet above sea level, storm surge estimated at 10 to 15 feet, don't look pretty:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/06 ... lands.html
rickdun

Postby rickdun » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Here's most recent update on Irma and Florida as of 4:17 p.m. today:

https://www.local10.com/news/national/f ... e-gridlock
rickdun

Postby sandlapper3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:09 pm

My sister lives on Merritt Island and her son and his family live in Melbourne. They evacuated to GA last hurricane and said traffic was so horrible he opted for them to ride it out in Ocala. I am pretty sure they will lose their homes and am extremely worried about my sister. She is in almost constant a-fib and her heart doctor (Mayo Clinic), who has performed two ablations on her, has still not responded to her 3 week heart monitoring test results which ended 2-3 weeks ago. He is on "vacation"-the third in the past 3-4 months???). If her house is destroyed,I am afraid that would be more than she could take.

I pray for all the folks in Texas and Florida. :shakeyes: :nervous:

As of 7:00 p.m. she is refusing to evacuate. I shudder to think what she will endure. Am very distraught.
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 am

Here's the latest track of Irma as of 2:00 a.m. by NOAA, don't look good for Florida:

In addition, they are telling people if they are going to a shelter that they need to bring their own food and water, enough for 3 days.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... shtml?cone
rickdun

Postby anita » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 am

rickdun wrote:-- snip --

In addition, they are telling people if they are going to a shelter that they need to bring their own food and water, enough for 3 days.

--snip--

And what could possibly go wrong?
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters