• Advertisement

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby anita » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:01 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Some of the Fla moms, on the mom's facebook page I frequent, are going to Disney! They said that storm preparation at the park is #1, and they feel safer there than anywhere else! :|

I just heard that Disney is closing DisneyWorld for at least two days. Looks like they'll have to keep moving.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:04 pm

anita wrote:
rickdun wrote:-- snip --

In addition, they are telling people if they are going to a shelter that they need to bring their own food and water, enough for 3 days.

--snip--

And what could possibly go wrong?

Disney World closing!!!!!
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm

So, what happens to the people who are already at the hotel in Disney World? I know a lot of moms in my Facebook group, who live in Florida, were evacuating to Disney because they are so sure they will be well taken care of. So, what happens to the people who are already at the hotel in Disney World? I know a lot of moms in my Facebook group, who live in Florida, were evacuating to Disney because they are so sure they will be well taken care of.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:26 pm

ReadyMom, Gov. Scott was on TV earlier and he stated that the entire state needs to be ready to evacuate as this storm is 5 times more powerful then hurricane Andrew. Now that's real bad. I'm sure those ladies will be heading north by northwest by tomorrow if not sooner or get in a shelter somewhere and soon.
rickdun

Postby anita » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:18 pm

ReadyMom wrote:So, what happens to the people who are already at the hotel in Disney World? I know a lot of moms in my Facebook group, who live in Florida, were evacuating to Disney because they are so sure they will be well taken care of.

I take it these women aren't preppers. "They are so sure they will be well taken care of," is not the mindset of preppers. Sounds more like sheeple to me!
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby TRex2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm

anita wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:So, what happens to the people who are already at the hotel in Disney World? I know a lot of moms in my Facebook group, who live in Florida, were evacuating to Disney because they are so sure they will be well taken care of.

I take it these women aren't preppers. "They are so sure they will be well taken care of," is not the mindset of preppers. Sounds more like sheeple to me!

They may not be preppers, but right now, they need to be told where to go. (That doesn't sound right) If they haven't found a place to ride this out, the nearest place may be outside of Florida, and it is already past time to be gone.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:50 pm

rickdun wrote:ReadyMom, Gov. Scott was on TV earlier and he stated that the entire state needs to be ready to evacuate as this storm is 5 times more powerful then hurricane Andrew. Now that's real bad. I'm sure those ladies will be heading north by northwest by tomorrow if not sooner or get in a shelter somewhere and soon.

Yup I actually posted his message on the FB page for the moms and the admin of the page told me he didn't mean the whole state should evacuate before the storm :glare: . At that point what can you say? :surrender: I just let it go. It was there in black & white. I made some lame comment that the sentence was misleading if that is not what he meant :bored:

But, I'll tell ya, the moms who live down there are insistent. They said the hurricane plans at Disney are top notch with trained staff in place to be there with the guests. If you're going to hunker down that was where they were going! I'll be real interested to read what they have to say afterwards!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Oldest daughter & family may be fighting evacuee traffic to get home from Myrtle Beach.

I tried to get them to leave a day or two early. They were stubborn. But then they've no experience with this sort of thing. My immediate concern wasn't Irma, it was them getting locked in traffic & stuck in the path of the storm as it moves up coast. They're heading out tomorrow, I hope it's early enough.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 am

I doubt it is. I had friends that left at 2AM this morning with their 3 grandkids. They were just in
the middle of Georgia, drove 13 hours. They live on Marco Island and obviously they needed to
leave. She said lot of traffic and lots of stations out of gas.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby rickdun » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:43 am

Mollypup wrote:Oldest daughter & family may be fighting evacuee traffic to get home from Myrtle Beach.

I tried to get them to leave a day or two early. They were stubborn. But then they've no experience with this sort of thing. My immediate concern wasn't Irma, it was them getting locked in traffic & stuck in the path of the storm as it moves up coast. They're heading out tomorrow, I hope it's early enough.

Molly, not to worry, they should be good to go, here's the latest on Irma as of 2:00 a.m.:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone
rickdun

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 am

Mollypup wrote:Oldest daughter & family may be fighting evacuee traffic to get home from Myrtle Beach.
The storm isn't supposed to go through that area so,
unless they are going towards Montgomery AL, they should be OK.

OTOH, they may have a problem finding fuel in some areas.
I think this storm is going to cause more spot shortages throughout the Carolina's.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby anita » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 am

TRex2 wrote:
anita wrote:

They may not be preppers, but right now, they need to be told where to go. (That doesn't sound right) If they haven't found a place to ride this out, the nearest place may be outside of Florida, and it is already past time to be gone.

The answer is simple: North. They are no different than anyone else in Florida. The fact that they decided to go to Disneyworld to be taken care of doesn't make them particularly sympathetic. I don't envy them, headed out with tons of traffic with a carload of kids, but you make your choices and have to live with them.

They made the choice to stay in harms' way and let someone else take care of them. They could have decided to go to Williamsburg, or someplace else out of the path of the storm, but no, they'd rather be someone else's responsibility.

anita

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 am

anita wrote:
TRex2 wrote:They may not be preppers, but right now, they need to be told where to go. (That doesn't sound right) If they haven't found a place to ride this out, the nearest place may be outside of Florida, and it is already past time to be gone.

The answer is simple: North. They are no different than anyone else in Florida. ...

Well that is the simple answer.

I was thinking more along the lines of:
"get all the gas you can get, and get on I-95 North, and go as far as you can.
Then go West for an hour. Wait until Jose gets past Florida before going back South."

Anyways, that is what I would have told them.

I always tell any of my family or friends that are "of means" (I am, but, just barely)
to bug out to twice the distance you think you need to. Or three times.
Let the ones who cannot go that far have the closer places.
TRex2

Postby Floridaclipper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 am

I have heard great things about how Disney cared for their guests. A popular radio host gave Disney a lot of praise after another storm. I haven't heard what their plans are for the guests that are already there. Disney is just over an hour south of me. I'm staying put for this one. Some storms I stay and some I go. Each situation is unique. Employers don't make it easy. By the time they close it's too late to get out of the area especially with an event this large. I'll be working until after midnight and then commuting home. It shouldn't be an issue getting home but I'd rather have the extra time to finish getting set up and rest. I won't get much sleep during the storm. I'm riding it out solo so I can't switch off watch duty to someone else.

Currently traffic is an issue. They did open up a shoulder lane to help with traffic flow but contraflow traffic has not been initiated. They still need the hwys to rush supplies south into the area. The window to get out is about at it's limit at this point. Gas is difficult to come by. I saw one station that was packed with people waiting for gas to be delivered. Cars are being towed off the hwy then the people will need to decide what to do next if they can't find fuel. Hotels are not an option. They are all booked. I've met a lot of tired people, some in tears,most of them without a plan. The shelves are empty of staples unless you are there when the delivery arrives. People are complaining about the lack of bath tissue and bread. Many of the businesses and restaurants will close at some point today. Hopefully the people in hotels thought to pack food. Of note the Orlando Diocese has given the option to the individual churches to decide if they will say Mass this weekend. My church will be closed. The Bishop dispensed the obligation to attend Mass so it will not be a sin. I still plan to go for a few minutes and pray today and tomorrow.

It won't be pleasant. In my area the worst will be 58 mph winds with gusts up to 109. My hurricane shutters are good to 150 mph and I do not expect flooding in my area. As the storm moves closer the mandatory evacuation orders are issued progressively to the north.The last I heard was that my area has a mandatory evacuation for mobile homes.

Here's the scale of what type of damage one can expect at the different wind speeds.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php

I hope we will not see loss of life in FL but unfortunately there will be. Some are remaining in areas where there is no question that they should leave.
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby anita » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:45 am

This Disney thing annoys me because I am a (small) shareholder. These people are putting the company employees at risk and wasting Disney company money so they don't have to stock up, suffer the traffic, the gas lines etc. I have absolutely no doubt that Disney has many hurricane precautions/preparations. But using it as your hurricane shelter, making their employees take care of you instead of their own homes and families, is a bit much.

anita

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters