• Advertisement

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 am

Our friend got back to Indiana from St.Pete last night. They told the wife that it took 18 hrs to go 200 miles and were only allowed 10 gal of gas at a time.. I tried to get them to leave a couple of days before and was told it would be ok Irma wasn't going to be that bad.. Can't fix stupid
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 pm

I was watching the news and they were interviewing various people and one old timer said he and his will can with stand any hurricane.

A woman and her son were tying up their boat and planned on staying on the boat until the hurricane past.

Another woman was walking her 3 kids and pushing another in a stroller, saying will be ok, won't we kids.

While talking to another woman, they showed people in the ocean swimming even though there were dangerous rip ties.

Another woman was interviewed on the phone saying her and her son can't leave because they have a farm and have to take care of the cows.

Stupid is what stupid does.

I have a very bad felling there are going to be a lot of dead bodies after this on.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Floridians are not making a good impression...
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby NJMike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:44 pm

It's classic normalcy bias. Some people just can't wrap their heads around disaster or think the stuff they see on the news applies to them.

Some family of the GF live near Tampa and were planning to weather things out in their concrete block garage. Geez. What dummies. The roof will be blown off and the storm surge could easily be over the garage.

I was originally supposed to be flying into Orlando tomorrow for work. Glad that had got cancelled by Wednesday.

I have family on the East Coast and coworkers in the Miami area. Haven't been in contact but hope they're alright and doing the right thing.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:16 pm

All you can do is try!

I have an 82 year old family member is Sarasota that has refused to leave. I even offered to drive down and get him! I am glad I took him a rather expansive emergency kit last year, even though I have had to listen to complaints about how much room it take up.

I talked with him this morning and he still has not looked at the kit or thinks there will be any problems where he lives. He is not senile, demented, or anything of that nature. All we can do is pray for the best. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Daughter & family made it home this evening. They made time though......because they got home earlier than they should have, which is fine by me.

Praying for all in this storms path.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Floridaclipper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 am

There will always be contenders for the Darwin awards. I saw a video yesterday of someone in key west trying to take a selfie in front of the ocean. He was washed away. He did survive.

I made contact with a HAM in Ft Myers about 3 this morning. The waves were at 31 ft at that point. Yikes! They are expecting the full impact of the storm in that area. I'm farther north in central fl about 30 miles inland. Mandatory evacuations for mobile and modular homes. Going into work it appeared compliance was an issue. In my area we are expecting significant impact. Winds of 110 mph and flooding from a river. I'm far from the river and not expecting flooding. I am expecting a lot of tree damage but I have removed all the ones close to the house over the years. We'll be on the right side of the storm so hopefully I won't have to deal with a tornado. My employer thinks we may be able to reopen for business Monday afternoon :) I'm thinking I'm not going to make it in. There's no way they will have the roads cleared etc by then. Travel is usually very restricted after these types of events. So long as the house is not damaged (I do not expect issues) I'll be fine but it sure is not pleasant waiting these storms out.
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby anita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 am

Floridaclipper wrote:There will always be contenders for the Darwin awards. I saw a video yesterday of someone in key west trying to take a selfie in front of the ocean. He was washed away. He did survive.

I made contact with a HAM in Ft Myers about 3 this morning. The waves were at 31 ft at that point. Yikes! They are expecting the full impact of the storm in that area. I'm farther north in central fl about 30 miles inland. Mandatory evacuations for mobile and modular homes. Going into work it appeared compliance was an issue. In my area we are expecting significant impact. Winds of 110 mph and flooding from a river. I'm far from the river and not expecting flooding. I am expecting a lot of tree damage but I have removed all the ones close to the house over the years. We'll be on the right side of the storm so hopefully I won't have to deal with a tornado. My employer thinks we may be able to reopen for business Monday afternoon :) I'm thinking I'm not going to make it in. There's no way they will have the roads cleared etc by then. Travel is usually very restricted after these types of events. So long as the house is not damaged (I do not expect issues) I'll be fine but it sure is not pleasant waiting these storms out.

And I saw a video of a guy headed out to surf!

Stay safe!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 am

Floridaclipper wrote:There will always be contenders for the Darwin awards. I saw a video yesterday of someone in key west trying to take a selfie in front of the ocean. He was washed away. He did survive.

Yea. The Weather Channel can get one of those awards, too! Was watching Fox, this morning, and as the reporter is talking about the 2ft of water that was rolling down the street, a SUV came rolling through the water. They mentioned how crazy is this. Then realized it was the Weather Channel guy. AND he was on the phone as he was sloshing through the water! You could see the car rocking by the heavy wind & water! BTW: isn't it the Weather Channel the folks who kept rolling that bit showing the meteorologist with the graphic of a car in rising water and what it looks like every few feet with the car floating, signs & stuff floating, the car rocking & they are telling you the whole time NOT to go in rising water?? :glare: :bored: :blink:
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TRex2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:47 am

ReadyMom wrote:
Floridaclipper wrote:There will always be contenders for the Darwin awards. ...

Yea. The Weather Channel can get one of those awards, too! Was watching Fox, this morning, and as the reporter is talking about the 2ft of water that was rolling down the street, a SUV came rolling through ...

Is this the same Fox Reporter that was standing in water above his knees next to rushing water going down the street as the storm surge rolled in? And then walked out, several steps, towards the moving water...

I think several of them are taking way too much risk.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby filsgreen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Across the pond in Liverpool and have been watching it on CNN; I can't believe the attitude of some people. Watching people queuing to get into the shelters, a lot of them had nothing with them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they had been advised not to bring anything, this was not the case. Furthermore, the reporter said that some of them were complaining of the conditions inside the shelter :? The reporter noted that they had plenty of cigarettes though.
filsgreen

Postby TRex2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:53 pm

filsgreen wrote:Across the pond in Liverpool and have been watching it on CNN; I can't believe the attitude of some people. Watching people queuing to get into the shelters, a lot of them had nothing with them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they had been advised not to bring anything, this was not the case. Furthermore, the reporter said that some of them were complaining of the conditions inside the shelter :? The reporter noted that they had plenty of cigarettes though.

Welcome to American Prepper Network, and congrats on posting your first view of non-preppers.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby filsgreen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Trex. :) I'm a 7 day prepper, little league basically. I'm not having a go at non preppers, but if I was going into a shelter for three days; I would have the courtesy to provide my own food, drink and bedding. Especially pillows; I've got to have my own I hate sleeping in hotel rooms. :D
filsgreen

Postby Floridaclipper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Well I haven't blown away yet & I still have power for the moment. Oddly the land line is not working. The strongest winds should be here about 3-5 am but the guests are starting now. This is where things start to get scary. I'm tired but don't have a buddy to trade time watching conditions. The storm is producing a lot of tornadoes. Only one touched down. There are a lot of power outages and the storm has only really just started arriving. Some of the shelters are running on back up power. The lift stations here do not have power and there is a risk of things backing up :'( Fortunately I learned my lesson a while back and I'm on well and septic. 911 is receiving a lot of calls for power outages. Yup. Lights out call 911 ;)
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby filsgreen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:26 am

Watching CNN from last night; I've just heard that two Palm Beach police officers have died in a vehicle accident, 6pm local time. My condolences to their families. :(
filsgreen

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters