• Advertisement

Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

Postby LetsPrep11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 pm

We'll, we survived another hurricane here on the east coast of Central Florida. It was Hell! I wanted to leave on the 7th but spouse refused to go. I almost flew out of here but just couldn't abandon a senior citizen to fend for himself. Next time, he goes, or else!

All day yesterday we dealt with the hurricane and tornados swirling around us, and through the grace of God, came through with no damage to our home. Our trees, pool, and pool screens are another matter. It's going to take at least 4 days to clean up the mess. Our back yard is covered in huge Oak tree limbs (all day yesterday and last night: thunk...thunk...thunk) and smaller limbs. Our side yard is impassable due to a downed Magnolia tree. You can't step anywhere in our yard without tripping on a branch, limb, or Magnolia cone. We lost some pool screens so my sparkling pool is now filled with leaves and pieces of screen.

We lost power. No problem! We had battery operated fans, lights, flashlights, and fully charge electronics with backup ways to recharges.
We lost water. No problem! We had bottled water, filled 7-gal water containers, a filled Water BOB in the tub, a 20,000 gal. pool, and multiple water filters.
We lost gas. No problem! We have at least 5 different ways to cook. First thing, got out the Coleman to heat water for coffee.
We lost cell and home phone. Well, you can't have everything. Time fixed that problem.

Don't be too hard on folks that didn't evacuated, unless they were in a mandatory evacuation zone. There are multiple reasons why people don't evacuate from Fl. but the list is too long to go into. You'd really have to live here to understand.
LetsPrep11

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Glad you came through it OK, LetsPrep11!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Floridaclipper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 am

I made it as well. SW Marion county.

Lost the landine - no problem still had cell and internet
Lost power about 11:40PM on sun - no problem had other ways to keep myself entertained, cook, etc
Lost use of the well due to power outage - no problem, stored water and generator to refill if needed
Lost cell and internet -no problem I'm a HAM and had back up power for my stations.
Lost the repeater - It was damaged in the storm. I found another and ran on simplex
No gas to be found - no problem yet had storage
Lost very few items in the refrigerator the freezers are just fine.
No damage to the house
The yard...big problem. I have a lot of trees and almost 2 acres. Some of the limbs that came down were slammed into the ground inches deep. I'm not strong enough to pull them out. Some are wrapped around the flag pole and other items. I return to work today. It's going to take days to a week for me to clean this mess up. Nothing I could have really prepped for. The trees were thinned, the ones closest to the house removed but clean up is what it is.

Some of the roads and neighborhoods are flooded. Most traffic lights are out. Many accidents as people do not remember it becomes a 4 way stop. I return to work today and will be taking back roads to avoid that situation as much as possible.

My break is over. Time to get back out into the yard
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby Mollypup » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 am

Glad to hear you guys made it Let'sPrep & Floridacllipper. Thanks for checking in. :)
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Natural Disasters