• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Water and Southern California

Post general California topics here

Water and Southern California

Postby Rosemead » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm

The city of Colton suffered a lighting strike on their electrical switch yard this morning at 7 am. 50,000 people are with out power, but it also took 2 water pumps down. The hottest day this year and there is no power or water. Edison says it will be 8 to 9 hours to get back.

This got we to mentally review my water preps. And immediately plan A has an issue. For "planning purposes", I was counting on the water running for three days after a power outage. This how long I figured the backup generators would run. It looks like I will have to make some changes. Just don't know what. Three days would allow me to fill my bathtub bobs, giving us 200 gallons, another 30 gallons in the water heater, and as many bottles as we can fill, or fifty gallons each for the four of us.

Living upstairs in a condo limits any water storage. So any ideas?
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
User avatar
Rosemead
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Orange Co. California
Karma: 0

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm

I live in the country with a well - so I have little to offer in your situation. Except don't depend on a water heater unless you are familiar with them and know everything is working properly! Even a slightly leaky pressure relief valve (very common problem and a reason for the drip pan) can allow water to siphon to a lowest level. An easy fix if you are familiar with plumbing issues. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8160
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Rosemead » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you for your response.

Yes I have some experience, I did install this one.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
User avatar
Rosemead
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Orange Co. California
Karma: 0

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby handyman777 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 am

You could try using water bricks: be creative and turn them into end tables or coffee tables; with a sheet over the bricks to hide them and a board or glass top. Careful on how much weight is on the table top.
I thought about doing this as a shelving unit, but not sure on how much weight the bricks will hold. I figure if you don't over load the shelves it should work::::T.P.,blankets, lite prep items, etc. things that won't add a lot of weight.
I also have a well, but I do store water just in case.

If you do use your water from your water heater turn off your power supply to it, GAS/ELECTRIC.
until water/power is restored. This could burn up your heating element and now you have to repair/replace your water heater. or start a fire.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am
Karma: 13

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 am

handyman777 wrote:You could try using water bricks: be creative and turn them into end tables or coffee tables; with a sheet over the bricks to hide them and a board or glass top. Careful on how much weight is on the table top.
I thought about doing this as a shelving unit, but not sure on how much weight the bricks will hold. I figure if you don't over load the shelves it should work::::T.P.,blankets, lite prep items, etc. things that won't add a lot of weight.
I also have a well, but I do store water just in case.

If you do use your water from your water heater turn off your power supply to it, GAS/ELECTRIC.
until water/power is restored. This could burn up your heating element and now you have to repair/replace your water heater. or start a fire.



^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

I cant recommend them enough Rosemead. the waterbricks are amazing for living in an apartment. 3.5gal each...stackable, lockable, build furniture, fills crevices like under a bed, behind the couch, entertainment center, upper back area of closets, in garage storage unit. 100X worth the cost if you take strength and flexibility into account....can take them camping, 1 in the car when traveling, etc.

I have about 20-30 of them...had them filled for about 1-1/2 year now and no algae with normal bleach prep and just tap water...it's about time to rotate it out I guess. rotated out 2 50 gals 2 weeks ago.

Anyways...strongly recommend them. they're almost indestructible.




.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
User avatar
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE
 
Posts: 497
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: North of the Equator / below the 37th parallel
Karma: 25

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Rosemead » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
handyman777 wrote:You could try using water bricks: be creative and turn them into end tables or coffee tables; with a sheet over the bricks to hide them and a board or glass top. Careful on how much weight is on the table top.
I thought about doing this as a shelving unit, but not sure on how much weight the bricks will hold. I figure if you don't over load the shelves it should work::::T.P.,blankets, lite prep items, etc. things that won't add a lot of weight.
I also have a well, but I do store water just in case.

If you do use your water from your water heater turn off your power supply to it, GAS/ELECTRIC.
until water/power is restored. This could burn up your heating element and now you have to repair/replace your water heater. or start a fire.



^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

I cant recommend them enough Rosemead. the waterbricks are amazing for living in an apartment. 3.5gal each...stackable, lockable, build furniture, fills crevices like under a bed, behind the couch, entertainment center, upper back area of closets, in garage storage unit. 100X worth the cost if you take strength and flexibility into account....can take them camping, 1 in the car when traveling, etc.

I have about 20-30 of them...had them filled for about 1-1/2 year now and no algae with normal bleach prep and just tap water...it's about time to rotate it out I guess. rotated out 2 50 gals 2 weeks ago.

Anyways...strongly recommend them. they're almost indestructible.

.


You know I have seen the advertisements and it never occurred to me, they are just what I need. I will defiantly be getting some. Yeah, make something, a table.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
User avatar
Rosemead
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Orange Co. California
Karma: 0

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 am

I have never seen water bricks before.

Interesting.

But I have a question: How much weight can the condo floor support?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Rosemead » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 am

The floor, i'm not too worried about. Two inches of concrete, over 1/2 inch tonge and groove boards, on a 2x4 16" frame. The roof and balcany are different matters.

100 gallons would be a thousand pounds over a space of 8' by 2' (under or behind the couch). Hmmm, yeh, might be a problem in an earth quake.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
User avatar
Rosemead
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Orange Co. California
Karma: 0

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am

CI!!! good to see ya man! where ya been?

It's a good point on the weight but it most likely wont be an issue.

But that's another good thing about the bricks....Weight distribution. You can stack as little or as muck in an area as fits your needs.(Think dead closet space with an upper shelf, etc...only adding one or two there)

Anyways...check them out.

I had a small issue with a single gasket in my order and called them asking for a replacement. The OWNER actually called me and gave me his personal cell #....A good ol' boy, well to do....didn't have to call me personally but did. Had a really long conversation with him....amazing.

I bought them in a special sort of way in a highly discounted rate from Wise foods....If interested in buying them in boxes of 8, let me know and I'll give the details. PM me.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
User avatar
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE
 
Posts: 497
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: North of the Equator / below the 37th parallel
Karma: 25

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:CI!!! good to see ya man! where ya been?


Driven, greetings and salutations.

Once the weather changed, the farm spun up, work, family . . . life (!), I have not been on line much.

The recent events of Charlottesville, protests, counter-protests, etc. made me realize I need to pay more attention to things going on in the world aside what the goats, pigs, cows, rabbits, chickens, ducks and gardens are doing.

My apologies for the thread jack.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby SharonJWurm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 am

True! We have experienced this!
SharonJWurm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 am
Karma: 0

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby mizery0317 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Since your not worried about weight an aquarium is a good investment hiding water in plan sight, and if you want too it gives you the option to have an indoor aquaponic set up.me an the wife had one in our apt and it was just an all around good prep.
"Stay Humble"
User avatar
mizery0317
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am
Location: Yuma az.
Karma: 1

Re: Water and Southern California

Postby Liverchip » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 pm

I like the Water Brick idea. I have never seen those!
Liverchip
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm
Karma: 0


Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer