• Advertisement

2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:29 am

Started the new thread.

Grocery shopping and yard sales yesterday.

Yard sales:

Hand drill - $6 (it was an antique in beautiful shape)

Grocery shopping:

Stocked up on what we used - we've had a busy 4 weeks with visiting kid and 2 family members in the hospital, so I'm just not up on what I need to keep track of right now. Getting back into the groove, though.

Also - 3 extra Lifestraws - one for each car - arrived in the mail.
Cin

Re: 2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Going to a auction tonight I hope to find some goodies
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby kenjabroni » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm

bought another lifestraw (thanks for the heads up on that sale)

Bought another 24 chics, so im extending my secure chicken run and going to build another coop. Got some holes dug and cemented and 36 foot of fencing put up for that endeavor. Exercised..........walking/running......im too old for it lol but it will help in the long run. Eating a bit healthier too. Wife is on the kick and is doing amazing. Im straggling along, but I have lost 12 pounds to this point
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:02 pm

today i got,8 AAA and 8 AA rechargeable batteries.then filled the car and gas cans with gas..pluss i've started my next food shopping trip list.
jimLE

Postby mizery0317 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 pm

Sprouting some sweet potatoes and some corn. Working on building an aquaponics set up with the wife out of a giant fish tank the in-laws gave us. Starting to plan a trip to the local LDS cannery.
"Stay Humble"
mizery0317

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 am

I ordered 100 AA and 100 AAA batteries online, Delco, hubs said bet the dates are old, nope 2027. It was
just in time needed to put a bunch in the battery operated candles I have. Some have optional 6 and 8
hour timers so really nice for night time. They put out a suprising amount of light.

Today buying syrup, need to stock up again, I buy the off brands instead of Karo, just as good. May buy
another box of Bisquick, that stuff is all purpose.

Also need to get containers of allergy free All, I like the little packets that are pre measured. I try to stay
stocked up out here a nuisance to have to run and get stuff if you run out.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:43 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:I ordered 100 AA and 100 AAA batteries online, Delco, hubs said bet the dates are old, nope 2027. It was
just in time needed to put a bunch in the battery operated candles I have. Some have optional 6 and 8
hour timers so really nice for night time. They put out a suprising amount of light.

Today buying syrup, need to stock up again, I buy the off brands instead of Karo, just as good. May buy
another box of Bisquick, that stuff is all purpose.

Also need to get containers of allergy free All, I like the little packets that are pre measured. I try to stay
stocked up out here a nuisance to have to run and get stuff if you run out.

syrups and especially the near unprocessed Karo types are one of the forever storable foods - it's right there with sugar - if you can afford the $$$$$ layout - most of the supply houses sell 5 gallon containers bulk at righteous $$$$ savings .... you can break it down into quart canning jars or something that allows pouring ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 am

Big things....

Well, I've managed to accomplish something I haven't been able to do for 3 years...Lost 39 pounds in 4 months! I have Abs!!!!.....lol

Joking aside I'm really happy.....at 5'11" I was 239lbs and 45yrs old. I'm now under 200. :)
I did it by diet alone and occasional short hikes with the baby on my back.

My biggest prep needed was just accomplished. :) :) :)

One the "lighter" side of things for preps, there's been huge progress also......(He-He...see what I did there? :rofl: )

I'm now CCW in 34 states. I volunteer in a security team for a very large organization on weekends undercover.(keeps my skills sharp and I'm doing some good) And the people I'm in contact with as team members are lets say, "Like minded" and "Resource connected"....things are good. :)

I did about a 70% water prep rotation and plan on rotating out the other 30% today/tomorrow.

Goal this month is to get some last summer plants in and start some Fall sprouts....maybe rotate out some IOSAT pills with all the hubbub goings on and learn if I can use that in emergency for my 2 yr old.(If even possible, dosage, etc...)

Have a great month all....
~D
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Harvested the volunteer tomato bushes in the garden - probably a quart of tomatoes, which I skinned and froze for spaghetti or lasagne in the coming weeks.

Got more jalepenos and a poblano off the pepper plants and 1 cucumber off the half-dead plant. I'm surprised I'm getting anything, they were horribly neglected with all the drama around here the past few weeks.

I'm not sure if I succeeded, but I went out to the peach tree and discovered another broken branch. I brought it up, stuck it in a vase of water with a tiny bit of SuperThrive last week. The top leaves are dead, but the bottom of the branch has tiny roots..maybe 1/8 of an inch. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get another peach tree going.

The lemon tree is really growing - I planted ita couple years ago from the seed of a lemon I bought at Walmart. It's now about a foot high.

I came home to some wrinkled limes, so I cut a few open and planted about 10 seeds. We'll see what happens. I can't leave it outside when it gets some growth, the 2 lime trees I had growing were eaten down to nothing the day I left them out to get full sun.

Husband ordered some freeze-dried food from Emergency Essentials - they're having a 15% off sale.
Cin

Postby mkcr5921 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Just bought a 23 qt All American canner and large water bath canner set up, a gravity water filtration system, and Mylar bags & oxygen absorbers for sealing and storing dry foods. Learning to pressure can foods, starting a veg garden and planting entire large front yard as a fruit orchard. New at all this but enjoying learning from you all and feeling more prepared and independent every day. Have learned so much from the forum.
mkcr5921

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Congrats on the weight loss, that's awesome. I have dropped about 3 pounds in the last couple of weeks, need
17 pounds more off, and I know how hard that is. That's awesome.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Congratso n the weight loss, Driven. That's quite an accomplishment.

As for me, I put in my last day at the old job Friday :clap: and start my new job on Tuesday :D

Other than that, I've just been spending the weekend shooting people... :evil:
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks both for the congrats. :thumbup: It does feel good to know I'm finally handling one of the most important preps(And the easiest to ignore)

This N.Korea stuff is hard to not make you worry but I've seen fear take over actions in the past...Breath.Prep.Relax.

got another dosage pack of IOSAT on the way for extra family/friends(It's only $8 so NBD)....I already have enough for immediate family and now learned the dosage and prep for my little girl.
(Link here if anyone needs it.... http://www.anbex.com/files/product_patent_insert.pdf )

Rotating water out now.....I'm generally good in the area of junk silver and gold but looked at prices and decided to get some more before the price bounces too much again.

Small things....It's all we can do really anyways if already prepped.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 pm

D1RIVEN - good on losing the weight. It's a hard thing, but it's better in the long run.

I am also losing weight, but with the excitement around here, I got derailed for a few weeks and gained 5 pounds back. However, I'm back on track and only have a little more to go to hit my target. I've lost 27 pounds since February 25.

Husband and I went out today on a whim to look at campers...wrong day for that! Nobody was open for the holiday. :blush: but we stopped at a nearby marina for lunch, so I can't complain.

I've been treating the dog for some itching issues, we've been bathing him regularly, dosing with Benedryl, and using ointment on the hot spots. Nothing is working, he's miserable, so tomorrow we're off to the vet. Need to update his rabies shot, too.
Cin

Postby Anna » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 am

The end of August I started inventorying preps. Discovered I have way more home canned green beans and tomato juice than I need so switched plans for this year's tomatoes and left green beans to go to seed to harvest seed for next year's garden. I made catsup (6 pints & 3 half pints) and just took 11 pints of chili sauce out of the canners. I have a huge crop of tomatoes and peppers in the garden but the cooler temps have really slowed ripening. The smoke blowing in from Canada and Montana fires has kept our days hazy for about a week. Today was the worst with the addition of clouds it was quite a dark day.

I requested a physical therapy evaluation to see if exercise will help with back issues. Also, had my annual physical. At any age its important to stay in good physical condition but as I get older it seems even more imperative to be proactive on health issues.
Anna

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion