• Advertisement

2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: 2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month

Postby idahobeef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Bought a couple of Lifestraws on Amazon, they are on sale. Also on Amazon, I bought a HUGE 4lb box of Austin mixed crackers for just $8!!!! I will do this again shortly; Austrin cracckers last for months and months and are easy snacks that dont take anything to prepare. Bought my year end aloe very for sunburns; its always cheap in the fall and my family is very light skinned and burns very easily. I am gonna grab about $100 worth of Chef Boyardee before it goes up again; we dont LIKE it, but we will eat it and its better than starving. I am looking into buying some Lidocaine but its tricky, heh heh
idahobeef

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 pm

I am filling up the truck each time I go to town, hubs is doing the same.
Gas today was $2.599, raising daily.

Stocked up on syrup, we like pancakes and I use it in barbecue and baked
beans too. Need to buy more Bisquick too.

Going to check out Big Lots, many times they have items for less like beans,
pasta, and canned goods.

This deal with N Korea is worrying me.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 pm

We've been worried with this NK thing as well.

We purchased 3 cases of water at Costco on Saturday as we are looking at a major hurricane in the SE as well. Picked up jugs of water too which I like for cooking. We will use our rain barrel water for toilet flushing.

Sadly, due to weather, our solar has not been installed. Clear weather is needed and it wasn't clear last week, so they are looking at next week....after the hurricane :|

We had wood shelving built in our utility room, the poly is drying as I type. In a couple days, we will be able to move stuff into there. We live in a small house so we needed more storage space as my walk in pantry is full to the gills.

The muscadines did very well this year. For August I was able to can 24 half pints of jelly/jam and 6 quarts of juice blend. The Scuppernongs are late so I was able to make 7 half pints of jam on Monday. This is it for the grapes. Still a few on the vine for fresh eating but not enough to do any more preserving.

I have taken inventory in the pantry and resupplied a few things. We will go out tomorrow and that will be the last time we go until after the storm. We figure IF it heads our way, people will be going nuts by Friday. Hubs started the generator up yesterday, started on the first crank. It's a Honda we bought when Katrina hit MS and it is still going strong. We will bring everything we might need to the house in case it floods. Our main worry is power outage due to wind and minor flooding.

We will get in the 50s tonight so I am expecting the peppers to be done. I have been picking gypsy and green peppers and freezing them cleaned and cut. They will make great stuffed peppers over the winter. The last of my container tomatoes are almost ready to pick, no new blossoms.

Oh, also got my Rx filled yesterday, got some Aleve, anti itch cream and bar soap (on clearance) at WM.

MrsFP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm rotating out all my 6-gallon jugs of water. I *know* water is good for always, if properly stored (it is) but heck, if you have water available why not freshen it up.

LESSON LEARNED: What you could pick up 6 years ago, you may NOT be able to pick up now! When I filled those containers, I filled them in the kitchen, carried them out to the garage and stored them away. I just turned 60 ( :shock: :( :( :( ) and NOW I can NOT lift them at all! I am a weakling! I had to use our handcart to get them from the garage to the driveway to dump out the water. This is a horrible realization :( .
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 pm

RM, I had purchased 7 gallon water jugs. After my husband died I got rid of them, as I knew there would be no way I could lift them, let alone carry them. (Fortunately, someone on the boards took them, so they didn't go to waste!)

I'll be ordering the water bricks once I move. I think I can pick up 3 1/2 gallons for a while yet!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby IceFire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Got the rest of the insulation I needed to finish the walls of the "she shed", and also got the first 12 panels of sheetrock, as well as drywall screws, tape, and "mud".

Other than that, getting settled into the new job.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby pilgrimtr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 am

being on the gulf coast of Florida and with Harvey, Irma. Jose. and Katia. I filled two 55 gallon barrels. one with gas, and the other with diesel for the generator. fill containers with water and changed oil and filter on the generator. picked up around the property and checked the hurricane shutters. why buy bottled water when I can fill it from the faucet. yes I'm on a well with a generator but, it's best to be prepared. after all it is a prepper site. pilgrim
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 am

I was off this week and wanted to get a bit more done, but had family in the hospital which came first.

I did take the time in the waiting room to read up on roasting coffee. It was a more mainstream book than some of my other titles. ;)

I did some more inventory and consolidation of supplies with my incremental purchases. That involved getting batteries in the battery tote, medical supplies checked for exp. dates and sorted into the appropriate totes.

Ordered a few books from Chelsea Publishing which is/was having a sale. Those were on butchering and forest permaculture.

Today I'm going for a new firearm ID card since I've moved...and I'm still in the Peoples Republic of NJ
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 pm

anita wrote:RM, I had purchased 7 gallon water jugs. After my husband died I got rid of them, as I knew there would be no way I could lift them, let alone carry them. (Fortunately, someone on the boards took them, so they didn't go to waste!)

I'll be ordering the water bricks once I move. I think I can pick up 3 1/2 gallons for a while yet!

for the water jugs - 5/6/7 gallons whatever - you can fill them in place and either siphon or pump out enough to manage the weight - treat them like everyone does with the big 50 gallon drums ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm

NJMike wrote:I was off this week and wanted to get a bit more done, but had family in the hospital which came first.

I did take the time in the waiting room to read up on roasting coffee. It was a more mainstream book than some of my other titles. ;)

I did some more inventory and consolidation of supplies with my incremental purchases. That involved getting batteries in the battery tote, medical supplies checked for exp. dates and sorted into the appropriate totes.

Ordered a few books from Chelsea Publishing which is/was having a sale. Those were on butchering and forest permaculture.

Today I'm going for a new firearm ID card since I've moved...and I'm still in the Peoples Republic of NJ

where & why does NJ require a location visit? - can't be done thru the mail or online?
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby anita » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
anita wrote:RM, I had purchased 7 gallon water jugs. After my husband died I got rid of them, as I knew there would be no way I could lift them, let alone carry them. (Fortunately, someone on the boards took them, so they didn't go to waste!)

for the water jugs - 5/6/7 gallons whatever - you can fill them in place and either siphon or pump out enough to manage the weight - treat them like everyone does with the big 50 gallon drums ....

I understand, but they were stackable, and not easy for me to deal with, as I'm moving. I did have a siphon for them, but not convenient to fill in place.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby NJMike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 pm

@Illini Warrior-

In NJ a firearm ID card is typically issued by the municipality or by the State Police in more rural areas with no town police, and per State Police rules.

If you move you have to get a new card issued. In my case even though I had an old card they still require 2 references to mail in a questionnaire and I have to schedule at an independent facility new fingerprints. After that it might be another 4 weeks.

You need a firearm ID card to buy ammunition and long arms.

To buy a handgun you need to buy a purchase permit per gun in advance and the permit expires if you don't finish your purchase.

^that, taxes, traffic, and too many other laws and regs is why I'm eventually fleeing NJ to PA or somewhere else.
NJMike

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Pilgram.....be safe. Thoughts are with you but you sound like youre pretty good to go. Irma is a massive storm.

NJMike.....you need to get out of NJ. Holy smokes that is a bunch of bullhonky you have to go through there.

Ice......you make us all look like slackers HA. You are incredible with everything your doing and getting done up there.

Here on my little homestead I am expanding my protected chicken run and building a third coop. I may get into goats into the future but have zero knowledge and experience with any of that and any one of these pens ive made could be used with some minor adjusments to house a goat or three.

Ive started walking and now included some running into my time. My wife has been a huge motivator so I am trying to get back into some decent shape. Im really impressed with some of my running so far considering I snapped both bones in my lower right leg 2 years ago. I never thought itd happen. Especially with me still overweight and getting older. Im going to keep at it because its making me feel good. Now if Driven would lend me some abs.......HAHA
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Retrieved a box that had been stored at my parents house for several years. Contained a radiation meter (military model) 2 Israeli children gas mask, 1 Israeli military gas mask, 3 extra filters, numerous pairs of military butyl rubber gloves (NBC type), and a few other goodies. All going out to BOL. Picked up 2 military 15 round M-1 carbine magazines (still in wrapper), 2 magazines for my trusty and loyal Ruger SR22, picked up some flex seal tape, and met with a build to get a quote for a new 24'x40' pole barn. Watching all the doom and gloom in the world- historic hurricanes, powerful earthquake in Mexico, the most tense potential nuclear stand off since the Cuban missile crises, big Geomagnetic storm and the list goes on. Not slowing down prepping here.
3ADScout

Postby Cin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Grocery shopping and yard sales today:

Yard sales:
1 DVD - $1
2 circle knitting tools - $3.50
1 capiz shell star - FREE

Grocery shopping:

For the LTS:

2 cans Keystone meats (chicken and beef) - Walmart has started selling these!
2 cans tuna
2 cans baked beans
4 cans chunky soup
Bactricin ointment
2 cases of dog food (stocking up the winter supply)

Husband ordered 6 cans of freeze-dried refried beans from EE, they were on sale. Came in today.

Picked up another 24 ounce jar of local honey from a friend's hive

In the FYI department - Our Walmart has created a little preparedness section - a small bucket of 55 meals advertised as a 48 hour food supply for 4 people...it contained pancake mix, oatmeal, mac and cheese, a rice dish, and I think some kind of meat dish - all freeze dried for $19.95 (didn't buy it, don't need it). The Keystone meats are new, too. This was all in the bulk foods/canned meats section of the store.

I bought an Ampad file binder to organize our manuals and warranties on various appliances. I've had them in a drawer, but it became a pile that was never cleaned out, found manuals for stuff we've not owned for years. Time to declutter and downsize it!
Cin

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion