• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: 2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Cin- I really like Keystone meats. Wife and I both like the cooked ground beef since it is so easy to come home from work and quickly make tacos without have to cook the meat. They have been selling them here in NW PA for a few years now.
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm

kenjabroni wrote:Ice......you make us all look like slackers HA. You are incredible with everything your doing and getting done up there.

Here on my little homestead I am expanding my protected chicken run and building a third coop. I may get into goats into the future but have zero knowledge and experience with any of that and any one of these pens ive made could be used with some minor adjusments to house a goat or three.

Actually, I feel like a slacker because things aren't progressing here as quickly as I'd like in getting this property turned into a self-sufficient homestead. Things WOULD go more quickly if I could work on it full-time, but the need to earn a paycheck prevents that from happening.

One thing to keep in mind about goats...they can be absolute Houdinis! It's not unusual to find them up a tree (which they can use as a "launch pad" to escape the pen, if the tree is near the fence.) They like to climb. They see fences as a challenge to be overcome. They VERY easily learn to open the latches on gates (I have to keep carabiner through the latch hole, PLUS I have to keep the gate tied shut, as my doe has discovered that if she pushes on the gate with her full weight, the latch will turn and the gate will open.) Fortunately, they prefer to stay right next to the horses, so they were easy to round up.

Oh, and the bucks smell....BAD! If a doe is "in milk", then any and all bucks need to be kept far, FAR away downwind because the stink from the boys will taint the milk. (That's why goat milk sometimes has a "funky" taste...because the bucks have been in proximity to the does.) If you can, just get a doe or two, and "rent" or borrow a buck to "do the deed" to breed the doe (usually in the fall, for most breeds) and then send him back so you don't have to deal with "buck stink" the rest of the time.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Hubs put the air brake controller on my new truck, took some doing, he had to drill through stuff to
mount it. He had the rest done, base plate mounted and electrical. He put on the battery
disconnect, durn hard to reach to hook up, but $2500 later its about ready to pull. Well you
never know. For now we are just talking a trip to New York to see the area where son is going
and they are going to be living. Looks like we are going to have to help them house hunt as
he is not going to get time off, bummer for him. First house he has ever bought and unless he
waits till spring, I would, he will be buying one mid winter, may get a good deal that why, but
not my idea of time to move.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 am

Started getting the drywall up in the "she shed"...got the back wall done, and a sheet of drywall on each of the sides adjacent to the back wall. Can't do any more, though, until after the electrician comes and wires it for outlets and lights.

The refrigerator FINALLY got fixed yesterday afternoon, so after putting up the drywall, headed off to town to do a "restocking run", since I'd had to toss the food that was ruined when the fridge went kaput, and needed to replace it now that I have a functional fridge again.

Emptied the trailer from the gunfight show stuff (hauling all of our gunfight sets and gear is NOT what I bought it for!) so now it's ready to actually haul livestock (which is the reason I bought it in the first place!)

Another thing I was able to do this evening, now that I have a working refrigerator...got a batch of dog food made. (since I need to refrigerate it, I couldn't make food for the dogs...poor things have been stuck eating store-bought, although I've been trying to make it as palatable as possible for them.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jimLE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 am

i went to town and did my primary shopping for the month,on the 7th..1st thing i noticed them low on,are the different types of chips..then i noticed the eggs are low in stock..in which,they normally keep both well stocked..where i do my shopping at.is somewhere around a 2 1/2 hour drive to the north side of houston..i talked with the cashier some,while checking out..she said that their having somewhat of a hard time at keeping the shelves stocked,on some items...
i bought a 4 pack of chicken in the can,each one has 12.5 ounces of chicken.stocked up on ground beef and some other items while there,as well..then went next door to sam's club.stocked up on pork chops..got a box of folgers filter packs of coffee..it has 30 filter packs in it..figured it'd be good to have on hand if needed.
jimLE

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Since I had to take the car to gas up today, I also filled the 2 5-gallon containers with diesel for the tractor. Little convenience store/gas station 5 miles from me is actually 2 cents per gallon cheaper as well as closer than gong in to town (12 miles).
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:02 am

Grocery shopping and yardsale day.

Yardsales around here are getting really bleak. Old Christmas stuff, lots of useless glass/dishware, bedding and clothing that should be in the trash (stained, torn beyond repair, no buttons, badly pilled, worn thin, broken zippers), baskets, and many broken toys missing parts. That said...

An antique oil lamp - $15
A large jacket for my foster brother - $1
5 items 2T toddler winter clothing for grand-niece - $3

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
3 more cans Keystone meats (LTS)
6 cans of assorted freeze-dried food

Been a lot of tourists in our area recently, more so than usual since this is the end of tourist season here. I'm thinking we have some refugees from Texas.
Cin

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Its auction time tonight.. Last time i scored on a lot of hand operated air cooled garden tools that were easily repaired. Maybe I will get lucky and get some cheap produce tonight. Sometimes its a crap shoot but I love the auction..
Will let you know later
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Did a Costco run yesterday...got a bunch of AA and AAA batteries, as well as several other goodies. Husband wanted to hit Wally world, so while we were there, picked up some "metals", in a few different calibers :evil: Also picked up some cedar closet lining boards for the closet area of the "she shed"

Got a bit more insulating done in my "she shed", and got two more drywall panels up. Got the first two courses of cedar boards up in the back, and got started on the third course, before it got too dark to see (no lights or electricity in the shed as of yet.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Just got back from the Mother Earth News Fair last night. It was my first time attending and I had a great time the entire weekend. Attended talks, met up with some like-minded folks, learned a bit, and picked up a few things.

The classes were a mix of very informative and stuff I already knew. I took workshops or seminars on herbal salves, kombucha, kimchi, and other fermentation, inspecting for varroa mites in bee colonies, history of axes, sharpening, DIY storage batteries, and animal processing. I also walked the many booths, looked and listened in for ideas on many other topics.

I didn't do a whole lot of shopping. I picked up two books on fermentation, a maple wood mason jar tamper, wire strippers, Bad Dog Tools HDII and drill bits, lye for soap making, a sprouting jar lid, some seeds, some ME themed T-shirts and a few blocks of farm cheese to enjoy back home. I also returned with a mason jar each of kombucha and kimchi from the workshops and a free knife from the sharpening demo.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Went to the local TSC for some rawhide bones for the pooch and must have blanked out now I have 18 Asian black chicks going in the brooder box :eek:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Got my well-woman check at the doctor's done for the year. All is well, except I still have poundage to lose (30 lbs lost, 10 to go).

Got the dog's shots all done, rabies certificate, clean bill of health. If we decide to travel with him, he's up-to-date now.

The contractor finished the bathroom remodel - took out the old pedestal sink and made a cabinet. It looks pretty spiffy, Husband is painting and putting on the drawer pulls. I also had cabinets put over the sink and the door up by the ceiling. They "disappear" and now I have storage! YAY! Bathroom things can be removed from my closet and stored in the bathroom now, leaving storage space in my closet.

I started cleaning the front porch for winter, putting the larger chairs and cushions away, and setting up the area where Husband will be building a small enclosure for the cats' outdoor houses. Their houses are insulated and heated, but I want a long, open box to put the houses in so they can eat on top, where the dog can't steal their food every time he comes onto the porch (which is multiple times a day).
Cin

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 pm

NJMike,

Glad you enjoyed the MEN Fair! There is definitely a LOT to see and do there!

After getting home from work today, got several more courses of the cedar closet lining done on the back wall of the shed, and made a start (2 courses) on each of the side walls before running out of light to see. Won't be able to do any more for a couple of days, as I have meetings/rehearsals for the next couple of days.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Our shelving in the utility room was completed in time for us to move stuff back in from outside before the hurricane came our way. This enabled us to move some stuff around create more space in the pantry and move some LTS foods from the barn into the house for better temperature control.

Finally had the solar installed. Still in the learning stages but this was a major prep for us. We still have to take down some trees for better panel exposure.

Fall garden plants are in the ground - lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and collards. Will seed some turnips and kale this evening. Planning the garden expansion. Want to make a strawberry bed, plant the garlic and try growing some Seminole squash. We will fence in all of it over the winter with metal fencing. We have temporary mesh fence up right now.

I wrote about our hurricane experience on another thread. We learned a few things with that experience. We see those opportunities as a way to test our preps and ourselves.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Cin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Grocery shopping today:

Restocked what we used

LTS:
2 cans Keystone meat
2 large cans Bush's beans

For power outages this winter, I took a suggestion someone made on the Hurricane Irma thread and bought 1 one-gallon water jug with a spigot for the small bathroom, and 2 three gallon water jugs with spigots for the large bathroom and the kitchen. It will enable us to wash our hands as needed and have water on hand for other needs by the sinks (dishes, coffee, tea, ramen, etc).

Just goes to show, as long as we've been prepping, we still learn new things.
Cin

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion