• Advertisement

2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: 2017 SEPTEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month

Postby IceFire » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Still working on the cedar "closet lining" in the back of the shed...the back wall is about 2/3 finished, while the side walls are about 1/3 done. I'll probably need to get another 3 boxes in order to finish. Hoping to get it done this weekend, then I can start putting in the closet system.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 3ADScout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:04 am

Picked up a pump for a 5 gallon Water bottle, 2 silicon pot/pan handle protectors by Lodge, 100 rounds of 12ga #4 shot, picked up a roll of heavy duty Velcro on clearance at Home Depot for $6.32 (was $32), printed off information on radioactive fallout decay rates, radiation dose limits/effects, unit symbols and conversions and forms to record dosimeter readings for each person/dosimeter, radiological survey and Decon forms. Picked up the "Life as we knew it" series.
3ADScout

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:17 pm

mostly been pedaling around lately..i have buckets and totes with food and other stuff in them,in which their kept in my bedroom closet,right along with some home canned foods..got a handwritten list taped to each bucket indicating to what's in them.got the canned foods properly boxed.next will be numbering the buckets and totes.and printing a list of what's in each bucket and tote.then putting that into 3 ring notebook..
jimLE

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:32 pm

jimLE wrote:mostly been pedaling around lately..i have buckets and totes with food and other stuff in them,in which their kept in my bedroom closet,right along with some home canned foods..got a handwritten list taped to each bucket indicating to what's in them.got the canned foods properly boxed.next will be numbering the buckets and totes.and printing a list of what's in each bucket and tote.then putting that into 3 ring notebook..

if there's any possibility of any outsiders seeing those inventoried totes/buckets - you should just assign a code number/color and keep the actual inventory listing filed away separately .... not a bad idea to fake label SHTF gear storage containers with something average like " Christmas decorations" .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:27 pm

nope..outsiders don't get with-in 10 feet of my closet..and what makes it better.bedroom door is on the same side of the room as my closet..pretty good idea on mislabel where only i know what the labels means..
jimLE

Postby IceFire » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Finished the cedar closet liner today! Now, I just need to get the closet system purchased and installed, and start moving a few things out there. Also got the saddlebags and trunk on the motorcycle cleared out, so that I can sell it.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby arkieready » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm

I haven't done much of anything in awhile. Got the blahs. But. I did get the shed where I can get in it, several empty cardboard boxes tossed out. Restacked existing stuff. Got several tubs of stuff out of the RV. It's too cluttery in there. It's getting time to think about getting out of the RV, its deteriorating and I'm getting tired of RV living.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
jimLE wrote:mostly been pedaling around lately..i have buckets and totes with food and other stuff in them,in which their kept in my bedroom closet,right along with some home canned foods..got a handwritten list taped to each bucket indicating to what's in them.got the canned foods properly boxed.next will be numbering the buckets and totes.and printing a list of what's in each bucket and tote.then putting that into 3 ring notebook..

if there's any possibility of any outsiders seeing those inventoried totes/buckets - you should just assign a code number/color and keep the actual inventory listing filed away separately .... not a bad idea to fake label SHTF gear storage containers with something average like " Christmas decorations" .....

That's kinda what I do. I label totes to tell me where they are stored and the corresponding number to the number I put in my notebook. For example, I'll label tote A-1 on the outside.....which means nothing to anyone but me. A - means it's in the storage shed and 1 means it is tote #1 in my notebook.....so at the top of the page is" A-1" and all the contents of the tote are listed on that page. If I move the tote to the basement, I just change the label on the container and the notebook to B "basement"-(whatever the next number is for the B totes). It's pretty easy to do with a 3-ring binder b/c you can just move the pages around in any order that suits your needs. Now, if someone found my notebook and decided to read it...... But I highly doubt anyone, including a thief would bother to go through my file cabinet and dig out my notebook. I also highly doubt those items are what they would be looking for.

You could also use the letter system to categorize your stuff. A might be food, B might be medical, C might be hardware, D might be canning supplies, etc. Or you could combine letters to distinguish location and type of prep as well.....like AD-1. I don't do that but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

This month I added some books to my library, stored another 10 gallons of water, added some canned soup to the pantry, and added some ammo. I also went out and did some practice shooting. :gunshooting: The other day I found a 5 gallon gas can in the middle of the road. I went back and picked it up. :clap: It must've blown out of the back of someones boat as lots of folks were getting boats out of the water for the season. Everyone was swerving out of the way of it......can't believe someone didn't pick it up before I did. Stopped at a few garage sales and got some knives, books, and a couple sweatshirts.......but garage sales were mostly a bust.
angie_nrs

Postby jimLE » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 pm

the buckets will be labeled 1 to 5..same for the totes in there..i figure that the list for each "might" be short enough,where i can list everything in each bucket on one page.then however things turn out for the totes.im thinking,that'll be at least 2 or 3 pages..then another for my home canned foods..
jimLE

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm

angie_nrs wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:

That's kinda what I do. I label totes to tell me where they are stored and the corresponding number to the number I put in my notebook. For example, I'll label tote A-1 on the outside.....which means nothing to anyone but me. A - means it's in the storage shed and 1 means it is tote #1 in my notebook.....so at the top of the page is" A-1" and all the contents of the tote are listed on that page. If I move the tote to the basement, I just change the label on the container and the notebook to B "basement"-(whatever the next number is for the B totes). It's pretty easy to do with a 3-ring binder b/c you can just move the pages around in any order that suits your needs. Now, if someone found my notebook and decided to read it...... But I highly doubt anyone, including a thief would bother to go through my file cabinet and dig out my notebook. I also highly doubt those items are what they would be looking for.

You could also use the letter system to categorize your stuff. A might be food, B might be medical, C might be hardware, D might be canning supplies, etc. Or you could combine letters to distinguish location and type of prep as well.....like AD-1. I don't do that but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

This month I added some books to my library, stored another 10 gallons of water, added some canned soup to the pantry, and added some ammo. I also went out and did some practice shooting. :gunshooting: The other day I found a 5 gallon gas can in the middle of the road. I went back and picked it up. :clap: It must've blown out of the back of someones boat as lots of folks were getting boats out of the water for the season. Everyone was swerving out of the way of it......can't believe someone didn't pick it up before I did. Stopped at a few garage sales and got some knives, books, and a couple sweatshirts.......but garage sales were mostly a bust.

i went to color coding for the different supply categories .... vinyl electrical tape comes in rainbow colors across the spectrum - put a color band around the top and you can quikly prioritize what containers would be moved first ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Got the closet system and started installing it...need to get additional screws to finish getting the hanging rods attached to the shelving units (since I bought an additional shelving unit, and have two of the rods attached between the two units, instead of between a shelving unit and the wall, the screws provided with the system for screwing into the shelving didn't take "alternative setups" into account.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby idahobeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am

Amazon had a sale on Austin snack crackers, 58 of them (four POUNDS) for just $8. They included several types of cheese spread on the cracker and cookies. This is the third time I have bought this item, its just a fabulous quick no-cook snack and they last FOREVER thanks to the absurd amounts of preservatives in them, HAH! Also bought two additional Quaker Chewey Dipps from Amazon, 58 of them under $10. Luckily, Amazon delivers because my health has faded and I am unable to drive anymore.
idahobeef

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Hauled the Husky pup in to the vet this evening to get her rattlesnake vaccine "booster." While the vaccine does NOT eliminate the need for antivenin treatment if they get bitten, what it DOES do is reduce the SYMPTOMS (pain, swelling, and tissue damage), and gives them a little more TIME, and therefore a better chance of survival. Something to consider for those living in "rattlesnake country."
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:04 am

Not a blessed thing. the refrigerator died and we had to buy another one lol that took a lot of "prepping" money. just glad we had the ways and means to buy a new one. so nice not having that mortgage anymore
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

Scored on some chicken leg quarters going to try and can some chicken soup this week-end
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion