• Advertisement

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #6 (Sept 2017)

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #6 (Sept 2017)

Postby Mollypup » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:35 pm

anita wrote:
But Molly, if they needed this war (not saying they don't didn't they need it last year or the year before? How about 2008 or 2009--didn't we need it then?

My point is that I doubt he can hit everywhere and everything at once. And, if that's the case, then our troops in Europe or floating around at sea, or the British, French (and good grief, I hope we don't have to rely on the French) etc, are going to take him and his minions out. They aren't just going to be bystanders.

The need for a global conflict (instead of your run of the mill war) has been intensifying each year. 2008-9 was blamed on bad business practices I believe, then govt bailed them out. The economy is tanking again fairly fast......and I don't think after the public's reaction last time the govt dares to bail them out when it crashes. Economy though, isn't the only reason a global war is needed, there are power & political reasons too.

But you just can't willy nilly thrust your country into a global conflict. The public is likely to turn on you in a serious way. You've got to get them used to the idea. While doing that you've got to build up an enemy in their eyes. Then you have to convince them this enemy is a large enough threat to them personally to finally thrust them into a global conflict.

We might live in a country where the majority now are brainwashed sheeple......but a huge amount of them also are cowards & the last thing they want is to march off to war or have their kids marching off to war. They're lazy & entitled. Have someone else do it....... It takes a considerable amount of convincing to change that mindset. And I've been watching it change even with folks around here. First it was LFM, aw please he's a joke, then it was LFM oh, he can't get any nuclear tech, later...oh he's testing nuclear test but see it failed.....then oh well, he had a success........oh, more success......now he's threatening us? Someone needs to DO something.......and so on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Powers that Be allowed an attack on our soil. Honestly? It's the only thing that would motive everyone in the same direction. Of course if it's an EMP we're dead in the water & it doesn't matter much.

So do we strike first then duke it out with china & Russia but prevent an attack from NK? Or do we wait until they hit us (with god knows what) so we can go after them without bringing China & Russia into it.....providing they stick to their word & we're able to do so?

The US govt has walked us into a no win situation. I believe it was done deliberately. No one is that stupid. No one. Not when we went above & beyond to make certain Iran (I believe?) had no nuclear devices. We've ignored this threat too long for anyone to believe it wasn't deliberate. It's just not how we operate.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Yeah, you have to convince the sheeple, as the big wheels and their kids will not go to war. They have
to get the common man all worked up to go. They and their offspring are to special to do that in most
cases, its the poor man that fights wars. But they will have no problem sending them off once again.

I think most people have no problem defending their country, however, folks have seen so many phony
wars I'm not sure they are willing to just march off any longer.

This N Korea thing, I just don't know about. Likely they will keep pushing it until we have to do something
and about all you can do is drop the big one on them. Then that will likely create a global conflict. Not
looking forward to any of it. Just want to be prepped the best I can. I don't want to see more wars, but its
inevitable at some point. Who knows wars might be in the grand scheme of to control the population.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm

What happens if Kim attacks? 5 things to know about North Korea
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/asia/nort ... index.html

Mon September 4, 2017

(CNN)North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb on Sunday, raising fears that Pyongyang is getting close to constructing a nuclear-tipped missile that could reach the US.

The weapon was the most powerful North Korea has tested to date, with separate estimates putting the explosive yield at 50 or 120 kilotons.
To put that in context, the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945 -- which instantly killed 80,000 people -- created a yield of 15 kilotons.
Here's what you need to know to get up to speed.

Why is North Korea testing a nuclear bomb?

A nuclear weapon is the ultimate survival mechanism for an isolated regime with little influence and few friends.

Many experts believe North Korea would not use its weapons first. Kim values the survival of his family dynasty and the regime. He knows the use of a nuclear weapon would start a war the country could not win.

Kim also craves international recognition -- and a nuclear arsenal is one guaranteed way to make the global community sit up and take notice.
"North Korean leaders know that dead people do not need money, and they believe that without nuclear weapons they will be as good as dead," Andrei Lankov, a professor at Kookmin University in Seoul, South Korea, wrote in an oped for CNN.

Are we going to war?

US Defense Minister James Mattis warned of a "massive military response" to any threat from North Korea against the United States. When US President Donald Trump left church on Sunday morning, he was asked if he'd attack North Korea. His answer? "We'll see."

While the US possesses overwhelming firepower compared to North Korea, any American strike on North Korea would likely expose neighbors South Korea and Japan to devastating casualties, analysts say.

Plus, with two launches of long-range missiles this year and the latest hydrogen bomb test, the US homeland may now potentially be at risk of a nuclear strike.

Experts say it's very difficult to verify North Korea's claims, but the very possibility of such a scenario makes the risks of any military action unimaginably high.

What happens if Kim attacks?

If North Korea were to strike first -- and last month Pyongyang threatened to send four missiles to the waters off the US territory of Guam and later sent a missile over Japan -- the US has a number of defenses in place.

They include the anti-missile defense system THAAD, which shoots down short, medium and intermediate ballistic missiles, and the ship-based Aegis system, which can track 100 missiles simultaneously and intercept them.

These systems, which analysts liken to a bullet taking out another bullet, could in theory take down a missile with a nuclear payload without detonating it -- although the radiation emitted would still pose risks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 6.47.39 PM.png

What other options does the US have?

It boils down to two: Sanctions and negotiations. The United Nations Security Council has been trying to stifle North Korea's nuclear weapons program for more than a decade -- with little success.

There's not much left for President Trump to go after, although it could yet target crude oil -- something North Korea exports for foreign currency and imports from China, and its textiles industry.

On the campaign trail, Trump floated the prospect of sitting down with Kim, potentially over a burger, but, in office, he has talked tough on North Korea. On Wednesday, he appeared to rule out negotiations, saying on Twitter that "talking is not the answer."

The US position, however, has long been that it is willing to talk with North Korea -- but only on the condition that it abandons its nuclear missile program.

Some analysts say the US should accept a freeze -- allowing Pyongyang to keep its nuclear missiles but refrain from testing and developing any more -- to get North Korea to the negotiating table.

"It is a choice between bad and worse, and in this case all alternatives to the freeze are indeed, worse," said Lankov.

Who else could help?
Trump has prodded China to rein its unruly neighbor but many analysts don't share the White House's confidence in Beijing's ability to force change from Pyongyang.

While China has consistently supported UN sanctions on North Korea over the country's nuclear and ballistic missile testing, the US complains Beijing does not do enough economically to pressure Pyongyang and threatened targeted sanctions on Chinese companies.

"Despite Washington's hopes, China won't solve the North Korea problem, regardless of how often the Trump administration insists that it can or must," Jennifer Lind, associate professor of government at Dartmouth College, wrote for CNN last month.

"China worries most about political stability on the Korean peninsula. The Chinese fear that serious economic pressure would risk causing Kim Jong Un's regime to collapse, which could unleash chaos on the peninsula, and usher in a variety of long-term problems."
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:53 pm

ANOTHER one????

North Korea reportedly preparing to launch another missile
http://fox59.com/2017/09/04/north-korea ... r-missile/

September 4, 2017

South Korea strengthened the deployment of a controversial US-made missile defense system and launched a huge show of military might on Monday in response to North Korea's hydrogen bomb test.

Seoul said the North appeared to be preparing to launch more missiles after Sunday's test rocked the region. South Korea conducted a series of live-fire drills and said the US was preparing to bolster its military presence in the region.

Russia warned that it would consider ramping up its military assets in response, and China warned that the deployment of the missile defense system, THAAD, risked escalating the already tense situation.

The deepening crisis has caused frayed relations on both sides. North Korea's continued belligerence was a blow to China, which has failed to keep its ally in check despite persistent warnings. China said Monday it had made a "stern representation" to North Korea over the test.

Meanwhile Donald Trump, the US president, opened up a rift with South Korea, saying it risked "appeasement" of Pyongyang.

Latest developments:

-- Briefing parliament, South Korean military officials said there were ongoing signs that Pyongyang was preparing to test another Intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

-- Seoul said it would activate four Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) launch pads and said the US was considering the deployment of an aircraft carrier and more bombers.

-- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said Moscow could increase its missile presence in the Pacific in response to the deployment of the US missile defense system.

-- South Korea conducted a series of military drills, including a simulation of an attack on the North's nuclear-testing site. More live-fire tests would follow, it said.

-- The United Nations Security Council was due to hold an emergency session in New York.. Leaders of Japan and South Korea held a 20-minute phone call Monday to discuss tougher sanctions.

-- US defense secretary, James Mattis, said any threat from North Korea to the US would be met with a "massive military response."

South Korea's response

Seoul responded to North Korea's nuclear test with a show of military might that was intended to demonstrate its willingness to "wipe out" the regime of Kim Jong Un, South Korea's Defense Ministry said.

South Korea's army and air force carried out a joint drill that involved multiple F-15K fighter jets and surface-to-surface ballistic missiles. They hit targets off the country's east coast to simulate a strike on North Korea's nuclear test site, according to a statement from the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff.

At a Defense Ministry press conference, Major General Jang Kyung Soo, said South Korea had detected "continuous signs" that North Korea was preparing another ICBM test. He said the North could launch the missiles ahead of September 9, the anniversary of the day North Korea was founded, in a show of celebration at home and defiance to the US.

He said South Korea plans to carry out another missile drill to show its "strong will and ability to respond."

On Sunday Pyongyang claimed it has the ability to place a miniaturized nuclear weapon on an ICBM. If confirmed, it would be a significant advance for its weapons program, achieved far sooner than experts had predicted.

Rift with Washington

President Trump has not thought to have spoken with his South Korean counterpart, President Moon Jae-in, since Sunday's test, though US and South Korean military advisers have been in touch. Instead, Trump warned South Korea in a Twitter message Sunday that "talk of appeasement" would not work.

It was unclear what prompted the comment. In the past, President Moon has advocated dialogue with Pyongyang. Moon's office responded by reiterating the government would "pursue the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula through peace with our allies."

Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the US House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, cautioned against criticizing South Korea.

"I'm sure that Pyongyang enjoys seeing us fight with our own ally in the region," Schiff said. "We need to be working hand in hand with South Korea and with Japan... why we would want to show divisions with South Korea makes no sense at all."

China embarrassed

Pyongyang's actions appear, in part, designed to test the limits of China's support. Experts say its latest nuclear test could have been timed to coincide an international economic summit currently being hosted in Beijing.

North Korea has timed missile tests this year to coincide with other important Chinese events, including a missile test during a summit in May on China's "Belt and Road" regional economic initiative.

Geng Shuang, a spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Bejing had "launched stern representation" to North Korea over its nuclear test. In a regular press briefing Monday, Geng said the test was "wrong" and "against the will of the international community and will meet with China's disapproval."

He said China opposed North Korea's missile development program and said it wanted to return to six-party talks as soon as possible.

Responding to a question about the deployment of more US military assets in the region, Geng said China hoped all sides would "work to ease the tension instead of escalating the tension."

Trump criticized China in his series of tweets Sunday, saying North Korea's actions were a "great threat and embarrassment to China, which is trying to help but with little success."

Trump also said that the US was considering cutting off all trade with any country that carried out business with North Korea. That would include China, which provides an economic lifeline to North Korea. China is the largest US trading partner in terms of goods, and a trade war between the two nations could be devastating.

Geng said it was "unacceptable" and "not fair" to be sanctioned for trading with North Korea when it is working hard to "peacefully resolve" tensions. China was "committed to resolving this issue through dialogue and consultation," he said.

International response

The UN Security Council was due to meet in emergency session Monday, the second in a week.

US and its allies are looking to push through a new package of sanctions, including measures to restrict oil shipments to North Korea, US officials said. Most of North Korea's oil comes from China, and the US believes that stopping these shipments would place severe pressure on the North Korean regime.

After meeting last week in response to North Korea's launch of a missile that flew over the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, the UN stopped short of announcing additional restrictions on top of those already passed in early August. Those are some of the most stringent to date, and the Trump administration has started punishing companies for doing business with North Korea -- so-called "secondary sanctions."

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said he was drafting tough new sanctions against North Korea.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm

I watched an involved documentary that proved THAAD is basically useless. So I wouldn't count on it protecting anything.

China's "embarrassed"?? Why?? Because they can't get away with setting off nuclear bombs every other day & NK can?

Sanctions have done nothing & will continue to have no effect. (except perhaps to tick off other nations)

Love how we keep hee hawing around the issue while he does test after test fine tuning his weapons. Brilliant. Yup.

I do think he keeps setting them off in order to get us used to it..........that way once he's ready, by the time we realize it's not another test it will be too late. It would explain all the announcements he's making as well.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:39 pm

I've been wondering about THAAD too, if it works why don't they shoot those down?
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Straydog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:I've been wondering about THAAD too, if it works why don't they shoot those down?

My thought is we also are making psychological moves preemptive to war. I remember when the first gulf war started. A multitude of weapons never heard of or if there had been conversation of were never confirmed until unleashed. We as a country would be fools for playing all our cards at once in my opinion. Good poker players maintain a good "poker face". War will not be pretty but backed into a corner we will have no option but to bite back so if that happens we need to "bite" hard enough that we convince others to back off. Again, just my opinion as a current keyboard warrior.
Straydog
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 am

Straydog wrote:
PatrioticStabilist wrote:I've been wondering about THAAD too, if it works why don't they shoot those down?

My thought is we also are making psychological moves preemptive to war. I remember when the first gulf war started. A multitude of weapons never heard of or if there had been conversation of were never confirmed until unleashed. We as a country would be fools for playing all our cards at once in my opinion. Good poker players maintain a good "poker face". War will not be pretty but backed into a corner we will have no option but to bite back so if that happens we need to "bite" hard enough that we convince others to back off. Again, just my opinion as a current keyboard warrior.

That often seems to be the case. However many of those new technologies are sometimes developed rapidly during the conflict as in WWII.

I'd like to believe we have a good defense, but I've not seen anything that proves we do.....not against either EMP or nuclear. I stumbled across that documentary while wandering the net trying to see what defenses we actually have for that type of warfare. I didn't find the reassurance I was hoping for. :shakeno: I certainly hope we have something grand hidden away in the closet.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 am

There seems to be a lot of missinformation about THAAD.

First, reliability is near 100%.

Second, the "T" in THAAD stands for "Terminal"
That means THAAD has to be launched from near the target
of the incoming missile and destroy it as it approaches.

Third, THAAD is used to intercept short and medium range
ballistic missiles. No one currently has a proven interceptor
for ICBM's. This is basically a new and improved Patriot.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/30/us-conducts-successful-thaad-missile-test-after-latest-north-korea-missile-launch.html
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 am

:? What the heck does this mean??

North Korea warns of more 'gift packages' for US
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/34916 ... ong-as-its

09/05/17

North Korea is warning the U.S. of "more gift packages" in the wake of Pyongyang's latest hydrogen bomb test.

“The recent self-defense measures by my country, DPRK, are a gift package addressed to none other than the U.S.,” Han Tae Song, the ambassador of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), said on Tuesday to the United Nations in Geneva, Reuters reported.

“The U.S. will receive more gift packages from my country as long as its relies on reckless provocations and futile attempts to put pressure on the DPRK,” he said.

The comments come after North Korea said this past weekend it had successfully tested a miniaturized hydrogen bomb that can be placed in an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

President Trump tweeted Sunday that North Korea's words and actions "continue to be very hostile and dangerous" to the U.S.

He also warned that the U.S. is considering stopping all trade with countries doing business with North Korea.

On Monday, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un, is "begging for war" with his "abusive use of missiles."

"Enough is enough," Haley said.

“The time for half measures in the security council is over. The time has come to exhaust all of our diplomatic means before it is too late. We must now adopt the strongest possible measures. Kim Jong Un’s action cannot be seen as defensive,” she said.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 am

North Korea tells soldiers 'total war' with US is imminent
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36917291/no ... gainst-us/

September 1st, 2017

North Korea may not have gone through with their threat to attack Guam but it is reportedly still preparing its soldiers for war.

The secretive state backed down on launching missiles on the US territory in the Pacific earlier last month but an attack is apparently still on its mind.

According to Daily NK, authorities in North Korea has been emphasising a “combat readiness” posture for “total war” with the United States.

However, starved soldiers are said to be more concerned about eating, and have resorted to stealing food.

A source told the publication: “The military officers are instructing their soldiers, exhausted after training, to eat corn in the fields because war is imminent.

How glamorous North Korean defector-turned reality TV star detained ‘for dying hair’ escaped regime
    'A real threat to our peace': Why Turnbull's alarmed by North Korea's missile test over Japan
    Trump warns 'all options' on table after North Korea missile launch
    North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan

“They are even threatening their soldiers, saying, ‘If you become malnourished despite permission to eat the corn, you will face difficulties.’”

Tensions between North Korea, led by Kim Jong-un, and the west remain heightened.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May said that the country’s missile program presents an “unprecedented threat to international security”.

Mrs May’s is in Tokyo days after Pyongyang launched a missile which flew over the Japanese island of Hokkaido.

The Prime Minister vowed to speed up the implementation of sanctions against the regime as a result.

At a press conference alongside Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe, the Prime Minister said the UK condemned the latest missile launch in the “strongest terms possible”.

Mr Abe said the launch of the missile which flew over Japan was “outrageous”, adding: “This is an unprecedented serious and grave threat.

“We absolutely do not tolerate the nuclear and missile development by North Korea.”

In London, the Foreign Office summoned North Korea’s ambassador Choe Il for a meeting with Asia Minister Mark Field to underscore the UK’s position on the missile programme.

It is understood the United Nations is discussing increasing sanctions against North Korea, including stopping it selling oil products to China.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 am

North Korea’s ‘pink lady’: the newscaster set to announce the end of the world
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/short ... -the-world

Monday 4 September 2017

The apocalypse will be televised, and it will be presented by a pink-clad North Korean woman announcing the news at a near scream.

Ri Chun-hee is the most prominent face on the North’s Korean Central Television, appearing nearly every time the country takes a step towards fulfilling its nuclear ambitions, delivering the state’s proclamations in a booming voice and brimming with gusto.

“The test of a hydrogen bomb designed to be mounted on our intercontinental ballistic missile was a perfect success,” Ri said this weekend, as she quaked with excitement in reporting North Korea’s most powerful nuclear detonation yet. “It was a very meaningful step in completing the national nuclear weapons program.”

The 74-year-old is known as “the people’s broadcaster” and is partial to bright pink outfits. She typically sports a hanbok, traditional Korean attire, although she has been seen in western-style suits, complete with shoulder pads and, of course, in her trademark colour. Her thunderous voice speaks for the regime in a country where leader Kim Jong-un rarely addresses his people directly. But who is the “pink lady” of North Korea?

Ri was born in 1943 into a poor family in Tongchong in what is now southeastern North Korea and studied performance art at Pyongyang University of Theatre. She joined KCTV in 1971 and was promoted to chief news presenter just three years later. Over several decades, she has dodged demotions and survived political purges – common pitfalls for any job in North Korea – that ended the careers of many of her colleagues.

Her melodramatic delivery has reportedly won Ri the admiration of current leader Kim Jong-un, essential for surviving under what experts describe as the most brutal regime to date. She rarely departs from her bellicose style, though she wept on air when announcing the death of North Korea’s first leader Kim Il-sung, and the subsequent passing of his son and successor, Kim Jong-il.

Although she officially retired in 2012, Ri has made occasional comebacks for important military announcements and now spends most of her time training the next generation of presenters.

Before her retirement, she was a regular fixture on the nightly news, beamed into homes across the country announcing the daily happenings of the country’s leader: visits to steel mills, tours of cabbage fields and inspections of military bases.

In a rare profile in 2009, the state-run Chosun Monthly magazine reported that she lives a life of luxury in Pyongyang with her husband, children and grandchildren.

“[Her] voice grew to have an appeal, so that whenever she would speak on the news, viewers were touched,” the magazine said. “When Ri announced reports and statements, enemies would tremble in fear.”
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is latest threat from North Korea (video)
http://dennismichaellynch.com/electroma ... rea-video/

September 4, 2017

Sunday morning’s news that North Korea had launched what appeared to be its sixth and most powerful nuclear test was indeed unsettling. But now, the rogue dictatorship has ratcheted up its terrorism another level by threatening our country with shutting down the U.S. electricity grid through an electromagnetic pulse, otherwise known as an EMP attack.

DML NEWS has been warning our readers about this danger since April, after former CIA director R. James Woolsey published an op-ed on March 29, warning that North Korea has the capacity to “kill 90 percent of all Americans” with an EMP attack.

CEO of DML NEWS, Dennis Michael Lynch, sent a letter to the president on Sunday evening asking him to please consider moving swiftly again North Korea. He stated, “You must take a preemptive strike now and eliminate the ability for North Korea to kill millions of Americans.”

Through miniaturization, North Korea has developed intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) which could conceivably deliver nuclear warheads via long-range missiles to be detonated a few hundred miles above the continental U.S., causing a high-altitude electromagnetic-pulse (EMP) attack.

North Korea’s state news agency made a rare reference to the tactic in a Sunday morning release in which the country said it was able to load a hydrogen bomb onto a long-range missile. The bomb, North Korea said, “is a multifunctional thermonuclear nuke with great destructive power which can be detonated even at high altitudes for super-powerful EMP attack.”

An EMP attack would conceivably knock out power in much of the U.S. Unlike the U.S. atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, such a weapon wouldn’t directly destroy buildings or kill people. Instead, electromagnetic waves from the nuclear explosion would generate pulses to overwhelm the electrical grid and electronic devices in the same way a lightning surge can destroy equipment.

In a worst-case scenario, the outages could last for months, indirectly costing many lives, since hospitals would be without power, emergency services couldn’t function normally, and food and water shortages would ensue.

Lawmakers have been warned of this threat for many years, including in a 2008 report commissioned by Congress that warned an EMP attack could bring “widespread and long lasting disruption and damage to the critical infrastructures that underpin the fabric of U.S. society.”

This news resurfaced in early May, when Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, the executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security as well as the chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission, said North Korean satellites are currently orbiting the U.S. in patterns that suggest they are planning an EMP attack.

When the U.S. tested a hydrogen bomb in the Pacific in 1962, it resulted in lights burning out in Honolulu, nearly 1,000 miles from the test site. Naturally occurring electromagnetic events on the sun can also disrupt power systems. A 1989 blackout in Quebec came days after powerful explosions on the sun expelled a cloud of charged particles that struck earth’s magnetic field, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Skeptics say the danger of an EMP attack is exaggerated; it’s not easy for an enemy such as North Korea to calibrate the attack in such a way that it would be guaranteed to deliver maximum damage to the U.S. electrical grid. If a North Korean bomb did not exactly hit is target location, it might knock out only a few devices or just a few parts of the grid.

The 1962 U.S. nuclear test, which involved a bomb with a force of 1.4 megatons, didn’t disrupt telephone or radio service in Hawaii, although some experts warn that today’s electronic devices are much more vulnerable. North Korea said its hydrogen bomb had the explosive power of tens of kilotons to hundreds of kilotons.

Some say that a traditional nuclear attack directed at a large city is a more likely scenario.

A rogue state would prefer a “spectacular and direct ground burst in preference to an unreliable and uncertain EMP strike. A weapon of mass destruction is preferable to a weapon of mass disruption,” wrote physicist Yousaf M. Butt in a 2010 analysis.

With the specific threat of an EMP attack, action is certainly warranted at this time.

Those who are knowledgeable about the threat said that there are technological ways for our country to defend itself, such as designing electrical-grid components to withstand sudden pulses, just as the grid is already protected against lightning strikes and building backup systems that could step in for the principal electrical grids in an emergency.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:46 pm

TRex2 wrote:There seems to be a lot of missinformation about THAAD.

First, reliability is near 100%.

Second, the "T" in THAAD stands for "Terminal"
That means THAAD has to be launched from near the target
of the incoming missile and destroy it as it approaches.

Third, THAAD is used to intercept short and medium range
ballistic missiles. No one currently has a proven interceptor
for ICBM's. This is basically a new and improved Patriot.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/30/us-conducts-successful-thaad-missile-test-after-latest-north-korea-missile-launch.html

Point is THAAD had to be in the right spot.

I don't know. I know there were experts on the documentary & I'm certainly not an expert on the topic. So I can't judge them to be right or wrong. Although they had documentation on the failed testing & plenty of video to back up their claims. But I do recall something about it's biggest flaw being it needs to be in the right place at the right time.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:31 pm

North Korea crisis: Why the world fears Kim Jong-un will "put on big show" this Saturday one week after nuclear test
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... s-11115673

Days after Kim Jong-un boasted the secretive state has developed a nuclear bomb, attention has quickly shifted to North Korea's independence celebrations

14:55, 5 SEP 2017 updated17:14, 5 SEP 2017

Tensions between the US and North Korea are at an all time high after the secretive country tested a nuclear bomb last weekend.

America has accused dictator Kim Jong-un of "begging for war" while North Korea today hit back saying its nuclear tests are "gift packages" to the US with more to follow.

And its unlikely the situation is likely to improve in the coming days.

Many experts are increasingly worried the country could launch another missile or conduct another weapons test this Saturday.

Here, Mirror Online details why there are fears North Korea could "put on a big show" this weekend.

What is happening on Saturday?

North Korea celebrates its National Day - the anniversary of when it was formed as a republic and the start of the Kim regime.

Officially known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the country was formed on September 9 in 1948.

Also referred to as Independence Day, the occasion is marked by speeches, military parades and performances with the centrepiece of activities held in the capital Pyongyang.

According to reports, offices are closed, picnics are held in parks while a fireworks display is usually held in the evenings.

Why is it so important to North Korea?

Independence Day, or National Day, is one of the most celebrated and anticipated days in the North Korean calendar.

The day marks the founding of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and its liberation from Soviet forces in 1948.

Under Japanese rule until 1945, North Korea was divided into two countries at the end of World War Two.

But three years later, the country broke free from Soviet rule with Kim Il-sung, the grandfather of Kim Jong-un, declared the country's Supreme Leader.

What have they done on the same date before?

The country traditionally uses important dates in its calendar to flex its military muscles in an apparent show of strength to the world.

All eyes will turn to North Korea again this Saturday amid fears the country could "put on a big show" with its latest weapons test to mark its National Day.

On the same date last year, North Korea claimed to have successfully carried out its fifth nuclear test.

The US warned of "serious consequences" as a 5.3 magnitude tremor was detected near the nuclear test site in what was believed to be the country's biggest ever experiment.

Then South Korean President, Park Guen-hye, described the test as an act of "self-destruction" and said it showed the "maniacal recklessness" of Kim Jong-un.

What are people fearing could happen this time?

Experts have voiced fears Saturday will be when North Korea launches its latest intercontinental ballistic missile.

The unsettling prediction was made by Harry Kazianis, director at the Center for the National Interest based in Washington.

Mr Kazianis, director at the US-based Center for the National Interest, told CNBC : "I think another ICBM [intercontinental ballistic missile] test could come on September 9.

"The North Koreans love to put on a big show for their big national holiday."

Mr Kazianis suggested Pyongyang will want to grab the headlines on its Independence Day with another provocation which will put the world on alert.

He said: "They're going to want to get the most attention they can."

Any fresh launch would come days after pictures emerged of Kim Jong-un inspecting an apparent nuclear weapon as it was loaded onto a ballistic missile.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters