• Advertisement

Prep Concerns for Korean 'Conflict'

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Prep Concerns for Korean 'Conflict'

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am

IWe have a rather solid solar system to keep the freezer running and salt to cure if required. May I suggest that you conceder putting up trade items such as cheap lighters instead of high priced canned meats? But keep in mind that trading means dealing with strangers also has risks.[/quote]

violates just about every premise of good prepping - if that was actually a viable working solution to staying alive during a serious SHTF we wouldn't need to prep anything but barter garbage ....[/quote]

Disagree. Yes, we should all keep a "little extra" around and develop skills which may be helpful but no matter how carefully you prepare there will be something you need and don't have. It may be a few pieces of tin to repair your roof from a wind storm ect. Having a durable and super needed items like lighters or salt for trade will be very useful.[/quote]

how the hell does that compare to what you ACTUALLY said? - you're giving out advice to her not to prep meat but to be ready to hock cheap lighters instead ... this isn't CNN and you don't get to twist everything out of context ....

you prep adequately to be SOLELY independent - any bartering intent has to be after that and shouldn't be considered reliable .... I know where you got that cheap lighter bartering idea - and the Bosnians wouldn't have had half their problems if they would have bothered to observe their internal politics and prepped accordingly ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Part of my "prep" for barter is raising to eat not just enough for our own needs, but to be able to sell/barter our excess.

For example, I sell/trade the extra eggs when the chickens are at full production. (I also hatch eggs to replenish my flock; and extra roosters and older, no longer producing hens get turned into chicken dinners and chicken stock/broth.) I'll also be getting 15 turkey poults this spring--some to be turkey dinners, and some to breed to keep the flocks going.

Goats, for producing milk (milk, cheese, ice cream) with doelings (baby goat girls) kept to increase the herd, and bucklings (baby goat boys) destined for goat burger,roasts, etc.) Eventually, we'll add cattle and pigs to the mix.

That's in addition to the garden, plus eventually orchard, vineyard, olive trees, grain and hay fields, etc.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:IWe have a rather solid solar system to keep the freezer running and salt to cure if required. May I suggest that you conceder putting up trade items such as cheap lighters instead of high priced canned meats? But keep in mind that trading means dealing with strangers also has risks.

violates just about every premise of good prepping - if that was actually a viable working solution to staying alive during a serious SHTF we wouldn't need to prep anything but barter garbage ....[/quote]

Disagree. Yes, we should all keep a "little extra" around and develop skills which may be helpful but no matter how carefully you prepare there will be something you need and don't have. It may be a few pieces of tin to repair your roof from a wind storm ect. Having a durable and super needed items like lighters or salt for trade will be very useful.[/quote]

how the hell does that compare to what you ACTUALLY said? - you're giving out advice to her not to prep meat but to be ready to hock cheap lighters instead ... this isn't CNN and you don't get to twist everything out of context ....

you prep adequately to be SOLELY independent - any bartering intent has to be after that and shouldn't be considered reliable .... I know where you got that cheap lighter bartering idea - and the Bosnians wouldn't have had half their problems if they would have bothered to observe their internal politics and prepped accordingly ....[/quote]

Wow, strong response. Please re-read my earlier post. In it I recommend developing supplies and skills but there will be needed items. Even Jeremiah Johnson required a bit of trade and help occasionally.

I prefer to be realistic when prepping, I figure my family will live longer and be happier if instead of my trying to be the "Rambo of the Wilderness" I try to be realistic about my preps, knowledge, and abilities.

Illini Warrior, You have a lot of great posts on this forum but on this topic we're just going to agree that we disagree.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby TRex2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:27 am

John Galt 1 wrote:...

Wow, strong response. Please re-read my earlier post. In it I recommend developing supplies and skills but there will be needed items. Even Jeremiah Johnson required a bit of trade and help occasionally.

I prefer to be realistic when prepping, I figure my family will live longer and be happier if instead of my trying to be the "Rambo of the Wilderness" I try to be realistic about my preps, knowledge, and abilities.

Illini Warrior, You have a lot of great posts on this forum but on this topic we're just going to agree that we disagree.

Yep. A good, proper and useful response. Several of the participants of this forum have strong opinions on how to "get prepped" and while most of them are on the right track, none of them are perfect. Kinda like the old adages that "no plan survives contact with the enemy" and plans are useless but planning is indispensable.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby danthman114 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 am

I don't think they will hit the mainland but IF they could reach it you wont have time to make it to your bol. if your in the city, well, sorry, youre done and pray its going to another...
danthman114

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am

John Galt 1 - very simple - you post something - back it up - don't try meandering down some BS path trying to worm yourself out ....

you explicitly posted to that woman to forget about prepping meat and prep barter material - specifically cheap lighters - I called you on it ....

if you didn't like it - tough - it's not bad advice - it's terrible advice - prepping is unfortunately much more important than it should be - get it wrong and people die ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 am

Illini Warrior wrote:John Galt 1 - very simple - you post something - back it up - don't try meandering down some BS path trying to worm yourself out ....

you explicitly posted to that woman to forget about prepping meat and prep barter material - specifically cheap lighters - I called you on it ....

if you didn't like it - tough - it's not bad advice - it's terrible advice - prepping is unfortunately much more important than it should be - get it wrong and people die ....

Once again I'm not following your reasoning. As was clearly stated in the 1st and 2nd post I don't discourage prepping and other posts of mine on this forum and the forum you used to be on clearly indicate that my family puts a little extra away . I also believe that it's smart to conceder trade items.

So, once again I'd advise you to reread previous posts.
John Galt 1

Postby TRex2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm

danthman114 wrote:I don't think they will hit the mainland but IF they could reach it you wont have time to make it to your bol. if your in the city, well, sorry, youre done and pray its going to another...

I haven't really looked at his ability to accurately predict where his missiles will go. I doubt he is accurate enough to guess which state his missiles will land in, and wonder if he is accurate enough to bet that he will hit the U.S.

Iran's missiles are N.K. design and probably manufactured there too, but, unfortunately I don't think they have tested any ICBM's so we don't know how accurate they are.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby rickdun » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 pm

TRex, they tested their first one last year:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/30 ... s-say.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 pm

TRex2 wrote:
danthman114 wrote:I don't think they will hit the mainland but IF they could reach it you wont have time to make it to your bol. if your in the city, well, sorry, youre done and pray its going to another...

I haven't really looked at his ability to accurately predict where his missiles will go. I doubt he is accurate enough to guess which state his missiles will land in, and wonder if he is accurate enough to bet that he will hit the U.S. .

But if he goes for a few EMP nukes he only needs to target the US in general. Another advantage of using a EMP burst is NK doesn't need to worry about the bomb surviving reentry.

From what I understand most if not all of our military equipment will survive an EMP so if NK wants to take out our military in Guam and Hawaii NK will need accuracy to do that.
John Galt 1

Postby TRex2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 pm

rickdun wrote:TRex, they tested their first one last year:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/30 ... s-say.html

Wrong kind of ballistic missile. Iran has only the shorter range ballistic missiles. As range increases, difficulty in aiming them accurately increases geometrically.

John Galt 1 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:

I haven't really looked at his ability to accurately predict where his missiles will go. I doubt he is accurate enough to guess which state his missiles will land in, and wonder if he is accurate enough to bet that he will hit the U.S. .

But if he goes for a few EMP nukes he only needs to target the US in general. Another advantage of using a EMP burst is NK doesn't need to worry about the bomb surviving reentry.

From what I understand most if not all of our military equipment will survive an EMP so if NK wants to take out our military in Guam and Hawaii NK will need accuracy to do that.

Yes, you are right. I have pointed this out before, but there are some who refuse to believe it.
TRex2

Postby ThePrepared » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Whatever the outcome may be, Kim's moves the last few weeks around the Olympics have been very, very savvy. Likely instigated by Beijing. Will be interesting to watch it unfold, especially if Moon takes the invite to go to Pyongyang.

I went inside North Korea recently. Has anyone else in these forums? Curious about other preppers who've visited.
ThePrepared

Postby TRex2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:05 pm

ThePrepared wrote:Whatever the outcome may be, Kim's moves the last few weeks around the Olympics have been very, very savvy. Likely instigated by Beijing. Will be interesting to watch it unfold, especially if Moon takes the invite to go to Pyongyang.

I went inside North Korea recently. Has anyone else in these forums? Curious about other preppers who've visited.
why on earth would you do that?
TRex2

Postby ajax727 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 am

The propaganda by NK is up and doing well heck even some of our news people are helping them by saying how great they are . Funny how quick people forget he LFM like to kill his kin and seem to enjoy it . As for going to NK for a look see nope , as for prepping still doing what we need to do . I though there was a travel ban to NK ?
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 am

ajax727 wrote:The propaganda by NK is up and doing well heck even some of our news people are helping them by saying how great they are . Funny how quick people forget he LFM like to kill his kin and seem to enjoy it . As for going to NK for a look see nope , as for prepping still doing what we need to do . I though there was a travel ban to NK ?

don't think it was a US ban - just an advisory - some celeb (network talking head ??) was in NK not long ago .... Dennis Rodman was talking about going back ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General Family Preparedness