• Advertisement

Hackers inside the electrical grid

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Hackers inside the electrical grid

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 am

Found an article on how hackers have already penetrated both US power grids and European power grids. Basically, they could shut the grids down anytime they feel like it....basic research from Symantec. Article over on ArsTechnica:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -networks/

Hackers lie in wait after penetrating US and Europe power grid networks
Intrusion into power companies' operational networks is a dramatic escalation.

Nation-sponsored hackers have penetrated the operational networks multiple US and European energy companies use to control key parts of the power grid that supplies electricity to hundreds of millions of people, researchers warned Wednesday.

The incursions detected by security firm Symantec represent a dramatic escalation by a hacking group dubbed Dragonfly, which has been waging attacks against US and European energy companies since at least 2011. In 2014, Symantec reported that Dragonfly was aggressively establishing beachheads in a limited number of target networks, mainly by stealing the user names and passwords used to restrict access to legitimate personnel. Over the past year, the hacking group has managed to compromise dozens of energy firms and in a handful of cases, install backdoors in the highly sensitive networks the firms use to supply power to the grid.
<snip>
dmwalsh568

Re: Hackers inside the electrical grid

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:33 am

Well doesn't that just brighten the day :(
Stahlrosen

Postby apache235 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Swell. Between that, the little fat boy, the sun getting uppity and hurricanes, it could be a bumpy ride for a bit.
apache235

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Wish it would hurry up. My preps are getting old as I am. At the rate things are coming to an end I'll die of old age before it's happened.

I so want to be around to tell the unbelievers--" I TOLD YOU SO!
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am

oldasrocks wrote:Wish it would hurry up. My preps are getting old as I am. At the rate things are coming to an end I'll die of old age before it's happened.

I so want to be around to tell the unbelievers--" I TOLD YOU SO!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters