• Advertisement

I'm BAAACK!

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

I'm BAAACK!

Postby catfeet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Guys, I'm back for the first time in over a year. So, why so long? Well, I had hip surgery (SI joint fusion) and it's taken me a while to get back to full strength and back into my life. I gave up all my forums, even FB. :shock: I get the other side done this fall/winter. What's new in catfeet land you ask? Well,...
-Got chickens, dog ate chickens, built enclosure, got more chickens and turned the dog into animal control.
-The garden this year isn't doing as well as I'd like, though the root veg are surprisingly happy.
-My peach tree fruited! It's got so much fruit that I may have to sell some. (Peaches, in northern VT, who'd a thunk it?) It's going to take me a serious week of canning to get thru all of them.
-I've joined a gym and am going 3-5 times a week.
-I got my water storage squared away and it's now on racks.
-One more room in my house has been remodeled (by yours truly) and the breeze that was always running thru the house is now gone.
-Oldest son wants to join the navy, as, in his words "It's a sound financial step mom" He's 15, lol. They also are the only folks who have the training he wants - he'd like to go into computer cryptology. He's taken active steps to do this, the first of which was to join the cross country team at school. It makes me proud to see him taking on this responsibility.
-There will be very few tomatoes this year. :'( It's been too wet and cold for them. It makes me sad because we're OUT of salsa and nearly out of crushed tomatoes...I'll have to buy some. GACK!

There's a lot more, but these are my highlights, lol.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Re: I'm BAAACK!

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 am

Glad your back sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Welcome back Catfeet.

Hip surgery is no small thing. Happy to hear you're doing well and glad you came back to the forum.
:clap:
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Welcome back. :wave:
Glad you are healing and doing better!
Stahlrosen

Postby Cin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Welcome back!

Tell your son to check out computer classes on line - MIT and Khan University are just two that have their classes in IT and computer tech online. You can take the classes for free, but if he chooses to get a grade or certification, you'll have to pay. Just going through the curriculum for free is worth learning.
Cin

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Welcome back Cat. You sure were busy while away.

My son joined the Navy and he was put into a computer field. Hes doing very well with it and the training will pay off greatly for him in the future no matter what course he decides to take with what hes learning. Your son will have many opportunities if hes able to get into that training. Tell him to study the free asvab testing online so he scores good on it because if he does then he can get just about any job he wants. Good luck to him.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TimWhite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Welcome, I hope all goes well with your next surgery. :thumbsup:
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Son went to army was in 10 years, got money for college, completed his degree. Then
went to work for DOD, has a very good job now, terrific benefits, and if he can stay an
excellent pension. If you choose wisely and not go in for just cannon fodder you can
get a great education.

He took satellite/microwave repair, communications type and had to sign up for 5
years plus pass the testing to get in it. He has never been sorry is now a GS 13.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby arkieready » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Welcome back in the fold.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Welcome back, Catfeet! If your son is planning on going into the Navy, make sure that he takes swimming lessons if he doesn't already know how to swim along with his cross country running. After all, Navy means being on a BOAT on the WATER. Swimming is essential! Being on the swim team would be good practice, and he could build up his endurance.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby catfeet » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks everyone!

DS does know hoe to swim; we've a pool, but he'll be taking the Red Cross lessons next summer because well, Navy! Unfortunately, we don't have a swim team, though high school does offer lessons, which he's taking right now. It's pretty chilly though, being in the high sixties most days.

He's also taking a number of computer courses in high school, we are a green ribbon tech high school. This semester he's taking computers and networking, where, in his words, "we get to destroy them and build them back up!" He's pretty happy about that course.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby kenjabroni » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 pm

My son knows how to swim but he didnt do a lot of it. I would say he is a novice swimmer and he did fine in basic training. There are some career fields that do require more swimming and water time, but computers werent one of them LOL
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to General Family Preparedness