• Advertisement

gas storage question

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

gas storage question

Postby sandlapper3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 am

We need to store some gas to use in a generator in case we loose power in eastern SC due to Irma. Would it be okay to store the gas in an outside vinyl building in which I have stored sugar . The sugar is in mylar bags in plastic totes?
Thanks
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network

Re: gas storage question

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm

sandlapper3 wrote:We need to store some gas to use in a generator in case we loose power in eastern SC due to Irma. Would it be okay to store the gas in an outside vinyl building in which I have stored sugar . The sugar is in mylar bags in plastic totes?
Thanks

NO - you should have them sealed in buckets - they most certainly will be picking up a gas taint in only a tote ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sandlapper3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Illini : Even through the mylar??? Oh heck!!! :(

Thanks
sandlapper3

Postby TRex2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Illini Warrior is half right.

I don't know you, so this may be low balling your skill level.

If your mylar bags are properly sealed (with a thermal seal and completely air tight, not just taped) , and the gas is in an air tight container (approved gas storage cans, that don't "hiss" when near full, and physically squeezed), then you would be OK. But if anything goes wrong, then yes, it will taint your food stores.

If your packaging and gas cans meet the above, and if you have no other place to keep the gas, keep the gas and food separated, and insure the building is ventilated.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Matte » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Another concern is storing a flammable liquid (gasoline) and a high energy fuel (sugar) in the same enclosed space. While it's not going to spontaneously combust if the two come into contact, if there was a fire you might have the very first orbiting vinyl satellite :)

https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/ ... losive.pdf
Matte

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 pm

There are a bunch of "what ifs", but it is never a good idea to store food items in an area with any kind of chemicals. Mylar and plastic totes will not stop rodents! For short term, you could store the gas cans outside in a shady area and cover them with a tarp. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby sandlapper3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks, everybody. Gas has been stored in a separate building. :thumbup:
sandlapper3

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:53 pm

TRex2 wrote:Illini Warrior is half right.

I don't know you, so this may be low balling your skill level.

If your mylar bags are properly sealed (with a thermal seal and completely air tight, not just taped) , and the gas is in an air tight container (approved gas storage cans, that don't "hiss" when near full, and physically squeezed), then you would be OK. But if anything goes wrong, then yes, it will taint your food stores.

If your packaging and gas cans meet the above, and if you have no other place to keep the gas, keep the gas and food separated, and insure the building is ventilated.

you do not store food in with any petrochems - that includes not only gas but diesel/fuel oil and absolutely no herbicides/pesticides - it doesn't matter how well you think that the off gassing is contained - those mylar packages will pick up the outside environment air .... good thing is that taste will be bad enough that you wont eat that much to kill you ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 pm

daaswampman wrote:There are a bunch of "what ifs", but it is never a good idea to store food items in an area with any kind of chemicals. Mylar and plastic totes will not stop rodents! For short term, you could store the gas cans outside in a shady area and cover them with a tarp. Swamp

you don't store sugar in mylar - no need to - no 02 absorber either - just strait into a food grade bucket .... there's too much shifting weight to trust a mylar bag's heat sealed seams without the support benefit of a tite fitting container - like a bucket .... a filled bucket weighs in at 40+ lbs ....

if you want to divide up salt or sugar - a pound fits nicely in a zip lock sandwich bag - flexible enough that they pack tite in a bucket - fill up the voids with a loose pour and some good shakes before lid sealing - both are good to go for a lifetime ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby TRex2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:18 am

sandlapper3 wrote:Thanks, everybody. Gas has been stored in a separate building. :thumbup:

Good. As Illini Warrior has pointed out, that is best.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:10 am

Matte wrote:Another concern is storing a flammable liquid (gasoline) and a high energy fuel (sugar) in the same enclosed space. While it's not going to spontaneously combust if the two come into contact, if there was a fire you might have the very first orbiting vinyl satellite :)

https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/ ... losive.pdf

:rofl: :rofl: :thumbup:

Too funny....

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:43 pm

i always keep my gas cans in the garage.no matter if their full of gas or not..in which the garage is attached to the house...
jimLE

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

jimLE wrote:i always keep my gas cans in the garage.no matter if their full of gas or not..in which the garage is attached to the house...

I grew up doing it that way, but it isn't the safest thing to do, and gasoline isn't what it used to be. Today's gasoline is much more likely to cause an accident than the stuff we had in the 60's and 70's. Of course, gas cans are different too. Mine, back then, were not air tight.
TRex2

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm

my gas cans are air tight..plus the garage has good ventilation..and i keep them where.im sure nothing will go wrong with them..
jimLE

Return to General Preparedness Discussion