• Advertisement

The under $5 emergency supply list for food, water & meds

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

The under $5 emergency supply list for food, water & meds

Postby PreppingGuide » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 am

Hello everyone, I am a prepping blogger and am pretty new here. So first of all, hello to everyone and cheers letting me join an awesome community and forum.

I have been prepping for several years now (less than some of you, I know) and one thing that I could never really find when I first started was a budget supply list. Just something cheap and simple where it wasn't full of over-the-top goods and expensive unnecessary items.

Recently I have found there are a lot of people who have been looking at prepping but are afraid to commit the money to building their own emergency supply. Even just a week's worth of goods was too much for some of them. So I, as most preppers do, made a list. This list has everything under $5 (some of them are multiples of items such as 3x bags of rice for $5 - you get the idea).

Now I am not saying this is the best list out there and it's certainly not the only one. And this isn't advice on exactly what you should do, that is far from it. But if you are just starting out and don't want to fork out a heap of money on prepping, perhaps this might just help.

I broke the list down into some essential goods:

Food
    Water
    Sanitary goods (toilet paper is pretty important)
    Emergency items that fall into the flashlight and radio category
    First-aid

Keep in mind that I made this example for a week, but it's pretty easy to adjust.

The Foods

For foods, we need to look for cheap long-lasting items that are also mixable with other foods and delicious on their own.
Here are some options that I could find for less than $5. For the online shoppers out there I have used some links to Walmart (on my blog) they do free shipping on any order over $35 so if you're saving up to buy them at once that might be an option for you.
    1 x 4 can pack of sweet whole kernel corn
    5 x cans of sliced carrots
    5 x cans of peas and carrots
    4 x cans of fresh cut beans
    4 x cans of green peas
    4 x cans of sliced potato
    4 x can pinto beans
    4 x pack of hunt tomato sauce cans
    4 x cans of cheese ravioli in tomato sauce (ready to eat)
    4 x tins of mac and cheese (ready to eat)
    4 x chicken alfredo pasta
    4 x cans of lasagna
    4 x cans of Italian pasta beef ravioli
    4 x cans of mandarin oranges
    5 x packets of Idahoan instant mashed potato
    5 x packets of Idahoan baby reds mash potato
    2 x jars of peanut butter
    2 x bags of rice (5pounds)
    4 x pack of chicken/beef instant ramen noodles
    4 x pack of instant pudding
    4 x (454g) packs of penne pasta
    4 x cans of Italian spaghetti sauce
    3 x tins of sardines
    1 x packet of Quaker 18oz oats
    1 x packet 20oz of raisins
    four pounds of sugar
    five pounds of flour
    1 x 16oz can of ham
    4 x tins of country style baked beans
    4 x tins of spaghetti meatballs
    3 x packets of corn bread mix
    2 x cans of chicken pot pie soup
    1 x can of roast beef in gravy
    1 x tin of chicken breast (700g)
    4 x tins of gravy

Total cost: less than $175

Water

If you are not into purifying water that's pretty understandable. For the purpose of our prepping on a budget plan, you can just go and buy bottled water at your supermarket. It is cheap and doesn't expire. Buying bottled water is easy, but when you make a reserve of it you're going to need a lot. I estimated my use at two gallons of water per person per day, this includes drinking water and takes into consideration the sanitary use we have for water as well. Yours might be different.
    35 x value pack of bottled water ($3.33) - from Walmart
    2 x 1-gallon bottles
    1 x 2.5-gallon water- these ones sell out whenever they're available

While it is a bit over our $5 limit. You might save a bit more and use less waste by getting a 7-gallon rigid water container (about $15 on Amazon). This will allow you to be more efficient with your space and as mentioned you're going to have less plastic waste.

Total cost if you also get the 7-gallon container? $30

I left out the other drinkables from the food list as they are all water based. For milk, you can get something like the Nestle dry powdered milk which is under $5 and can make about 2 gallons of milk.

Sanitary Items

Toilet paper. Having worked in the field with limited supplies I can truly vouch that there is nothing worse than wiping with a single square of paper.
    Baby wipes (basically soft wet wipes) - you can get a three pack of these for about $4-$5
    Box of tissues
    2x Germ-X hand sanitizer bottles
    Tampons (if you need them)
    2x gallons of bleach
    Depending on your waste management you may want to look into disposable plates and bowls, otherwise, you should add some sort of washing liquid to this list as well.
    2x antibacterial hand wash
    Spare toothbrush and toothpaste
    Thread and needles in a little sewing kit

Total cost: $45

Emergency items

This meaning of emergency items is things that you would find helpful or useful if you were to be stranded in a natural disaster. It is not cardiac arrest equipment or IV kits.

The first one on a list is definitely an emergency: a can opener. If you are reading this on the prepper forum chances are you already have one in the house or on the back of a multi-tool.
    1x 110yd fishing spool (Berkley Trilene brand)
    1 x pack of assorted hooks and sinkers
    2x BIC lighters
    12 x tea light candles
    25 feet of Paracord Planet paracord
    1 x roll of duct tape. (I found a $3 single one on Walmart online but I have seen them in three packs in hardware stores for $4 as well so be on the look out).
    1 x box of wood nails
    1x Eveready economy flashlight (I'd suggest you pick one of these up in your store soon as they're a 2-pack and good value)
    Rayovac floating lantern ($4)
    4 x 2pack of D batteries
    2x 4pack of AAA batteries
    2600mAh Universal Power Bank
    A few plastic bags (if you get these free when you purchase your items then you're at a bonus)

Total cost: $65

First-aid supplies

I didn't just throw a heap of first-aid kits together in this one. The kits here I chose specifically so that I could take the best bits out of each one of them. Check them out as a lot of their contents would cost more than $5 if purchased separately.
    1 x 24 pack of Tylenol
    1 x 24 pack of Advil ibuprofen
    1 x 24 pack of paracetamol
    1 x 24 pack of Benadryl liquid capsules
    1 x bottle of betadine anti-bacterial solution
    3 x curad mini first aid kit (patches)
    2 x first aid essentials kits (sterile patches)
    2 x American Red Cross First-Aid Kits
    1 x band-aid cloth tape
    1 x Neosporin spray antiseptic and pain relieving
    1 x Camillus 30-piece hunter's first-aid kit
    2 x Mylar thermal blankets

Total cost: $60

How much in total?
If we look at the total cost of everything on this list we have spent under $375. I calculated that figure even though all of these items were bought or valued online and in stores at less than our $5 budget, so there's still some savings on that figure to be made.

If you want any of the links to the food items (and if the mods don't mind my shameless self-promotion) the original post is at http://thepreppingguide.com/prepping-on-a-budget/
PreppingGuide

Re: The under $5 emergency supply list for food, water & med

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 am

your list isn't any better than when you posted elsewhere - let's see what real preppers think of your $5 bag of sugar and $1.25 cans of veggies ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby jimLE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:46 am

pretty good list,and ideas there PreppingGuide..and just like others here,and elsewhere.i buy/prep on a budget.you mentioned 4LB bags of sugar.in which is what i was doing for some time..then i realized one day.that don't work fo me,for two reasons.1st i don't use that much sugar.2nd.the container in which i keep the sugar that's used for what's in use at the time.barely holds just over one pound.so i started buying the 1LB bags.in which that not only works great for me..but i also find it easier to store the 1LB bags then the 4LB bags..i also find it less costly on my shopping trips.but it also leaves me a lil extra money for something else.oh yeah..i have limited storage space.so going with 1LB bags instead of 4LB'S works better for me as well..can openers are definitely great.i have 2 hand held can openers.in which they both have a can opener for the hole type opening.like for pouring evaporating milk.then there's the bottle opener on the other end.and of course the part that removes the entire lid.then there's the 4 p38's.2 of them has the the spoon..

edit..i just did a search with my walmart app.i can get 3 1LB bags of sugar for 4.08..at 1.36 a LB..for me,that comes to 0.1133333333 a year.or less.on account.i use very very little sugar a year.
jimLE

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

If someone has the storage space, and a Sam's or Costco membership, a 50lb bag of rice is under $15...that works out to less than 30 cents per pound! Try getting rice for that price at your local grocery store! You could always break it down into smaller units and vacuum-seal them, as well.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PreppingGuide » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:55 am

Illini Warrior wrote:your list isn't any better than when you posted elsewhere - let's see what real preppers think of your $5 bag of sugar and $1.25 cans of veggies ...

Yes, I also posted this list on Reddit. It received some really great responses from a lot of people which is why I thought it might be suitable for here...

But alas, as I said in the start of the post, it's not a concrete guide or solid list. If you can find cheaper then that helps even more right? It's just something to help some people start, or for others to chop up and add to their own list.

Thanks for the response!
PreppingGuide

Postby PreppingGuide » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 am

jimLE wrote:pretty good list,and ideas there PreppingGuide..and just like others here,and elsewhere.i buy/prep on a budget.you mentioned 4LB bags of sugar.in which is what i was doing for some time..then i realized one day.that don't work fo me,for two reasons.1st i don't use that much sugar.2nd.the container in which i keep the sugar that's used for what's in use at the time.barely holds just over one pound.so i started buying the 1LB bags.in which that not only works great for me..but i also find it easier to store the 1LB bags then the 4LB bags..i also find it less costly on my shopping trips.but it also leaves me a lil extra money for something else.oh yeah..i have limited storage space.so going with 1LB bags instead of 4LB'S works better for me as well..can openers are definitely great.i have 2 hand held can openers.in which they both have a can opener for the hole type opening.like for pouring evaporating milk.then there's the bottle opener on the other end.and of course the part that removes the entire lid.then there's the 4 p38's.2 of them has the the spoon..

edit..i just did a search with my walmart app.i can get 3 1LB bags of sugar for 4.08..at 1.36 a LB..for me,that comes to 0.1133333333 a year.or less.on account.i use very very little sugar a year.

hey good find on the sugar! I might add that is as an alternative. I only added is as a supplementary thing, personally I don't consume that much sugar and if my partner does, it is in volumes of chocolate haha.

And yes, with the can openers I had to shop elsewhere than Walmart to find some good ones for under $5. I have had some friends who bought those $3 red ones and said they didn't even work so I had to improvise and find one in a cheap store. I remember the ones I used to get in ration packs were a little FRED, they were worth their weight in gold but they only came in the rat packs.
PreppingGuide

Postby PreppingGuide » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 am

IceFire wrote:If someone has the storage space, and a Sam's or Costco membership, a 50lb bag of rice is under $15...that works out to less than 30 cents per pound! Try getting rice for that price at your local grocery store! You could always break it down into smaller units and vacuum-seal them, as well.

Wow. What a bargain! Costco is definitely the prepper's store if you are stockpiling for large quantities. Out of interest, what are you storing your rice in?
PreppingGuide

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 pm

PreppingGuide wrote:
IceFire wrote:If someone has the storage space, and a Sam's or Costco membership, a 50lb bag of rice is under $15...that works out to less than 30 cents per pound! Try getting rice for that price at your local grocery store! You could always break it down into smaller units and vacuum-seal them, as well.

Wow. What a bargain! Costco is definitely the prepper's store if you are stockpiling for large quantities. Out of interest, what are you storing your rice in?

Currently, most of my rice is vacuum sealed (in 5 lb increments) and stored either in large Rubbermaid totes, or in food-grade 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids. The other 50 lbs is stored in the "pet food" storage container, as I use it to make dog food, (which is why I'm so familiar with the price! I buy a 50 lb bag every 2-3 months.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 am

Instead of jugs of bleach that will lose potency after sitting for a while I buy bleach tablets. Less than $4 a bottle with 32 tablets in them. One tablet makes 1 gallon of bleach water to use for cleaning and disinfecting.

Watching sales at grocery stores and using coupons will net you more for the money. One store here has their pasta go on sale for .88 a 1lb box. Same for a number of things.

Dollar tree stores are a very good way to find bargains on certain foods and products but not for everything. Most of their hygiene products are cheaper than other stores and work just as well

When I started out many years ago I set a $10 limit every time I went to the grocery store for buying extra to put back for my stockpile. Didn't matter what product it was I still only spent $10 and I had a really nice size pantry put back for emergencies.

Now its just rotating and resupplying
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am

Awesome list!!!!....Great contribution to the prepper movement with the rise of the undereducated of the subject matter...

I mean that sincerely...

There are far too many people out there that live in todays society that have been spoon fed everything from food availability to mind numbing TV programs. they have NO IDEA on how to start and see things as too complicated and never start even the most basic preps out of parallelization and cost involved.

Having a blog you will get ahold of some of the curiosity seekers that will stumble upon your postings even when they're not looking for "Prepping".(it happens)

With a list like this someone might start where normally they'll read a bit, see a more detailed list(And more practical for long term goals) and not start out of indecision.

*** I.E...One of my biggest holdbacks when I first started becoming responsible for myself was the sheer volume of info out there and the cost involved for serious prepping and the storage space it would take up...It held me back for about 5-6 months from buying my first purchase trying to figure out where I should focus first.... months, gone.....

Then we had another earthquake and I went out that day, with no list, and spent about $100 on canned goods and bottled water...I set it in a big tub and put it in my garage overhead storage in a 1 bedroom apartment we were renting......Where it expired and went to waste ultimately...lol....But while it expired my attention was changed. I had accomplished my first prepping goal and I started taking practical steps and growing my better laid plans/preps....That's what matters.

The point is, a simple list may grab the attention of someone who just feels overwhelmed with the idea of prepping and get them off their paralyzed proverbial Assss so to speak......I don't care whether it's a $5 item, a $100, or $1000.....If it breaks the cycle of doing nothing, its a win and that was the best item they ever purchased no matter the cost....

That first $100 that expired into complete uselessness was the best $100 dollars that I've ever spent and it has gone the furthest by making me take the first steps..... Even if you don't consider a list perfect and others poo-poo on it, if you list reaches 1 person and starts them on their journey, THAT A WINNING LIST.

Good on you PreppingGuide....And thanks for the list.

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby jimLE » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:34 pm

ok PreppingGuide,i just noticed something missing from that list.but that's mainly because i just ate some of whats in question here..

knorr rice and pasta sides..they can be bought for $1.00 each..so,that means you can get 5 for $5.00..what i just ate.is knorr's taco rice with some taco meat added to it..
jimLE

Postby Genevieve » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 pm

oh yea you can stretch those sides with meat and veggies to make all kinds of meals. Handy suckers.Same with rice-a-roni ( or store brand much cheaper lol)
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve

Postby PreppingGuide » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

jimLE wrote:ok PreppingGuide,i just noticed something missing from that list.but that's mainly because i just ate some of whats in question here..

knorr rice and pasta sides..they can be bought for $1.00 each..so,that means you can get 5 for $5.00..what i just ate.is knorr's taco rice with some taco meat added to it..

Oh nice, great find. I'm wondering if there's a type of taco wrap that would have a long shelf life. If there was I think my whole reserve would be wraps and the knorr's taco rice mix! :D
PreppingGuide

Postby jimLE » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:39 am

i guess that your refering to wrapping the taco rice mix in a flour tortilla.when it comes to taco wrap,..in which i do have a few of the flour tortillas.on account i'd rather make/create my own..

i canned a few jars of taco meat back on june 30th,of this year..this way i can simply get a jar of it out when i want a taco,or a taco wrap..2 or 3 taco wraps make a nice quick and simply lil meal
jimLE

Return to General Preparedness Discussion