• Advertisement

Older Home Canned Food

General Topics Regarding Canning

Re: Older Home Canned Food

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Again, I say, I never intended for this thread to be about the expiration or pull dates for commercial canned goods. I just thought people could share their experiences with home canned food.

I haven't had much success canning apples, they get mushy. It might be the types of apples I'm using. We polished off that quart of honey vanilla pears, boy were they good. I'm most of all happy with their firmness. I may can some more this year if I can find a good price on pears.

Didn't someone post here a few years ago about canning grapes? I'd really like to know how they turned out or held up over time.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:26 pm

anita wrote:Now, what the pull date really is for home-canned food is a whole other debate, because the USDA just puts a blanket one year expiration on it all, and clearly that isn't anything definitive. I have tomatoes canned two years ago sitting in my basement that I intend to use, as long as they look/smell fine. But I will use them up or toss them before next year's canning season. I also have pickles canned in 2015 and 2016 that I will definitely toss, because they darken and get soft after a year.

This is the info I was shooting for.
Note to self - be sure and use up the pickles within a year for best flavor and texture!

Thanks Anita!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby JayJay » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Again, I say, I never intended for this thread to be about the expiration or pull dates for commercial canned goods. I just thought people could share their experiences with home canned food.

I haven't had much success canning apples, they get mushy. It might be the types of apples I'm using. We polished off that quart of honey vanilla pears, boy were they good. I'm most of all happy with their firmness. I may can some more this year if I can find a good price on pears.

Didn't someone post here a few years ago about canning grapes? I'd really like to know how they turned out or held up over time.

Mrs FP

My water bath canned apples are just as when canned--oldest, a few years old, have off color, but consistency is great.
Taste??? delicious.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Can you tell me what type of apple you're canning? I've used NC mountain apples and I'm thinking they may be too soft. Maybe the firmer apples will can better.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby Cin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 pm

We ate home-canned chili with meat in it from 2009. Now, not saying I would do that all the time, but I found it in the back of the cupboard, we'd been working all day, I forgot to put out something for dinner, and it was there. Tasted good, but probably wasn't the most nutritious meal anymore. Made killer chili cheese hot dogs with it. :)

In general, however, I make sure we eat our canned foods with meat in them within 2 years. I have no idea how this one jar got "lost" back there.
Cin

Postby JayJay » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:08 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Can you tell me what type of apple you're canning? I've used NC mountain apples and I'm thinking they may be too soft. Maybe the firmer apples will can better.

Mrs FP

I don't know...from a friend's daughter's tree.
I know one year I canned in October, and one year in August as dated on the jars.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby IceFire » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:09 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Can you tell me what type of apple you're canning? I've used NC mountain apples and I'm thinking they may be too soft. Maybe the firmer apples will can better.

Mrs FP

DEFINITELY use a firmer type of apple for canning! Some varieties are better for eating fresh; some are better for making able butter, applesauce, and jelly; (the more "mealy" varieties) while others are better for canning. (Granny Smiths come to mind, as they are pretty firm...I'm sure there are other similar varieties.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:42 pm

2 years and 3 years old I generally have no problem with, home canned that is. I open it, smell and taste it, if its
even a little off I don't eat it. But right now I'm eating jam that is 4 years old, its pretty dark but tastes just fine.

Commercially canned 6 months, if its older I'm a bit leery, generally it starts getting discolored and may have a
slightly off taste.

Just have to use some judgment, if we had no other food I'm sure my tolerance for older foods would let me eat the
stuff much older.
PatrioticStabilist

Previous

Return to General Canning Topics