• Advertisement

What to do if the SHTF and I am out.....way out.

Post general California topics here

What to do if the SHTF and I am out.....way out.

Postby Liverchip » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 am

Not really a California topic as it could affect most of us. I work in an office in the Los Angeles area and live about 90 miles away. (Yes I am considered a super-commuter.) I have my get home bag in the trunk and am semi-prepared to make it home come hell or high water.

My job also involves occasional travel to other states, including the East Coast. I have been thinking what to do if the poo poo hits the fan and I am 2000 miles away. I am thinking of a mini get-home bag that can be packed in my luggage. Obviously a firearm is not an option.

Just wondering what others opinions are on this matter. No, changing jobs is not an option.
Liverchip

Re: What to do if the SHTF and I am out.....way out.

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am

If the bad thing happens you will be in a world of hurt whether in L.A. or 2000 miles away in a different state. There will be no escape from L.A. so it doesn't really matter where you are, both scenario's are not to your advantage. If you go to the same location every time you travel you could rent a room or a small storage locker and store some supplies there. Big expense to equip a second location but if you ever need it at least you'll have something to fall back on.
Fullmoon

Postby angie_nrs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 am

I've thought about this before when going on vacation somewhere far away. Usually I only go far away on vacation during the winter months, which would throw another wrench into the mix. I refuse to let fear rule my life so I go where I want to go, prepare as well as I can, and hope for the best. Clearly when you travel on a plane, your options are greatly reduced as far as what you can take with you.

If I ever got stranded somewhere far from home I would do what I could to make my way back home. It may take a very long time, but what else are ya gonna do? Getting home would be my ultimate goal and I would just have to improvise along the way. I could only hope my skills would get me there.
angie_nrs

Postby Rosemead » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 am

I like the storage Idea.

Money maybe your biggest problem, is there a scenario where the banks don't close, ATM's don't stop working? Flying around with rolls of silver dollars is sure to get you strange looks (allthough quarters in a sock can make a weapon), take something that can be sold or traded. Rolex watches come to mind.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 pm

if you haven't done the mental exercises - of building an impromptu long distance BOB from various retail sources - it's something to run thru the system occasionally ... hiking home trans-continental post serious SHTF is almost in that impossible category - it would be years and a series of seasonal sessions ... but there's always the possibility of another 911 type transportation shutdown that could strand passengers partway home - with no foreseeable resumption ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Liverchip » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Indeed getting back home is the primary focus in any situation. Just thinking of a mini prep bag of some kind. I normally pack a medium sized suitcase s well as a second empty bag backed away in the case as secondary as I occasionally return with more crap than I left with. I am a runner, so I always have a good pair of running shoes packed at all times.
Liverchip

Postby North County Guy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:54 pm

I always travel with a small kit.
It fits in red shaving kit.

Mylar Blanket
rain poncho
dust masks
lightsticks
hand cranked radio/flashlight
Whistle
$$$
Handle Ham radio (always put it back on to top off the charge when I get there)
ham repeater book
Small and I mean small first aid kit.
6 Millennial food bars

When I get to my vacation/business location I grab bottles of water

My 2 cents.

G
North County Guy

Postby idahobeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

Do you have family? Do you REALLY have to get back home of the SHTF? If not, consider sheltering in place. Grab whatever food and water you can in your local area, and HIDE. You wouldnt be safe for very long travelling on the highways and roads, especially by yourself. If you do have to get home, at least travel with a group. That dude that blogs about having survived the Yugoslav Civil War back in the 1990s always stressed moving and working in groups; on your own you are dead meat. I read this one SHTF book where the survivors took RVs and booked, travelling in somewhat comfort. They hid out for a few months out in the middle of no where and then came out once all the dying was done. Just a thought....
idahobeef

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am

I'm curios as to why you say a firearm is obviously impossible?

Even without a CA CCW its a snap to get 32 states as non-resident....Take the class(just put a single gun on the ticket as your travel gun), pay about another $100 for the 3 states(AZ,FL,UT) and reciprocity gets you the rest of the states.

You can play with the map here to determine which states work best for you on reciprocity...https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Just sayin'....Of course I don't know what states you travel to back east and you may not have it there, but just making sure you looked into it as its really simple.

And as others have stated here, a small get-home bag is easy but be prepared for extra security delays at the gates...it happens with those items but no big deal.

Better than storage would be Geo-Caches....Take a trip by car one day....plan out a return route from your most often traveled to area and do the drops accordingly along the way back.

I honestly think its overkill, but who knows.....It would be a fun trip at the very least....

Good luck.

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Liverchip » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Interesting thoughts and exactly what I was looking for. Now I need to get my Ham license!
Liverchip

Postby North County Guy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Also look into getting your GMRS lic. No test, just pay the fee.
I know there are a few good coverage area GMRS repeaters around LA.
I am North of the San Fernando Valley and can hit a few from home and surrounding area
North County Guy

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 pm

North County Guy wrote:Also look into getting your GMRS lic. No test, just pay the fee.

Good to know. We have a pair of FMRS/GMRS radios. I had figured to just stick to the FMRS bands (no license needed) but now armed with that info, might just check into it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mizery0317 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm

There's a couple of different things you can do to make the commute more prepper efficient.
1. Place caches I understand the concrete jungle not the most ideal place but I'm sure there is something you can do. Park or something similar.
2. Plan and plan thoroughly you definitely are doing a bug out level movement, which can be done. Plan how many miles you can cover in a day/night and be realistic about it. Also look into maybe a good bike or some sort of compact device to cover more ground.
3. As far as your cross country plan, you need to start thoroughly networking my longer term bug out plan also takes me cross country so I am currently networking to make that more feasible.
-loved the post really got me thinking so thank you, also thanks everyone for the responses already posted.
"Stay Humble"
mizery0317

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 am

I remember when hubs worked half way around the world for 15 years, I worried about that.
We pretty much concluded if something really serious happened he likely could never make
it back though he would try. I would have been on my own. He would have been with a group
of expats and they likely would be pretty resourceful but big limits too on what they could do.
PatrioticStabilist

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather