• Advertisement

Fence to Keep Out Critters

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Fence to Keep Out Critters

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 am

If you live in an area where there's rattlesnakes, bears, and other such dangerous wild animals would a fence around the yard be adequate to keep them out?
Photon Guy

Re: Fence to Keep Out Critters

Postby Fullmoon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

Depends on what kind of fence you build. I have a 6' high "no climb" wire fence around my garden and orchard that keeps the deer and elk out but a rattle snake can slither right through it. I have plenty of snakes and lizards in that garden but no rattler's so far. Witnessed a half grown skunk wiggle his way through the wires but skunks don't eat fruit or veggies, they dig up grubs and yellow jacket nests, so this is beneficial. Have seen coyote and fox run around the outside of the fence, then leave. Raccoon's will dig under or climb over any fence. If a bear wants in no fence will stop him, they just tear it down or climb over it. Without a fence the critters will eat everything I grow.
Fullmoon

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 pm

No fence is going to keep out Squirrels, birds, mice, rats or snakes or moles and chipmunks which dig under. Much less Asian beetles which do more damage than animals.
I'm studying the cost of a hoop house covered with 1/8" holed hail screen to keep out the beetles. The ate everything this year.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Short answer: no
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 am

I see. Well IceFire talked about carrying a handgun when out in the yard for use against dangerous critters and that does make sense. I was just wondering the effectiveness of a fence and if there is any sort of fence that is good at keeping all dangerous animals out.
Photon Guy

Postby jimLE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

i'm thinking that the proper fence "might " work.but yet,even then.only up to a certain point..in which your on your own after that..i carry a 9 round 22 revolver when at home.it's great for what wild life that i deal with here..we don't have big cats,like cougars panthers or whatever here.nor do we have bears..we do have a long tail cat of some kind here.i believe it's half the size or smaller than a cougar.the rest of the 4 legged animals are raccoon opossum,armadillo and coyote..
jimLE

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

A few strands of electric fencing with a 1J energizer will do for most animals.
For the smaller coons and what not, just a few more stands at the lower levels.
Not sure about snakes.

The two black bears I have ran into on my property, they were more afraid of me than I of them.
Then again, us humans are somewhat odorous. I would run too.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 pm

The most dangerous animal will just find the gate and walk through it.
oldasrocks

Postby IceFire » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Photon Guy wrote:I see. Well IceFire talked about carrying a handgun when out in the yard for use against dangerous critters and that does make sense. I was just wondering the effectiveness of a fence and if there is any sort of fence that is good at keeping all dangerous animals out.

Fences are better for keeping domestic animals I (with limited effectiveness, depending on the animal) than for keeping dangerous critters out. Most of the dangerous ones will fid a way over, under, or through a fence given proper motivation. Snakes can (and DO) tunnel, so they'll go under, or if the fence is not solid, they'll go through the gaps in the fence. Large cats (mountain lions, jaguars--we DO have them in some areas of the country, lynx, bobcats, etc.) will jump OVER the fence. Depending on fence height, coyotes will go over or under. Bears will just smash THROUGH a fence. Still, while it won't STOP them if they are determined, it probably WILL slow them down, at least a little, and is better than no fence at all.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Homesteading Topics