• Advertisement

Off Grid? Really?

General discussions including topics about living off grid

Moderator: watcher

Off Grid? Really?

Postby Saxon Violence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Friends,

I believe that people should do whatever they think is in their best interest. I'm not looking to start an argument…

But once again I got taken in by someone's "Off-Grid" thumbnail on "U" Tube. Generating your own power is certainly off the central grid, but if you get too extreme about alternative power generation, you're not truly "Off-Grid" you're on your own Mini-Grid.

Maybe there is another term for what I mean, but to me "Off-Grid" means that you're willing to live without electricity for the most part. Is there another word for this concept?

I'm no purist. If you want to burn 5-gallons of gasoline per month, or pedal a bicycle generator or put up a Couple Solar panels so you can run your TV and VCR occasionally, or charge a Chess Playing Device or even to light a few strategic LEDs—hey that's cool.

If you are largely turning your back on much of the modern world—how much turning are you doing if you need to take most of your electric devices along with you?

If you really think that society might totally collapse, it probably won't be back in your lifetime. Having an elaborate cotton-candy and ice cream machine in your generator shed only postpones the inevitable.

I remember Ragnar Benson writing that he had 3-freezers a generator and 2-spare generators and he intended to make extensive use of his his freezers after a collapse. How long would a freezer last if you could do basic repairs? 5 to as much as 15-years? That would give you the time to look around and make other plans.

But all I see are folks who seem absurdly pleased that they generate their own electricity without ever considering how sustainable it is.

So anyway, please let me know your thoughts.

Saxon Violence
Saxon Violence

Re: Off Grid? Really?

Postby JoyDog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

If you use gasoline, diesel, propane,wood,or any other source of power you are still on a grid.
JoyDog

Postby handyman777 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:39 am

Are you ever really "off the grid" ? ? ?

You still have to pay tax's - if your on federal or state land and build a structure they will tear it down and fine $$ you. Private property your trespassing.

The only way to do this is to stay mobile (on the move), and how long can you do that.

Now if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI its a different story, it becomes a WROL world.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

JoyDog wrote:If you use gasoline, diesel, propane,wood,or any other source of power you are still on a grid.

Sorry JoyDog about the wood part, wood, coal/coal oil were used for thousands/hundreds of years prior to the grid (electricity), along with the use of a well, outhouse, etc..

https://offgridsurvival.com/living/
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Matte » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Off-grid here, or at least from the standpoint that we have no public utility services. Private well, private septic, solar electric power with generator backup. A land-line phone, sat internet, and DirecTV are our links to the outside world. I suppose we're not off-grid by your definition, in fact as I type this I'm listening to a semi-loud cooling fan running on our ten year old Xantrex inverter/charger in the background - 3 mostly cloudy days in a row drained our batteries to the point that it started our propane generator to recharge them. Not really a problem, in fact we use this time to do the laundry, run the dishwasher, vacuum the carpeted areas, fill the empty toilet flush buckets, and fire up the computer I'm using now. All the electricity I want for about 4 hours, as long as I keep it under the 4kw limit of the inverter at any given time lol. Later we may even make some microwave popcorn and watch half a movie before falling asleep with the TV on, those are kind of special treat things for us when the generator is running.

No goats, chickens, or other livestock. Our garden is modest in the extreme and we don't home can food. When the primary propane tank runs low 2-3 times a year, I call for a fill up. We're not self-sufficient, just semi self-reliant for maybe up to a year with stored beans, bullets, and bandaids. We're good with that, it'd be difficult to keep more than that amount of everything in rotation before it spoiled anyway. Not that we chose this lifestyle solely from a strict prepper/survival perspective, it's just how we choose to live and we enjoy it.

Suppose I'm really not sure what you're asking, and those that might meet your definition of off-grid likely wouldn't have enough excess power to waste posting a response in an internet forum anyway. But whatever you define "off-grid" as, just do it if it appeals to you and find your own sweet spot would be my suggestion.
Matte

Postby Permafrost » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

handyman777 wrote:Are you ever really "off the grid" ? ? ?

You still have to pay tax's.

Some places have no property taxes, and if your income is low enough you pay no federal income tax. So yes you can be free, but most will not like the lifestyle they must live to achieve it. I know a few folks who fit in this group, they might get $3000 to $5000 a year trapping and that is their only income. It is not a bad life, if you don't mind burning rendered bear fat in lamps for your only light all winter long when it's dark 20 or more hours a day.

I myself am "off grid" at my cabin that I am at about 1/3 to 1/2 the year. The other part of the year I am in town working & living with my family. The only things I have that are electric out there are a solar panel for a 12v freezer, and a 2000W generator for the food-saver & meat grinder. One of these days I want to put in some 12v LED lights, because it is really dark in the winter and I miss the light.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RockinB » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:16 am

Saxon Violence wrote:Friends,

Maybe there is another term for what I mean, but to me "Off-Grid" means that you're willing to live without electricity for the most part. Is there another word for this concept?

Saxon Violence

Fronteir living, Pioneer living or lifestyles would be zero power and zero a bunch of other advanced society stuff too. Off Grid generally refers to either the power grid or the people grid. The term "out of the system" is also floated around for those that refuse to be labelled "consumers", "serfs" or "wards of the state" scratching out a living by working their butts off their entire lives at mundane jobs, trying to raise a family and never getting ahead. Very easy to get trapped in the consumerist system since most Americans are in it already with no chance of escape.

That's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby handyman777 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:02 am

Permafrost wrote:
handyman777 wrote:Are you ever really "off the grid" ? ? ?

You still have to pay tax's.

Some places have no property taxes, and if your income is low enough you pay no federal income tax. So yes you can be free, but most will not like the lifestyle they must live to achieve it. I know a few folks who fit in this group, they might get $3000 to $5000 a year trapping and that is their only income. It is not a bad life, if you don't mind burning rendered bear fat in lamps for your only light all winter long when it's dark 20 or more hours a day.

I myself am "off grid" at my cabin that I am at about 1/3 to 1/2 the year. The other part of the year I am in town working & living with my family. The only things I have that are electric out there are a solar panel for a 12v freezer, and a 2000W generator for the food-saver & meat grinder. One of these days I want to put in some 12v LED lights, because it is really dark in the winter and I miss the light.

Way too COOL Permafrost---A lifestyle that some people only dream about. 8)
handyman777

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Saxon Violence wrote:Friends,
Saxon Violence

Sure, there's another word for that concept: Amish!

Although, nowadays, a LOT of Amish use propane powered refrigerators, stoves, etc., and indoor plumbing. It depends on the local ordnung. Some are stricter than others. There are a couple of ordnungs still that do NOT allow propane-powered devices or indoor plumbing...those still use wood-burning stoves for cooking and heating, trek out to the outhouse, and bathing is conducted in a washtub in the kitchen with water heated on the stove.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Energy Discussion