• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

New Grenada County Prepper

Please introduce yourself here.

New Grenada County Prepper

Postby Call_Me_Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 am

I'm fresh out of the Army just finished my first contract as a Combat Medic. Looking to start prepping and start securing my families future any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Call_Me_Doc

Re: New Grenada County Prepper

Postby popcandave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country.
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Welcome, Doc, and thank you for your service!

There are lots of fellow veterans on this site! A good place to start is by building your food and water supply. You do NOT need to go out and buy a bunch of 'emergency" food. Buy what you normally eat...just buy extra! One thing I like to do with canned goods, is to look at the "best by" date (and no, the food does NOT need to be destroyed if it is past that date!) and write it on the can (so it is easily visible) and then put the cans into a rotation system based on the date.

Also, check out the "How to Start Prepping (The Basics) section http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/viewforum.php?f=616 for more suggestions.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Call_Me_Doc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:01 am

Thank yall for the warm welcome! About how long to canned goods last?
Call_Me_Doc

Postby Fullmoon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:32 am

Depends on what kind of food is in those cans. Tomato sauce and tomato's which have a natural high acid level will go bad first. Most canned goods have a "use before this date" stamped on the bottom of the can but the contents are good long after that date. I have used canned goods 5 years beyond the stamped date with no issues. They had been stored in a cool dry area up off the floor and out of direct sunlight. Best bet is to smell the contents of old cans, the nose knows, and look for discoloration of contents. You may also purchase long term storage canned goods which have a shelf life of 25 years. Places like Wall Mart sell these items as well as many on line outlets.
Fullmoon

Postby jean11 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Welcome aboard "Doc" - we're glad to have you. One thing I'd like to mention is how valuable an inventory is of your items you've purchased for your "stash". For me, when I bring my prepping supplies home and place them on the kitchen counter I grab my inventory and write it down. Hard to remember what you bought last year, let alone five years ago. Now I list them by category - Canned dinners/fruits/vegetables/meats. Dry grains/oatmeal/rice/beans/flour/pancake mix, etc. each is counted. First Aid, Hygiene, Kitchen Items, etc. etc. It makes me feel better knowing exactly what I have - and what I still need to get.
jean11

Postby Call_Me_Doc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:33 am

I'm fairly new to this so my stash is almost non existent, but I do have a fairly decent amount of medical supplies so for now I think I may focus more on water and maybe rice and beans and then throw some extra cans of veggies and fruits in the basket when my wife isn't looking!
Call_Me_Doc

Return to Check In Here Mississippi Preppers