• Advertisement

"Conditioning" dehydrated food in hi-humidity..how?

Vacuum Sealer discussions

"Conditioning" dehydrated food in hi-humidity..how?

Postby mkcr5921 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:59 pm

How do you condition freshly dehydrated food prior to sealing in mylar with oxygen absorbers in a humid environment? I laughed when my electric dehydrator instr. book said to condition for one week in a cool, dry place before sealing. If I left dehydrated food sitting out for a week (there's no cool dry place in my house), it would rehydrate on its own. I live in Hawaii and currently it is raining and the humidity is 99% and the indoor temp is 70. The average year-round humidity is between 68 -87% and rises to 100 on even a light rainy day.

Is conditioning absolutely necessary? Couldn't I just dry it a long time, let it cool, and seal in Mylar right away? I guess I should have thought of the humidity problem before investing in this machine.

I'm new to canning and preserving so I don't know what to do. Should I send the dehydrator back and just pressure-can my food? I just got the dehydrator yesterday so it is still in the box.
mkcr5921

Re: "Conditioning" dehydrated food in hi-humidity..how?

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:35 pm

I've been using a dehydrator for several years, and I've never heard of "conditioning" the food after dehydrating. I usually just remove it from the dehydrator, put it in Ziploc bags or canning jars (depending on what it is) and putting it up.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 pm

I never heard of that either. I take it out of the dehydrator and vacuum seal it. The End!
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Same here in Louisiana! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am

you got environmental problem to the max - it's not only DIY dehydrated that you have a problem - it's dry goods foods in general .... bulk bought rice stored in an unconditioned environment - for example - would be toooo high to pack directly ....

for your dehydrated foods - you'll have to 2nd Step using a contained chamber and more dehydrating - like a sealed bucket with desiccant packs to soak up more moisture - then include desiccant packs with your final canned foods ....

you aren't alone being in Hawaii - the southern US states during the summer have similar high humidity problems ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby LetsPrep11 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:39 am

We live in Florida, a few miles in from the coast, so we have extremely high humidity. After the dehydrated food cools, I throw a desiccant pack (very inexpensive) in the Mason jar. A day or two latter, the jar gets vacuum sealed. Have never had a problem.

Note: Used desiccant can be dried by placing the packs in a 275-300 deg. oven for about an hour.
After a doing Cost Benefit Analysis of the cost of gas and the A/C running non-stop for over an hour, I decided to just buy new ones.
LetsPrep11

Return to Vacuum Sealing