• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

October 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

October 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Starting off the new month.

Electrician has been out the last 2 days to
1.) Trench from the supply pole out to the "canning kitchen" and putting in conduit to run the new electric wire (since the old wire is shot...whoever put it in 30+ years ago "cut corners" and did NOT run it through conduit, and now it's shorting out)
2.) Run additional conduit in the same trench before splitting off to DD's house (we'll run the wire later down the road, but having the conduit already in place makes things MUCH easier!)
3.) "Rough in" the wiring and boxes for outlets and lighting for the "she shed", to include some exterior outlets.

Now that the wiring is in place, I can proceed with insulating. Already have several sections cut, just need to get them in place. Also started moving fabric boxes out of the bedroom and (temporarily) into the closet area of the shed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: October 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby ajax727 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 pm

They are picking corn here so I had a truck load dumped in the grain bin . I had to move a LPG tank to run the dryer but it is dry and ready to feed the live stock when I need it . My auger motor was a bit ch to crank but after a new gas new plug and cleaning the flywheel a oil change and a new pull cord it fired right up . It is old as dirt so now I got to patch a few places in the tube were the rust has ate a few holes in it so it will be ready for next year .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 am

Well, being behind enemy lines and the missus putting a "slight delay" :rolleyes: on the relocation plans, I went big on a feasible prep...Under the guise(and reality at the same time) of making memories....

BOOM!!! ...... A get-outa-dodge mobile fortress!!!...(lol...not quite)

Will definitely be fun and have a freeeeeee, secure storage site where I can leave it loaded with alternate/backup preps....All under 4500 lbs.

Enter the 2018 fortress. :rofl: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRje5TUlvo0 ...(Nice walkthrough on the interior)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXjqDamf7O0 ...(Exterior glance)

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-keystone-passport-ultra-lite-express-travel-trailer-floorplan-153ml-tr32375 ....(And here is the full specs.)

I used to run the largest RV dealerships here in CA(ages ago)...With my contacts still intact I got it at cost so it worked out perfect....Without disclosing their cost here, basically its a $153 a month prep that I could immediately sell if I needed to for maybe only a 1-2K loss with "Over the curb" deprecation even though I bought it brand new....(I did find a 2017 back east missing quite a bit of the standard load outs for only $14K, but with transport to me it would have ended up the same cost)

Here's to making memories!!!... :innocent: ;) :innocent:

~D
(FOREVER FORWARD MY PREPPER BRETHEREN)

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

I had a very focused weekend with the wife and daughter out of town. Took over the kitchen and breakfast room to do a full inventory of my medical and hygiene preps. Identified some gaps and shortfalls and started purchasing needed items to fill those gaps. Enhanced my off-grid cooking capabilities with a grill, briquettes, etc. Increased my knowledge and skills by learning to make 1) bread without yeast 2) naan from my prepped supplies 3) briquettes from shredded paper 4) how to make IV saline and lactated rings solutions. I meet with some newbies at a urban cooperative group a friend started. Most folks were all bluster but one guy was quiet, reserved and dropped some knowledgeable comments that make me think he's a bit more progressed in preparedness thinking.

Added 2 more 5 gal water containters. Added 2 more 5 gal gas containers. Rotated out another 5gal gas into my car's tank. Mylar bagged more rice, flour, beans, etc....that I had been procrastinating on doing. Vac-sealed a few things to extend shelf-life. Bought more buckets and gamma lids.

Started on a presentation for a prepper meetup group on SHTF diseases, prevention and how to change one' thinking about prepping for disease scenarios.
Baught more food & supplies for my preps. Need to rotate out more food this month.

Did not buy any more guns or ammo. Haven't been to the range yet either.

Added content to my eJournal and reorganized it some. File and organized my printed prepping/homesteading materials.

That's about it.
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby anita » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Moving on Friday!

Purged a lot of older canned goods, dried beans, etc. (I've been sprouting dried lentils/beans and feeding to the chickens.) Now the chickens are gone. Plan to install a new Fort Knox chicken coop and run within the fenced orchard area this spring, once I get the house squared away.

A lot to do. Can't wait to get started.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 am

anita wrote:Moving on Friday!

Purged a lot of older canned goods, dried beans, etc. (I've been sprouting dried lentils/beans and feeding to the chickens.) Now the chickens are gone. Plan to install a new Fort Knox chicken coop and run within the fenced orchard area this spring, once I get the house squared away.

A lot to do. Can't wait to get started.

Good luck anita....hoping for a smooth transition for you. :)
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm

While we were out running errands today, picking up bits and supplies for finishing the "she shed", husband decided to go to the antique "mall", and I found (drumroll please...--actually, daughter pointed it out to me) a 1908/1909-vintage cast-iron and enamel Home Comfort woodburning cookstove! :clap: :clap: It does need a little bit of cleaning and repair; but fortunately, I know someone who can do that; AND it came with the flue pipes (I will most likely replace SOME of them with double-wall pipes after it's fixed and being installed) as well as all of the "lifters" for the burners. (6 burners in all...2 small ones, and 4 large.) Got it for under $600...looked online, and found out they usually go for $3,000 and up :shock:

Getting it home was quite a production. When we went, we had the car, so I went home to get the truck; then, ended up going back home to get the trailer (It has a ramp, so MUCH easier to get the stove onto, as opposed to into the bed of the truck. And "easier" is a relative term...it took 4 of us to get it loaded. It's still on the trailer, covered with a tarp.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am

@Anita- hope the move went well and congrats! @Icefire, great deal on the stove/oven!

I've been doing some incremental things like Woodchipper.

Tried my first Kimchi. My taste buds enjoyed it, but found my stomach wasn't ready for the probiotics. That won't deter me from future ferments. I've got some kombucha going too. My next experiment is ACV, since it's so useful. I went apple picking last weekend, so have some apples to try for a natural ferment. I also picked up a jar of raw, unpasteurized ACV that I might try as a starter for another batch with raw apples or cider since it's that time of year. Picked the last of my peppers. Had a great yield this season with just a few container plants.

I had a needed and unfortunately expensive truck repair this past week, so thought I'd test out my very old renovated mountain bike to get home after dropping it off at the shop. About 2 miles from home and a pedal broke off the crank arm. :cursing: The threads were stripped out halfway in the crank and the pedal threads were mangled too. So... I walked that home. I then looked up pricing for a tap and die, and that's more than a cycle repair shop, but no guarantee a fix is possible with tapping new threads. Replacing the crank and pedals would get me to 80-90% of the cost of a new bike, so I went with plan C.

Plan C- A rummage sale this weekend. I went Friday and attend twice a year so know when and where all the good stuff is at. I started at the sporting goods tent where the bikes were out back. Picked up an 18 speed mountain bike, with a rack over the back tire. It was only $24 and just needs a rear tube. That's not problem since I'd just replaced tubes on the old bike and they're the same tire size. I now have 3 bikes- the old mountain bike that I may repair in the future or junk/freecycle, the newly acquired mountain bike that will be operable with a simple tube repair, and a road bike that just needs both tubes and tires (which is a low priority since it's not going to be useful off road).

Also at the sale, I picked up some medical supplies (ace bandages, sponges, etc.), a nice backpack for $6 (and found 2 dollar bills inside!!), two ETON emergency crank radios that were stupid cheap ($8 and $10 in box, vs. retail of $35+), two wool army blankets for $8 each (another great price), a large unused brewing pail with siphon hoses for $5, and 2 bags of .50-$1 books- with several on herbal medicine, gardening, tree identification, laminated state map book, and wild game/sausage/seafood cookbooks.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Nice score at the rummage sale, Mike!

Just got home from Church, so this afternoon, will be helping daughter put tile on the wall behind where their woodstove will be going. Afterward, hoping to get another piece of drywall up in my "she shed", then mud and tape that, then put up the cementboard for where the little woodburner will go to heat the shed (No, NOT the cookstove I just got) and MAYBE start the tile where that will go.

Whatever doesn't get done today will get worked on tomorrow. (Thank goodness for holidays!)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Got finished doing the tile behind where my daughter's woodburner will go, then got the piece of drywall up in the 'she shed", put the cement board in place on the wall and another small piece on the floor, then got the wall and floor spot tiled. Tomorrow afternoon we'll grout at both places. (It has to dry for 24 hours prior to grouting.) After that, her woodburner will be able to be moved in...we have a friend who will do the hookup of the piping and route it outside. After the little woodburner gets cleaned up (it needs a wire brush taken to the outside and the inside needs a total cleanout) then that will be moved to the shed and we'll do a repeat with hooking up the chimney pipes.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 am

Tested some winter preps. Had a chance to go out on a glacier and verified that winter boots and socks kept feet warm and dry despite walking into multiple puddles. Also tested new 1 liter thermos by making tea with boiling water and a single tea bag. Six hours later I had tea that was too hot to drink without letting it cool.
dmwalsh568

Postby IceFire » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Got started on the foundation for the new chicken coops. Have the concrete "piers" in place, and the 2x6's on top. Next will be getting the hardware and additional 2x6s for "stringers", and plywood for the platform which will be the floor.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Was back in DC area helping the kid get the rest of the household goods situated for the move-in. Also hung out while kid was at work getting all the repairs done - after move-in, the guy in the next apartment broke off a shower head, and didn't bother reporting it. He just took baths instead...well, the shower was still running. Damaged apartments all the way down multiple floors and the kid's apartment, too - fortunately, kid only needed new carpet for the whole living room. The other apartments required new sheetrock, paint, and new carpet. While I was at it, got the leaky faucet and not-hot-enough water heater cartridge fixed.

Set up a closet for emergencies, now kid has 8 gallons of water in crates, along with emergency food stuffs. Car is packed with GOOD requirements, in case kid needs to take off in a hurry.

I returned home Saturday.

Husband spent the weeks I was gone building the cat shelter. He built a basic box, with a piece of 1 inch insulation on the floor (recycled from our old camper skirting), that fits the 3 heated cat houses I got on sale. Now we can feed the cats on top of the box, and when they get cold, they can pop into their warm little nests. We had to toss the cats outside, for some reason, they took to going potty in the house. In all the years we've had them, they never did it before, but once started, they wouldn't stop. Since they're used to snuggly warmth, I wanted to make sure they had good winter boxes to sleep in. Didn't plan on getting the heated houses, but then they went on sale for half off. Even with the box we built from scrap wood, it was cheaper to buy than build/create what I'd originally planned.

Husband also took some scrap wood and made a wood base for the dog's outdoor futon - the old futon mattress was firmer than the one we use now, which gets stuck in the slats...so a wood base zip-tied to the frame makes it firm. If we need to take it apart, we just cut the zip ties.

Thawed 10 pounds of chicken today. Husband made chicken stew. I made roasted chicken legs, and I put all the leftover scraps in the Instant Pot with some veggies and spices for chicken broth. When I strained it, I picked out the chicken bits and saved them for the dog. He loves chicken. It made 5 pints of broth, too.

My garden basically died - I got some tomatoes, some tomatillos, and a jalepeno. The orange tree has huge oranges on it, but our winter comes too soon for them to ripen. A single lime seed has taken off! I have one tiny, one inch high lime tree growing (I planted 9-10 seeds). I'll be moving the orange, lemon, and lime trees indoors soon.
Cin

Postby Cin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Grocery shopping and yard sales today.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used.

Also checked out a new grocery store in town - they had swordfish and scallops, two things I've not been able to find in this little rural town. Will scout it out when I have more time, to see what other specialties they carry.

LTS:

2pack of peanut butter

We ordered and received 6 #10 cans of on sale freeze-dried food (rice/chicken) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M7Z2JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yardsales:

1 jean jacket for niece - 50 cents
1 pair leggings for niece - 25 cents
1 Thermarest mattress - $2 (pump part is broken but still decent padding)
1 DVD - $2
1 yoga mat (never used) - $2 - this was put on top of the cat shelter to insulate the box and keep their eating area neat
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Made a Sam's/Costco/fabric store run yesterday. Got 50 lbs of rice, and a few other goodies. At the fabric store, found a 60-inch tall ROLL of a BEAUTIFUL blue wool that was so fine (as in NOT the usual more coarse wool) VERY lightweight, with a very smooth texture, almost like satin.

Finished the insulation in the sewing/craft shed, and then moved to drywalling...finished up with what I had on hand (to include doing the "cutouts" for electrical outlets, window, and electric panel) At a standstill now until I get 3 more sheets of drywall to finish off the job. (Drywall sheets will be coming on Wednesday.

Got the "drywall sealant and primer" paint for the shed (and got it tinted the color I wanted) as well as the metal supports for the stringers for the foundation of the chicken coops. While I'm waiting for the drywall, I'll work on the chicken coops, so at least SOMETHING will be getting done.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion