• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

October 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: October 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby NJMike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 am

It's getting cold tonight, so I've begun closing up the garden this past weekend. The last of the tomatoes and peppers have been picked. The tomato plants have been removed and tomato cages stacked. Harvested most of the herbs and hung them to dry with clothes pins on jute string. Still have more to pick tonight after work, especially the prolific Perilla I took a chance on trying. I also brought several containers indoors to see about overwintering them. And a friend gave me some Goji berry seedlings, so I'm going to see about keeping those alive until I move and can find a more permanent planting location.

Space is one of my biggest challenges. I recently moved 2 ladders out of storage and into my temporary space. One of them is a 4 segment combination ladder. Fully closed and with the rungs together in parallel groups of 4, I'm able to use it effectively as a short bookcase, and still have it around as a ladder if I ever need it.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:53 pm

I need to pick green tomatoes and wrap them in paper. I have lot of red ones too that I need
to pick, also the last of the poblano peppers. I mowed part of the garden down the other day,
hubs needs to brush hog the rest as we have big sunflower stalks out there.

Just buying rice, pasta, and stuff from Big Lots, also a 50 pound bag of potatoes, we are working
on those so won't last to long.

Just adding to the stash here and there, hear its going to be a hard winter, don't know.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 pm

The first hog is down, gutted and hanging in the barn.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby IceFire » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Stopped at Lowe's after work and bought the last 3 pieces of drywall I need to finish the walls of the shed, as well as 9 2x6's for stringers for the foundation of the chicken coops. got the tops cut off of the drywall sheets (they are just a few inches too tall to fit) and have them set up by the walls where they need to go. Will need to measure and mark where I need to cut to accommodate outlets, light switch, door, and window. Also measured and marked where the support brackets for the stringers need to go. Had to stop for the night, as it got too dark. Still, every little bit is a little bit closer to completion.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 am

Sectioned off a little of the chicken house and moved the peepers out yesterday. They were fully feathered so should be ok. I will keep them separated for about a week..
I'm going to try and plant my greenhouse if I can move around this morning one of the chicks got loose in the barn and it was pretty much a rodeo trying to catch it. I am to old to be crawling on the ground :ouch: :ouch:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 pm

We've had a generator for many years but have never used it. Husband unboxed it, and we are prepping our garage to set it up permanently in a corner, with it's own electrical box and connections. A few years ago, we had the electric company install a kill switch on the pole so there'd be no backfeed when we eventually connected the generator. The time has come, we've had a couple power outages this summer for the first time, so we figure winter will probably have more outages.

I started cleaning out my closets and drawers - I have too many clothes and many don't fit since I dropped 30+ pounds. A few months ago I cleaned out 1/3 of the my clothes...today I got rid of another 1/3. I'll probably sell the expensive stuff on our local online sell/swap for cheap, the rest will go to charity, or perhaps one of my neighbors' yard sales.

We found out from a neighbor that the phone companies are now offering phones with wifi calling - i.e. they can sync to the internet and allow calling via wifi when a cell tower is not within range. That means we can now have a cell phone at our house that will actually allow incoming and outgoing calls. We've had a burner flip cell phone that we keep in the car for travel, but never had a regular cell phone with all the amazing features. When the phone can't find a network to sync to, it simply acts as a regular cell phone. We got one from Verizon with unlimited calling, both regular and wifi, unlimited texting, and 5G data if we use the phone as a hotspot. Around $50 a month, but we won't know the real cost until the first bill, as all the taxes the gov't adds aren't included yet.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Got another sheet of the drywall up between getting home from work, feeding animals, fixing dinner, and running off to a meeting in the town 1/2 hour away. Had to do the "cutouts" for the door frame, the triple light switch, and one of the outlets. Also started on the cutout for the window on another sheet of drywall (hoping to get it up tomorrow after work, and before feeding critters, hubby, and running off to a rehearsal. Hoping to get the last of the drywall up by Thursday evening (before taking off for another rehearsal) so that I can mud and tape on Friday. Electrician will be here Saturday, so while he's working, hoping to get some work done on the chicken coops.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby tamtbell » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Okay so this is not just this week. More like the past year? Two?

Since moving from Fairbanks to North Pole I have gotten my Master Gardener with the UAF co op extension (almost, I have to do my 40 hrs volunteer time)
We have developed our garden to be able to produce more, its still no where near perfect but better than it was in 2016.
We have started a rabbitry with 4 does, 2 bucks. We've harvested about 50 lbs of meat so far and loads and loads of wonderful rabbit manure, perfect for the garden. I keep all the furs and have now started to learn how to tan those hides/furs. I plan to use at least some of them for blankets, hats or lining for mittens.
This year we started beekeeping, we harvested 7 gallons of honey which I sold some of, traded some of, kept some of. Only negative is beekeeping is not a easily sustainable venture for up here in the interior, the honey bees do not overwinter well. Next year we plan to increase to three hives instead of two.
I hope to get better at it and do more research to see if there is any way possible, any way that the people who have been doing it for over 10 years may have missed. I don't think I will find a way but I'll keep plugging at it.
This summer we built a woodshed to help our wood dry faster. Means we have also a nice dry area to store our wood. Helpful for our winters here. Of course our local borough is being stupid about heating, forbidding any of us to heat during certain times of the year with solid fuels (pellets, firewood, coal)
Massive over reach in our lives in my opinion.
As of this Autumn I started college to go towards holistic medicine. Right now I'm going for my Herbal Retail Management but I think I might move towards either nutrition or Master Herbalist. I've always had a strong aptitude towards both allopathic and naturopathic medicine so this just expands my talent in that direction.
I still have my goal to get my technician license in HAM but just haven't had the time yet.
So that is my progress since Jan 2016.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

TamTBell - one of my kids is trying to get me to take the Holistic/Herbal Medicine courses -since I'm already the local herbal person everyone goes to anyway...I haven't decided. Learned a lot on my own, but there's plenty more to learn. I'd have to do online classes, too far away from any decent college.
Cin

Postby tamtbell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 am

Mine is all online, I do get a lot of assignments for lab work though at home but then I have to document my work. I'm attending ACHS American college of healthcare sciences.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Got my honeyville order of 2 cases of freeze dried meat and 2 cases of vegetables thanks to their additional 10% off besides their regular 10% off.

Got the garlic planted, grandson and youngest granddaughter planted some too, grandson took 2nd place this year for his garlic at the local grange fair. Got most of the corn cut and chopped.

Grandson (10 yo) got his first buck (5 pt) this past saturday while hunting here on the farm with me, he's happier then a pig in mud, smoked up about 5 lb of meat and took it over to him, very tasty.

Went to the city flea market and picked up a few auger bits and a couple hacksaws with extra blades and 10 pound of various length dry wall screws. The wife got 6, 1/2 gallon canning jars and 5 more 5 gallon food grade buckets, they smell like vanilla pudding.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 pm

DD, DIL, and I joined our local fitness club about a month ago, its affiliated with our small
hospital here and its a very nice one. We got a family pass for all 3 of us for $60 a month.
Inside walking track, cushioned, very good equipment, totally equipped. We have been
working out 3 days a week. Has really helped me reduce back pain and increase my strength.
DD, being mentally challenged is over weight, seems to go with it, but she is really hitting
it hard, so proud of her and she is improving. DIL is already a tiny thing but has high cholesterol
of all things so it should help her too.

This is just a part of preparedness far as I'm concerned, intended to do this for a long time and
just wasn't motivated, had to thank DIL for helping us get it.

Has really really helped reduce my back pain by making the muscles stronger.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby IceFire » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Wow, Tam...you HAVE been busy!

Got another sheet of drywall up in the shed (with cutouts for window and outlet.) Hoping to finish tomorrow, then Friday will be able to start mudding and taping. I look at the entire project as my learning experience and practice for when we're ready to start working on the canning kitchen. (That will be a REALLY big project!)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jimLE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am

I finally got my hall closet fixed up as a tornado safe room. Now it's a matter of getting it stocked up with needed foods, tools, and other items needed for in there.
jimLE

Postby tamtbell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm

IceFire wrote:Wow, Tam...you HAVE been busy!

Got another sheet of drywall up in the shed (with cutouts for window and outlet.) Hoping to finish tomorrow, then Friday will be able to start mudding and taping. I look at the entire project as my learning experience and practice for when we're ready to start working on the canning kitchen. (That will be a REALLY big project!)

Yup, plus I've been bartering all summer. Our freezer, pantry is stocked completely. No more room and unfortunately we have 26 lbs of chicken coming our way shortly as well as about another 20 lbs of rabbit.
I've also learned how to make sausage now from rabbit and I'm learning chacuterie which is something I've always wanted to learn!
Next year we will be adding a chicken coop with a tent over it to help keep the chickens a bit warmer as well as actively going out for fishing and hunting.

Icefire I would love to have a canning kitchen! That would be very neat to have. I think greenhouse and root cellar will be next for us though.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion