• Advertisement

Financial Crash, Red Flags, Trip Points and Check Lists

Post general California topics here

Financial Crash, Red Flags, Trip Points and Check Lists

Postby Rosemead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Over on Survivalblog, Florida Dave writes about the weeks run up to Hurricane Irma. https://survivalblog.com/action-report-hurricane-irma-florida-dave/. Pretty good article describing information he got, how he processed it and actions he took.

If there is one, there is a hundred, financial experts talking stock market crash, and bank failures. Most are selling gold, but I'll not discount their information, charts and other red flags. I believe we are on the cusp of a great depression. Some can say it has already started.

So:
Do you have a check list for a financial crisis. Are there trip points that make you go out fill the gas tank on the car and order a couple more buckets-o-food. Knowing in three days time the banks will have crashed and all of your money will be gone.

And what will it be like afterwords. Another Greece, $64 dollars a day? Or worst.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Re: Financial Crash, Red Flags, Trip Points and Check Lists

Postby IceFire » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Friend of mine is a financial advisor. He's concerned enough about a financial crash that he's stepped up his prepping; to the point of moving out of town and building a totally off-grid straw bale house.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Sounds like man who can answer my questions. I wonder what he see's, what scared him?

Are you going to invite him over?

Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Postby Blondie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 am

I think the greatest threat to the financial is a lights out/ grid down scenario where not only banks are affected but so are food stamps and card terminals at stores and gas stations.

Nobody should be banking at their corner bank anymore. Where everyone knows your name and your business. My bill pay account while not at a bank has enough cash in it to only pay bills. Lights out? I'm out very little.

You need to think of diversification of your assets and work on hard assets. Mark Cuban wrote an article for CNBC explaining that buying a year's worth of toothpaste on sale is a great investment if you're working with very little capital.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 am

Precursor's are all there....I see it starting in tech(Actually for a while)...Everything pre 2000 bubble has already happened....Especially in the top ten or FAANG.
Just research the top 10 in 1999 and follow them backwards...then look where those same companies are today........If you take todays FAANG and track them back just the last 1-1/2 years you'll see what I mean....and don't talk to me about solvency...the same was said about the top 10 in 1999.

What happens from there, recovery or complete crash is anyone's guess...It's pure speculation in a world economy gone where we are today after 2008.

I have almost no cash in the banks(Relatively speaking)....It hurts my investments growth but if we go on a "Bank holiday" We'll be fine.
Losing what I have in the banks/stocks will suck but oh well...If I needed it to survive day to day it wouldn't be there to begin with. I diversify with my preps amongst stocks/bonds/reserves.(I really don't have much)

I may be naïve in my thinking "It'll never happen here" and agree in general with Blondie above, but obviously my actions speak louder than my words.(It's not like I'm some financial guru or anything)

Heck, I run all my business and personal accounts up so high each month before paying them down to $0, if it hits at the right time I'll make out like a bandit in that area at least!

Jokes aside....I'm watching it like a hawk.

~D
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Rosemead wrote:Sounds like man who can answer my questions. I wonder what he see's, what scared him?

Are you going to invite him over?

I think what he sees is the same thing I see...the unsustainability of gov't debt, shakiness of stock market, fragility of the whole supply/distribution system, fragility of the grid (most people have absolutely NO clue just how fragile the energy grid is), etc.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Blondie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Keep an eye on 401k legislation if that's part of your retirement package.

The Repubs have floated an idea to cut contributions to just $2,400/yr. More money for you to spend and them to tax. While DJT tweeted it won't happen, news surfaced today it's still in consideration.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Nope don't do the 401k thing. I do my OWN "retirement" plan; one where the shyster bankers and feds can't get their mitts on it, ad I have FULL CONTROL of it, which means I can access it IF I need to, WITHOUT paying a "penalty".
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby sageprice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Several years ago there was a CPA who published a article that due to our expenditures for welfare and entitlements, a crash was inevitable. If a common CPA can see this then so should you. They just understand it better. What do YOU do about it is another matter. ASK yourself seriously, am I self sustaining or am I dependent? Don't look at your "closet" preps. Go look in the mirror. Can you live without the drugstore, the grocery store or the hardware? Will you be chained to the water utility or sewage service? Do you live from the freezer? Get off your duff and study the history of economic crashes from a common mans view not from a stock brokers view.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Rosemead » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Im of two minds as to how a financial crises will come about. The first, and less likely would have the stock market/banks continue to be propped up with fake money until cash is made illegal. I don't see the end game, the propose. Us dirt people will just move to the black market. With no taxes, how would that serve the elites?

The second, say's the law of unintended consequences and hatred for President Trump will cause everything to crash sooner than later. Yes EBT/debit cards will stop working. There will be riots, and possibly a die off, and I see it as the start of a ten to fifteen year great depression. One positive, it will create a new generation of cash hoarders.

This second scenario was discussed among my group of friends on the the run up to the election. All of us agree that there is going to be a crash, no matter who is president. But Donald Trump would be the most likely to lessen the impact and shorten the duration. What we did not see was the obstructionism of members of the Republican party.

There is a lot of noise about this, I'm just trying to sort thru it. Ideas, comments, are welcome.

Watch your six.

-R

Rosemead

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather