• Advertisement

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Post your recipes here

Re: Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 am

One more rice recipe, this one is pretty simple and makes a great side dish!

Simple Rice Pilaf

1/4 cup butter (any oil or fat would work)
2 cups uncooked white rice
1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 & 1/2 cups chicken broth (any broth would work)
2 cups water

In a large skillet with a lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add rice and orzo.
Saute until rice becomes opaque & orzo starts to brown lightly. Stir in spices.
Add broth and water, bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook for 20 minutes,
until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Serves 8

As you can see, most recipes are very versatile with their basic ingredients. You can use a different fat, broth, herb or spice to make it your own or just use what you have on hand.
In a SHTF world, it will be a use what you have, adjusting recipes as you go. And of course, changing out for fresh herbs when you have them is a great way to "freshen up" your dishes.
And a quick note on the orzo pasta - this is a very versatile pasta that can be eaten by itself but great in soups. We snag small shaped pasta whenever we see them on deep discount because they are easy to store, will last a long time and will add extra texture and calories to soups - which in the winters will be the prepper's staple.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:52 am

Growing up and spending most of my life in the south, soup has never been one of my favorite things. I realize that soup is a great way to feed folks when supplies are tight and can be filling and warm, especially with fresh bread. Sunday was windy and cool so I decided to use some of our canned tomatoes and make tomato soup for lunch.

Easy Tomato Soup

3 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
4 cups chicken stock
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
Large pinch of Saffron threads
Salt & pepper
1 cup prepared orzo pasta or rice
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in stock, tomatoes, saffron, 1 Tbsp of salt and 1 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add prepared orzo or rice, stir in cream and return to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more salt & pepper if needed. Serve hot.

This soup has a nice deep flavor that is truly worth the extra punch of saffron and cream but those items will fade away should the SHTF. Saffron is the world's most expensive spice per pound but available at the grocery store in the Hispanic area and of course on Amazon at a reasonable price - you only need a pinch. For the cream, powdered milk or creamer could be used as well as a skim milk & cornstarch slurry or possibly evaporated milk. I've left it out before and it's still good. Also my adaptations are a quart of home canned tomatoes in place of the canned and adjusting the stock to accommodate more tomatoes. I also like less onion and chop them fine. This is simply seasoned but would be good with your home grown herbs such as basil, oregano or cilantro.

I could really use more soup recipes in my book so please share if you have a favorite! Thanks for stopping by :wave:

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

The only other soup recipe that we have tried and liked was a knock off from a restaurant that I found online. This was Hub's favorite last winter.

Toscana Soup

1 lb. sausage, chopped or sliced
2 lg russet potatoes, sliced in half, sliced in 1/4 in. slices
1 lg onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. chopped kale
2 (8oz) cans chicken broth
1 qt. of water
1 c. heavy cream

Brown sausage in your soup pot. Add broth & water and stir.
Place onions, potatoes and garlic in the pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 10 minutes. Turn to low heat and add kale & cream.
Heat through and serve.

LTS alternatives would be freeze dried sausage crumbles, dehydrated/freeze dried potatoes, dehydrated onion & garlic, and fresh grown kale (it grows all winter!) but I'm sure freeze dried or fresh spinach would work as any other winter greens like collards, mustard or turnip greens. Same substitutes for heavy cream that I mention in the above post for tomato soup.

This is it for my soup repertoire. :blush:

Until next time,
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 pm

A concern that many prepper cooks face is adequate substitutes for basic ingredients for our recipes. As I have posted recipes, I have often added possible variations and substitutes.

My focus with this post is substitutes for an ingredient that most people take for granted, EGGS! While we do have chickens, there may be a time when we don't have fresh eggs or enough eggs to meet our group's cooking needs.

Here are a few substitutes for a whole egg:

3 Tbsp peanut butter
OR
1/2 mashed banana
OR
1/4 cup of any of the following: unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes, canned pumpkin, canned squash, or puréed prunes.

Do you have a suggested substitute for an egg in a recipe? Please share with your APN friends!
Also, any other substitutes you may know of or use that you think might come in handy when food becomes scarce such as in a SHTF situation.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby rickdun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:A concern that many prepper cooks face is adequate substitutes for basic ingredients for our recipes. As I have posted recipes, I have often added possible variations and substitutes.

My focus with this post is substitutes for an ingredient that most people take for granted, EGGS! While we do have chickens, there may be a time when we don't have fresh eggs or enough eggs to meet our group's cooking needs.

Here are a few substitutes for a whole egg:

3 Tbsp peanut butter
OR
1/2 mashed banana
OR
1/4 cup of any of the following: unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes, canned pumpkin, canned squash, or puréed prunes.

Do you have a suggested substitute for an egg in a recipe? Please share with your APN friends!
Also, any other substitutes you may know of or use that you think might come in handy when food becomes scarce such as in a SHTF situation.

Mrs FP

This is what my wife says or according to her notes:

1/4 cup condensed milk for cookies or cakes
1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar for cakes and quick breads

The best thing is ENER-G egg replacer that she ordered last year from Wal-Mart via the net, free shipping to nearest store.

16 oz. box = 113 servings (1 1/2 teaspoon = 1 egg).
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks rick dun (and wife) for sharing your egg substitutes! I knew there was a vinegar one - but wasn't sure of the exact measure. We have whole egg powder in our LTS but I think only a couple cans and once it is opened the clock starts ticking on its shelf life. I do a lot of baking so egg substitutes are mainly for baking.

Speaking of baking, here are a few more substitutes:

1 cup of sugar: 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp of honey OR 2/3 cup maple syrup and reduce other liquids by 3 Tbsp

1 cup of honey: 1-1/4 cups sugar & 1/4 cup of water

1 cup dark corn syrup: 3/4 cup light corn syrup & 1/4 cup molasses

1 cup light corn syrup: 1 cup sugar & 1/4 cup of water

Anyone have a sweetener substitute or replacement that you currently use or have planned for long term?

Keepin' life sweet!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm

One more post with substitutions that may come in handy!

1 tsp lemon juice = 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 Tbsp prepared mustard = 1/2 tsp ground mustard OR 2 tsp vinegar

2 cups tomato sauce = 3/4 cup tomato paste plus 1 cup water

1 oz semi sweet chocolate = 1 square unsweetened chocolate plus 1 Tbsp sugar

1 cup cake flour = 1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 Tbsp

1 cup self rising flour = 1 cup all purpose flour plus 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder = 1/2 tsp cream of tartar plus 1/4 tsp baking soda

Hope these come in handy! Feel free to add any of your own.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby MrDanB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Dirty Rice

1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound beef sausage
1 onion (finely diced)
1 (8 ounce) package dirty rice mix (Zatarains or equivalent)
2 cups water
1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes (diced, with green chile peppers)
2 (15 ounces) cans kidney beans (drained)
to taste salt and pepper

Preparation:
First: In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, sausage, and onion; drain.

Next: In a large pan, combine rice mix and 2 cups water. Add diced tomatoes and chilies. Stir in the kidney beans. Bring to a boil, then add meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Return to boil, reduce heat, and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook for 25 minutes, until rice is easily fluffed with a fork.

This is one of my all time favorites from bachelor days... Very hearty and delicious! If I can make it YOU can make it.lol
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks Mr Dan B! That is dirty rice on steroids! It would be good with LTS like beef and sausage crumbles or even fresh ground venison, rabbit or chicken. And it could definitely feed a crowd.

Thanks for sharing,
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

Many recipes include a cream based soup to bring the dish together. I don't use it as much as I did when I had a houseful of kids to feed but hubs still likes meatballs with cream of mushroom gravy, hash brown casserole made with cream of chicken soup and quick chicken pot pie with cream of celery soup on occasion. What to do if you run out of these handy cans of soup? Make your own soup base to keep on hand!

Homemade Cream Soup Base

2 cups powdered milk
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix well and store in an airtight container.
To use, mix 1/3 cup of the base to 1-1/4 cups of cold water. Mix well, cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.

For Mushroom: add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
For Chicken: add 1/2 cup finely diced chicken
For Celery: add 1/2 cup minced celery

Dehydrated or freeze dried products would work perfectly in this as well - all can be purchased from Emergency Essentials or your preferred LT food company.

The main reason to keep a binder or notebook is to have handy tips, recipes and guidance to use what you have on hand to create hearty, nutritious food for your group's survival.

Bon Appétit!
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm

A yummy, filling breakfast is the best way to start a day - especially with a lot of homestead chores to do. This recipe has been used for camping, feeding college kids and keeping on the homestead. We keep if refrigerated in the warmer months.

Buttermilk Pancake Mix

2 cups dry buttermilk powder
8 cups flour - I use half all purpose unbleached and half whole wheat
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together & pour into an airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place. Keeps for 6 months.

Recipe:
1-1/2 cups pancake mix
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
1 cup water
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Cook on a hot griddle or fry pan over medium high heat. Makes 10 - 4 inch pancakes

Yummy additions include fresh blueberries, chocolate chips, diced banana, pecans or anything else you can think of!

I like that this can be made with LTS ingredients, doesn't have a lot of sugar and best of all, they really taste great!
Hope your family enjoys them as much as we do!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

Do you enjoy salads and marinating meats with Italian dressing? The bottle from the store is certainly convenient, but in an effort to go more natural in our eating, I wanted to make my own salad dressings. Here is one of our favorites that we have the ingredients on hand all the time in our pantry.

Homemade Italian Dressing

1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp mustard, prepared yellow
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried minced garlic

Mix all ingredients in a jar, shake well & chill.

This is a flexible recipe- use any flavor vinegar or mustard. I use Italian seasoning in place of oregano and use half the sugar.
I recommend the dried minced garlic instead of powder - it gives a much better flavor. I bought a large bottle at SAMs club.

Does your family have a homemade dressing recipe you'd like to share? Would like to see what others are doing.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Do you prefer a dry Italian dressing mix that you can use as a seasoning or mix up a batch of salad dressing when needed? This sure beats the little packets from the store! Cheaper, healthier and easy to make with pantry ingredients.

Italian Dressing Mix

1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp dried celery flakes

To make salad dressing:
Mix 2 Tbsp dry mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tsp water and 1/2 cup olive oil.

I have substituted celery seed for the flakes but used less. Celery salt could be subbed for the salt and flakes.

Hope you find this useful,

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Since it's getting colder outside, I thought I'd share a bean recipe. I usually make a large batch and package in 2 cup containers for the freezer.

Crockpot Pinto Beans

1 lb. dried pinto beans
1 onion, chopped

Sort thru dried beans, removing any defective beans or debris. Rinse thoroughly.
Place in a small bowl or pot and cover with at least an inch of water. Allow to soak overnight.
The next day, rinse and place beans in a crockpot. Add chopped onion and enough water to cover by an inch.
Cook 8-10 hours on low. Mash slightly and season with garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

This is a super easy recipe and super tasty. Remember to keep/stock your preferred spices for your meals. It makes a world of difference.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Today I am sharing some basic vinaigrette recipes to offer variety for salads and marinades.
As a rule of thumb, a vinaigrette is 60% oil, 30% acid and 10% other flavors, making your options limitless and flexible to what you have on hand. I have taken liberties with many flavors so feel free to use what you like.
Salads encompass more than just greens. Use a variety of fresh vegetables, pasta or potatoes. I've even read of rice salad but have yet to try one.

French
1 minced garlic clove OR 1 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1-1/2 Tbsp red wine, white wine OR champagne vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper

Asian
1 minced garlic clove
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Salt & pepper

Greek
1 minced garlic clove
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper

I usually start this in the bowl I'm using for the salad or marinating. Starting with everything but the oil. Then whisk while drizzling in the oil to emulsify. Salt and pepper to taste.
A variation for the French is to add finely chopped green olives.
A variation for the Asian is to add a little ginger powder.

I stock a variety of prepared mustards and vinegars. These are often found on clearance.

Thanks for stopping by,
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes