• Advertisement

Soap

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Soap

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am

oldasrocks wrote:NEVER NEVER NEVER try using pool shock to sterilize drinking water unless you want to wake up dead.

Never try it unless you're sure what you're doing. :smartass:

Make sure it's Calcium Hypochlorite with nothing else other than inert ingredients (no algicides or fungicides!) Then mix it to create regular bleach solution. Only then do you use the bleach to disinfect your suspect water.

I didn't want to rehash the discussions that are already on this board about this topic. Just search on pool shock and also search on calcium hypochlorite.

Personally I have plenty of Berkey black filters to last me for years of modest consumption, and the pool shock will just be to make bleach for sanitizing solution for medical situations. I don't expect to use it for water purification unless we get blasted back to the stone age, but it's good to have the gear and the knowledge just in case....
dmwalsh568

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 am

good topic and most all has been covered....

Just thought I'd add, if you don't have a brush.....

Go 1 min. into the video here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvG9goEGn0

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:NEVER NEVER NEVER try using pool shock to sterilize drinking water unless you want to wake up dead.

Never try it unless you're sure what you're doing. :smartass:

Make sure it's Calcium Hypochlorite with nothing else other than inert ingredients (no algicides or fungicides!) Then mix it to create regular bleach solution. Only then do you use the bleach to disinfect your suspect water.

I didn't want to rehash the discussions that are already on this board about this topic. Just search on pool shock and also search on calcium hypochlorite.

Personally I have plenty of Berkey black filters to last me for years of modest consumption, and the pool shock will just be to make bleach for sanitizing solution for medical situations. I don't expect to use it for water purification unless we get blasted back to the stone age, but it's good to have the gear and the knowledge just in case....

I took OAR posting to mean - don't use pool shock directly to disinfect potable water - make your bleach concentrate and treat the water from there ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness