• Advertisement

How Will You Cope In a Long Term SHTF

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

How Will You Cope In a Long Term SHTF

Postby Cadit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Guys: Hope all are well and kicking dirt in Joe Dummer's face. Was thinking about what I would do to make my shoes last longer or how I would replace them when they wear out. As well as other items that are no longer made or you can't just run down to the store and by it.

Do you do leather work and can you make shoes? I know that Blacksmithing could make or repair items, but how about Clothing and hats and other things. Would anyone be making cloth? I guess there would be a run on the locale Library. LOL

Please share your thoughts and ideas on how you would replace your worn out items.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: How Will You Cope In a Long Term SHTF

Postby rickdun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 am

My wife and I went to Goodwill several years ago and bought summer/winter clothing to include shorts, shirts, blue jeans, jackets, windbreakers, sneakers/shoes, etc.. All the items were washed again at home and placed in those space savers, air was sucked out and then were put in the loft in the garage.

We did buy new under garments, socks, etc. and put them with the Goodwill cloths.

I figure we wouldn't have to buy cloths for at least 10 years.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I have enough quality boots and clothes properly stored to last longer than me. I do feel this is grossly overlooked, as most clothes and shoes will not hold up for long. Unless you are already into the outdoors, you will be in rags in a few months. Sewing and leather craft would be valuable skills, but where are you going to find the materials?

I have tried tanning and weaving and pray I never have to depend on either. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm

I have plenty of clothes, including extra in my vehicle. I also store one size down, assuming I'd be dropping some weight in a SHTF situation.

Leather repair? I've done some leather working in the past. I've got a large rolled up piece of 12oz leather, smaller pieces of lighter weight leather and laces, two piece rivets, buckles, waxed thread, sinew thread, etc. For tools I've got leather punches and canvas/leather needles, plus a bunch of multi-use tools like knives, ball pein hammers, a small anvil, and the like. I also have several types of glue. For footwear repair though, and lacking material I'd probably resole with cut tire treads, vehicle floor mats, etc. I do have a common foot size though, so I can't imagine not being able to find a pair through trade.

Sewing? Less skilled there but I do have needles and thread. Been awhile since I've sewn anything but I could with access to the fabric. Buttons can be made if need be, zippers not so much, but there are other manners of clasps like pinning, fabric ties, or pegs with loops. Patching with remnants of other clothes should get me through my lifetime.

Tanning? It's an area I'm currently looking to expand my knowledge on. I know a bit of what's involved from attending some demos and some reference material. Looking to get a draw knife for the skin cleaning soon. In a long term scenario some of the modern chemicals would have to be substituted with brain tanning.

Weaving/Knitting/Looming/Spinning? No thanks. I won't be making the time and will make myself useful in other areas.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby anita » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:33 pm

I buy several pairs of tennis shoes at a time, and keep a new pair of hiking/work boots.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby JoyDog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Bring it on! I am getting tired of the snow flakes!
JoyDog

Postby kenjabroni » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 pm

I cant remember where I saw this (movie or some survival show or whatnot) but the rubber that flies off of tires on the road could be cut down and used as soles for shoes. I dont know if you would attach them with glue or tape or what, but I did see that as a possibility. I guess I need to pull over one day and procure me some of the said rubber and use my heavy duty shears/scissors on them and just see how viable it would be. It would probably work a lot better on a boot than a tennis shoe but it would beat walking barefoot here with all the cactus.

If something were to happen I do not have near enough clothes. I like ricks idea of getting extra at goodwill and storing it away. I also like the idea of having some clothes in a smaller size. I do have a decent amount of shoes/boots so I do think that I would be okay there. Guess id be running around in good boots and a loin cloth :rofl:

Very good thing to bring up and think about
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm

End of season clearances are a great place to find deals on extra clothing and shoes as well as yard sales but one area often not thought of is clothes left behind by folks that don't make it. Kind of morbid but a true resource. Not saying to take it off a dead person but left behind in houses, cars, suitcases, etc.

We have bought extra shoes, boots, jackets, underwear and socks. Also have clothing in smaller sizes. I sew enough to be able to maintain what we have to include patches, extra buttons, thread and needles.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

It seems this thread is more about shoes and clothing. In those areas I'll be fine since I hate to clothes shop!! K-mart went out of business a year or so ago in my area and I bought hubby 4 pairs of steel toes boots for about $15 each and I bought 5 pairs of sneakers for less than $10 a pair. I also snagged some clothes at a deep discount. Many of the clothes that I rarely wear anymore, I usually just put in totes and store since clothes don't sell well on garage sales. I do keep the shoes and boots in a cool and dry place since the glue and rubber can break down if stored in a hot dry place. The clothes (mostly) all fit, I just weed out those I tend to not wear anymore.....so those clothes cost me nothing. I have totes of old clothes for every member of my family. If they ever need to wear them again, they'll get a blast from the past! :floppytongue:

As far as how I'll cope in a long term SHTF......probably not that well. I'm not looking forward to it! I like my life the way it is. However, I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
angie_nrs

Postby IceFire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am

Not only do I have enough clothing and shoes to last quite a while, but I know how to make clothing, and quilts, as well; and have plenty of fabric, thread, needles (as well as a treadle sewing machine.) As for shoes, I DO know how to make moccasins, and have leather to work with. Someone here locally is selling a loom (for weaving fabric) for a DEEPLY discounted price...might check into getting it) and there are a LOT of people in the area who spin and weave, so getting fabrics would be doable.

For heat and cooking, we have wood burning stoves, and LOTS of wood to fuel them. Speaking of cooking, have enough food stored to last a couple of years, and plenty of seeds for the garden, and chickens and goats for eggs, meat, and milk. We also plan on adding cattle and swine...just hasn't happened quite yet.

As for sanitation, we are on a septic system, and have enough TP stored for at LEAST a couple of years (and that is WITHOUT rationing it. SHTF, and you better believe I will be limiting peoples' TP use. After that, we'll be using "personal cloth wipes" that will get washed (have a washtub and scrub board, make my own laundry soap, and enough supplies to make laundry detergent for YEARS.) Also know how to make regular soap, and the supplies to do so.

Water is supplied by a private well (which we are going to convert to a solar pump, so water is taken care of.) We also have a bunch of 50-55 gallon barrels (currently filled) for rainwater harvesting. Barring that, we have friends nearby who already are entirely off-grid, including their well, and we've already discussed barter arrangements (water for wood, produce, or eggs, etc.)

For lighting, have plenty of oil/kerosene lamps and lanterns, lamp oil, candles, and the means to make more candles.

For entertainment, there are books (LOTS of books!) and musical instruments.

Transportation (as well as plowing, etc.) can be covered by the horses, and even the goats can pull a cart.

Defense is also covered, and arrangements have been made with another family to augment the available personnel.

First aid/veterinary supplies are also covered, as well as herbal medicine, and personnel to use them.

We've managed to gather a "core group" with a variety of skills and supplies to not just survive, but thrive. Think we'll do OK.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 am

kenjabroni wrote:I cant remember where I saw this (movie or some survival show or whatnot) but the rubber that flies off of tires on the road could be cut down and used as soles for shoes. I dont know if you would attach them with glue or tape or what, but I did see that as a possibility. I guess I need to pull over one day and procure me some of the said rubber and use my heavy duty shears/scissors on them and just see how viable it would be. It would probably work a lot better on a boot than a tennis shoe but it would beat walking barefoot here with all the cactus.

Have you ever tried to cut up a tire? I've cut a few off of rims so I could use the rims to make stands for grinders and such, it is not as easy as it sounds. Add to this the metal strands in the rubber and I do not think it would make that great of a shoe sole. Granted most of my experience is with semi truck tires (they have huge rims that are way stable for using as a base) but there has to be a better material for soles. If your going to do this you better get a band saw and a few extra blades.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 am

Options on cutting up tires are:
1) Use an angle grinder with a cutoff disc.
2) Use just the side wall of a larger tire (no steel in the side wall)
3) Avoid the newer kind with the reinforcing steel cables and use really old tires that haven't already been recycled.

Quicker and easier to work with options could be vehicle floor mats, home front door mats, or heavier floor mats used on concrete floors.
NJMike

Postby eochief66 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 am

Viet Nam vets know that old tires make great sandals. The Vietnamese made sandals from tires and I believe they lasted a very long time! I do not see why they would not make good soles on boots. The problem would be how to adhere them to the boots.
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am

eochief66 wrote:Viet Nam vets know that old tires make great sandals. The Vietnamese made sandals from tires and I believe they lasted a very long time! I do not see why they would not make good soles on boots. The problem would be how to adhere them to the boots.

those were different times and different made tires - you'd play holy hell cutting a steel belted radial in a non-power SHTF situation ...

if you want to prep for "sole making" - go to your farm supply store and buy a few feet of baler belting - they sell it by the foot and in various widths - it'll be more durable, eazier to work with and has dozens of uses including protective clothing and DIY repairs ...

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g ... cover.html
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 am

I still have a pair of those sandals made from a tire. Straps were made from cut pieces of inner tube pushed through a knife cut in the tire. Very durable and resourceful. Rubber horse stall mats may work for making shoes, more flexible material but home made sandals are rough on the feet if you live in hill country and they tend to flop around causing blisters. That's why its best to have a few extra pair of heavy duty work boots in your storage bin. Regular tennis/running shoes won't hold up very long and they may be pulled off your feet in sticky mud or when making a river crossing. Fashion will be the first thing to disappear after the bad thing happens. Durability and comfortable foot gear will become the new trend.
Fullmoon

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.