• Advertisement

How Will You Cope In a Long Term SHTF

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Re: How Will You Cope In a Long Term SHTF

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

I stock a lot of sewing supplies, including a good selection of canvas/upholstery needles.

Also keep a good selection of leather supplies waxed thread, Chicago screws and tools. Keep a good stock of various types of leather. I got really lucky at an auction a few back and was able to put a lot of supples away related to leather.

Actually have a book on shoe repair circa 1930's.
3ADScout

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm

3ADScout wrote:I stock a lot of sewing supplies, including a good selection of canvas/upholstery needles.

Also keep a good selection of leather supplies waxed thread, Chicago screws and tools. Keep a good stock of various types of leather. I got really lucky at an auction a few back and was able to put a lot of supples away related to leather.

Actually have a book on shoe repair circa 1930's.

in case you want to expand the footwear library ....

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1385

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1343
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby handyman777 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 am

tire tread would be the way to go.
they can be cut with snips (not scissors) i've done it before, not easy.
the holes for the threading can be put in with a hand drill ((not electric) "SHTF") which we all should have one by now, or hammer and nail.
learn how to tan an animal hide and use that for the upper part of the shoe or (and) make moccasins.
i don't think i will have to worry about that for awhile, "meijer's" buy one pair of shoe's get the second pair for a dollar. :)
if things really got that bad, i'm sure a large part of the population won't be needing there shoes any more.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby hancockcounty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 pm

My thoughts on the original question-

Depends on type of SHTF scenario. If we suffer a collapse of the dollar there will still be some, though probably very little and it will be BAD, type of economy if you could call it that...maybe...so you could probably buy shoes. If we get hit with an EMP then for the forseeable future there would be NO electricity and no more gas or oil or shipments of supplies other than some food that might get sent to the big coastal cities. But how would you get shoes or other supplies...well if those who wrote the EMP commission are correct then after the first 6-12 months 90 percent of the population would be dead due to starvation and looting/killing. So if you make it to that point it is because you have thought ahead and stock piled food and bullets and defended yourself well. (or some other variable like you were lucky to be in the right small town or somehow you hibernated and woke up to find yourself in the apocalypse!) If you make it to that point there will be approx 270million extra pairs of shoes kicking around from the dead people. What I am getting at here is the most important things you can have are food/water, and guns/bullets. And from there building off from that like some animals to raise and nightvision and BP vest/tactical battle belt ect....but always back to having a better stockpile of food and water and seeds ect. So yeah, with prepping there are a lot of "cool" things to buy that can be game changers like the best ghuillie suit ect. and you should buy these things, but what is more important is the essentials and having the essentials SOLID.
Good defensible location away from large cities.
Heat/cooking ability
Ability to grow your own food
1-3 years food/seed suppliy
Water that you can hand pump ect.
And guns/ammo to spare.

Someone can take that as far as they want. How many guns do you need without proper ammo? If you have 500,000 rounds of 5.56 ammo do you have 100 spare barrels for your rifle? Did you build up your round count but only have a few cans of beans and a bag of rice? Seeds are cheap...do you have more than one years worth so that you can learn to save seeds or trade ect. Do you have a LOT of jars to can the gardens harvest with spare lids for the next several years? Do you even know if your soil in your garden plot is good? Are you in the north? If so do you have a ridicules supply of chains and fuel/oil for your chain saw? Do you know how to procure fire wood with it? Do you have a bug out vehicle that will run post EMP? If so, did you remember to buy oil filters? More importantly Fuel filters? There is a lot of variables here. How will you cope in a long term SHTF scenario? If you are like me then most people that you meet in society today have a head in the sand approach to life. It is hard to prep and stick with it and continue this road that we here on this forum are on. Stick with it! Think 6 months ahead. Then thing 3-5 years ahead. If you can solve the problem by stocking up on gear and items do it and do it asap. Prep for when and not for if. Get your food stores complete! Get some tactical training. If you get sluggish in your preps or you are broke there is still things you can do. You can always target acquisition without rounds and do mag changes. Think outside the box. We are after all... preppers!
But get some really good quality boots...maybe a few different pair.
hancockcounty

Previous

Return to A.N.T.S.