• Advertisement

Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Post general topics here

Re: Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Ya...figured as much that you'd already have that all worked out as from what I understand in my limited knowledge there that charter is really a way of everyday life out there....

Hmmmm....Tuff decisions. :? :? :?

Thinking outside the box here(You most likely have already as well)....

Do you have a specific wholesaler you've worked with on the furs?.....Long relationship? Trust established etc.???

Say you do $10,000 per season with him/her....Propose an exclusive arrangement with guaranteed delivery of supply of furs for 5 years(Or whatever)...exclusive rights so to speak.

In exchange for exclusivity at just under market value he/she purchases this exclusivity arrangement from you for X,Y,Z(cost of the plane or whereabouts).

You explain that the purchase of the rights will provide you with the plane, allowing you faster delivery, opening more trap line routes providing them with greater inventories for greater profits, possible shipping delivery for them to her/his purchasers etc at a discounted rate in your plane,...(Whatever here, you know your local logistics better than me and you can tell what I'm getting at in general)....

Now you got the plane, saved the cost and use it to get the licensing needed, etc....Maybe even offer your services with said plane in non-trapping seasons for another income stream and now are able to fly wife out at cost of fuel only....????....Just thinking out loud here....

Big swing of lifestyle you might not be willing to entertain, but like I said....Outside the box thinking...lol.

I'm sure you'll figure out whats best for you Permafrost....My best wishes to you and your wife on a solution for you guys.

~D
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby sageprice » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Climate change is not a fast SHTF event. Even known historical climate shifts take several decades. But if you must prep for this then remember; Location, Location, Location. Move away from flood plains and Deltas. Garden wisely, keyhole gardens and dry gardening' Rain harvest and gray water control.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I used to think it was all a hoax, but now I am not so sure. We just experienced the second nicest summer in a row ever (only two days over a hundred and never more than 10 days without rain), but it is still like summer (high was 87 November 2nd)!

Tomatoes are still blooming when I should be putting in a winter crop! If it all sounds like paradise, I am sure the biting insects and tropical diseases agree! Can't wait until I have anacondas to keep my gators company!

I can't see any way to Prep for something like this, as it may take years before we know if this is a new normal or something else! Only in the last decade did I ever have to water my gardens and now I don't again, but then we used to see snow and frost every winter for at least a day or two. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 am

I think if we were all honest with ourselves and took out any political connotations about accepting the idea of climate change we could probably agree that the weather is at best "odd". Accepting the idea of climate change does NOT necessarily mean that you accept a particular theory of "causation".

I was asked to do a lecture on Climate change for a local environmental group, most of the people attending subscribed to the man made causation theory. I talked about logic in my lecture and that for something to be true the reverse would also have to be true. So I asked if the earth was cooling how many would be calling for an increase in "green house" emissions? Nobody raised their hands. To solve any problem we first must be honest with ourselves and cast away any preconceived assumptions and political agendas.

People will also claim to be knowledgable about climate change but either can't tell you what the number one green house gas is or they get it wrong. For when you know that it is water vapor it sounds silly to be against water or rain right? Many want to say it is CO from international combustion engines is the cause but since water vapor is the number one gas we could argue that Humans are!! Look up how much water vapor humans exhale and times that bythe number of people on earth, which is a far higher number of people before the Industrial Revolution. if water vapor is the number one gas why no push to decrease it? In fact why no real mention of it? Again I don't claim to know what is causing climate change but I'm at least honest enough to realize that something IS changing.

How does the change regardless of cause impact us? As preppers that is what we should be asking ourselves. Sage price was dead on about staying out of flood plains and deltas. I would add coasts and deserts too. With increased water vapor will come increased rains at least in some areas. The other areas will be drier. The DOD also list Climate change as a military threat. People make fun of that but when you consider how many wars through out history have been fought for food and water it makes sense since we (the USA) are the bread basket to the world. Anyone remember the opening to Red Dawn (original)? The premise for the war starting was a crop failure in the Soviet Union. Sometimes Life imitates fiction.

Some of the things I have done in anticipation of worsening climate change is planting fruit trees that are for colder regions. Being able to produce ones own food in the future I believe will be required for survival. We can get all wrapped up around the axle of causation or we can can be smart and recognize the true issue and prepare.
3ADScout

Postby Dirk Williams » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 am

Man has not been a very good earth manager. It's unrealistic to not recognize that we pump way to much pollution into the ecosystem, to not have an effect. Each and every day is a gift from God.

When mother natures had enough , she WILL, fix what the problem is.

As for perms, problem. Perm, I'm not currant, my recollection is that you can purchase a plane, and fly it unlicensed, alone. Or build and experimental plane, again their are a few loop holes in the FAAs, authority. Insurance may be difficult, I'm not up.

At our small airport their are as many experimental aircraft on he ramp, as faa certified birds.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Permafrost » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 am

I have no idea if it is the "new normal" or only going to get worse. I recently have been talking to older trappers in my area, and some of them were nice enough to pull out their old journals. Most trappers keep a log of both travel conditions and species caught, some go back quite far. There are a few old timers (70 to 80 years old) who have complete logs and one guy who still has the logs from the original trapper who he purchased the line from, that log goes back to the 1920's here in the interior. The overall consensus was that in the last 20 to 30 years river ice is forming much later and it is pushing out the start of trapping, but only one guy kept a log of temps for all the years. Granted this is not "scientific" data, it is just people keeping a log of what effects their life here. Most of these logs (especially the really old ones) only mention ice data as it relates to travel and they are mostly kept for harvest numbers so that individuals can manage their trap lines & prevent over trapping in areas with no regulation. A lot of the older trappers are aging out so they do not really have a solution for transportation problems, and most of the younger guys are lamenting the loss of income but are not that gung ho to find a solution since most of them do not rely only on furs for income. A couple of guys are thinking of building small bridges on their trap lines this winter but that is mostly for creek crossings, not crossing major rivers. I ran into one guy who bought a used bulldozer 5 years ago so he could clear a runway and then bring it back to town to sell it, he got it out there & cleared a runway but has not had enough ice thickness to bring it back to town to sell it so he can buy a airplane. That guy was a wake up call for me, because it was kind of my plan, sell one of the boats & the track rig & maybe a snowmachine, buy a dozer to clear a strip, and sell/trade it when done for a airplane. The only up side of this whole situation is that I get to see my wife more because I am in town & can't get out.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby msdeltamom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 pm

How wonderful that the older trappers kept those journals. I sure don't have any suggestions, but I hope you can find a way to make things work for you.
msdeltamom

Postby daaswampman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Those journals are priceless and better than most scientific mumbo-jumbo guessing! Our local museum has several old farmers logs that go back into the 1880's. I spent many hours deciphering them and believe this is more than just another cycle!

A big bonus was their comments on critter problems. While far from a complete list, the critters they had the most problems with are now all but gone. Nor will the scientific community accept historical or personal accounts.

What I find most humerus is the emphasis on global warming! While it may be a big deal, pollution and resource depletion are more immediate problems. The silver lining is most of us will already be dead long before the flooding! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 am

At least the issue is being validated by living breathing people that see what is happening
first hand. The what and why not sure about that, but there is climate change, global
warming, or whatever you call it. It's not some liberal conspiracy afterall.

But sure not happy to see it for sure, going to totally change many of our lives and likely
won't be for the better.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Permafrost » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 am

daaswampman wrote:What I find most humerus is the emphasis on global warming! While it may be a big deal, pollution and resource depletion are more immediate problems. The silver lining is most of us will already be dead long before the flooding! Swamp

Pollution is troubling on many levels in the cities, but mostly for the lack of usable water. Within 30 miles of Fairbanks there have been at least 3 separate instances that I know of where wells were contaminated. Granted I'm not in town that much so there might actually be more. Flint Hills Refinery in North Pole leaked sulfolane and it can not be cleaned out of the water, Eielson AFB leaked something toxic and many in Moose Creek can no longer use their wells, and Fairbanks FD leaked something at their fire training facility that also contaminated wells. The "answer" to all of these was to try to put people on city water instead of having wells, it is still in litigation on all accounts as far as I know.

With that said, I could care less. It sucks for those effected but they are a small fraction of the population. On some level I hope they are made whole or their properties are bought from them, but they live in town and those are the risks of living in a population center. The warming effects everyone who needs to travel in the arctic or eat from its bounty. From caribou herds to bear hibernation to salmon runs, the warming is effecting food resources because it disrupts natural patterns. It is a problem that has a far grander scale than just a little pollution in the water.

Some things a man can outrun, and some things he can't. You can always move out of the city and get away from the bad air and contaminated water and toxic food. But what do you do when the problem spreads far beyond the population centers, how do you outrun the weather? I have no idea how to plan for the next few decades, but something will work out somehow.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm

It is a matter of numbers. All of Alaska would not make the population of a (small) urban area in the lower 48. Nor is pollution limited to urban environments. Nor is there anything we can actually do about it. Nor are 300 million people able to leave urban areas for some pristine wilderness.

It took many decades to make this mess! If we stopped all pollution today, nothing will recover within our lifetimes. I can't do a damn thing about what they do upriver or in Baton Rouge, just like you can't change what they do in China or the Pacific!

I do not wish anyone ill, but the rural or wilderness lifestyle is dying and there is nothing we can do about it. Hunting, trapping, fishing, logging, grazing, farming, and all the rest, will be gone within a generation or completely regulated to those who can afford it. Power and decisions are made where the money is and they don't like us or our ways. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Permafrost » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 am

daaswampman wrote:I do not wish anyone ill, but the rural or wilderness lifestyle is dying and there is nothing we can do about it. Hunting, trapping, fishing, logging, grazing, farming, and all the rest, will be gone within a generation or completely regulated to those who can afford it. Power and decisions are made where the money is and they don't like us or our ways. Swamp

Unfortunately I fear you may be right. Regulation will probably never happen here because there is just to much land to keep tabs on people, but the economics are changing. It used to be that a guy could trap in the winter and live comfortably on the $10,000 or $15,000 he made throughout the year, now it is a struggle to make ends meet because access to trap lines is blocked during the beginning of the season. People will always be able to feed themselves but the comfort items (like toilet paper and salt and lamp oil) keep going up in price. More and more I see people having to take jobs in the cities during the summer to help subsidize their lives in the wilderness, and then they have no veggies from their gardens or fish from their rivers so they need to work even more. It becomes a vicious circle. For those that are established it is not that hard to hang on, or for those who inherit trap lines and fish wheels. For those starting out it probably will become unrealistic in another few generations, between buying traps and tools to build a cabin it becomes a moderate financial undertaking. There were a few guys who showed up last year at the trappers association meetings, they came here with nothing but a few hundred bucks and the clothes on their backs. They were able to run/lease older trapper's lines for a percentage, they didn't do that well but they made it through the winter without starving or loosing toes. Not exactly a lot of people wanting to choose this life either.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 am

When I had Astronomy, my favorite class in college, one of the things I learned is that gravity from stars that we look up at in the night sky effects the earth. Keep that in mind.

I've always known that the junk the world leftist luciferians have been pushing was fake. Why???? OK Riddle me this.

How many people even know some of the Facts that they aren't telling you like every planet in out solar system is going through the same events including the sun. Yes the sun and the sun controls the polar shifts, weather and much more on every planet in our solar system. At least the planets up to Pluto (planet, not a planet. Not the point). So this is a solar event. Now what you may ask is causing it. Well it's in our history. Same thing that caused other major global events in our planets history. Nibiru or also known as planet X. I have known about planet X or Nibru for decades. The science behind it was strong and I have always hoped and played it was wrong. Nibiru is somewhere around the asteroid belt and it's gravity is effecting the Sun which is effecting all of our planets.

Lat year during the election which dominated all of the media both on TV and the internet, NASA came out and admitted knowing about it and showed pictures. Then they lost it. Yeah Right!. They claimed they found it maybe a couple of years ago but they forgot to take the timestamp date off the pic which I believe was 1998. However, whistle blowers have come forward and said they confirmed it and had pics since 1980. No surprise there.

OK so why the lies??? Easy, the NWO has been stealing the money to pocket it for their planned recovery. They have built massive underground bunkers for themselves and their elites complete with military hardware such as tanks, jets and other things. Yes they also plan to have armies under their control. The ones that survive they plan to make their slaves. They don't want there to be too many which is why the NWO admits of wanting to take out about 2/3's to 3/4 of the population so that they can enslave the rest.

So this is also the Real Russia hate by the leftists. Russia's President Putin has rejected this sick plan from the left. Russia had build underground bunkers for 100% of their people. I don't think that any other nation has done that. Certainly none under the NWO. Now be you think this is all hard to believe, do your research and don't be political about it. There are people on the right such as the Bush's (both), which I voted for not knowing they were apart if them, McCain, McConnell and the list goes on. It has been said that about 85% of the serving Dems and 30% of the Republicans are in the know and on board. Why the difference in numbers? Easy! The Dems have run the country since WWII other then one GW Bush term and now. So don't get political about this. It's all of us and them. The truth is, this is all about religion believe it or not. There is way more to this but this is already too much for some people to swallow. I want people to think and research. This is the truth.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby danthman114 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

well, I have sun block. I live in az and its the same every year. hot in the summer and cool to cold in the winter... I don't believe the whole global warming thing.
danthman114

Previous

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather