• Advertisement

Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Post general topics here

Re: Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Postby tamtbell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I am in agreement with permafrost in the fact that I too live in Interior Alaska. Yes our weather is getting warmer and more wacky. Something that I have a love hate relationship with (if curious look up the burn ban in Interior Alaska due to particulates in the air). I hate it because this week we are expecting highs in the 20s and 30s. I'm only happy about it because it most likely will lift the burn ban that prohibits us from using solid fuels for heating our homes.
The roads are expected to be super slick this week. Thats very odd for us this time of year.
Now that all being said, I'm a strong believer that climate change happens not because of man but because it's a natural cycle. Sorry, but not sorry. That's just my belief. Do us humans need to be better about taking care of the planet, sure! But I do not believe humans are completely causing this.
Now, sadly, I have not gotten to the point Permafrost has. I do live in North Pole so I'm much more urban than he is. I drive into the military post every day for work. The climate changing affects me in the fact that I worry about the things I have outside in my cooler (aka outside freezer) that I would hate to think about thawing out.
I don't have a boat, just two 4 wheel drive vehicles and a camper. We don't even have a 4 wheeler or snowmachine yet. Hoping for that soon, along with a kayak for me so I can kayak down the slough.
I have been wanting to make a root cellar but it's going to take a lot of planning, along with a greenhouse so I can finally grow more tomatoes again. I have a friend that traps with her kids, I'm jealous of her, I haven't started doing that yet, mostly because I'm at work when she's doing it. For now I have more than enough rabbit furs to keep me practicing on my tanning.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby airborne-fatty » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

The southwest is doomed. Don't come looking to the "liberal" North for relief when things turn downright inhospitable in your neck of the woods. Keep in mind, Liberal progressive doesn't mean unarmed.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Ben Franklin

P!
airborne-fatty
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby woodchipper518 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm

I assessed the most likely threats and global warming didn't really measure up to the threat levels of others. It is far above zombie apocalypse. If the polar regions melt I'm still above the flooding suspected. I'll be closer to the coast which would be nice.

The problem with global warning is the scientists seem to flaunt the time honored concepts of reliability and validity. I don't deny the probability of global warming since we have multiple examples of it in Earth history. I have two masters so I can discern research more than the average person and I actually know what hyperbole is. Follow the funding to the origin and you find much research is backed by close minded partisan supporters.

Aside from that diatribe....I don't have time to worry about global warming.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby IceFire » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 pm

airborne-fatty wrote:The southwest is doomed. Don't come looking to the "liberal" North for relief when things turn downright inhospitable in your neck of the woods. Keep in mind, Liberal progressive doesn't mean unarmed.

Actually, the Southwest is NOT doomed. We are doing just fine, thank you! Granted, in SOME (high population) areas, there will be more of an issue--what the main problem is, is that masses of people have moved into areas where drought conditions are actually the NORM, and then expect to have their green lawns and swimming pools, and are overusing the water that they are getting (stealing) from other areas and states, as well as mismanaging their other natural resources. (Oh, we CAN'T cut any trees, even if the ARE dead, and even if they result in a buildup of fuel for the next big fire.) The REST of us are living within our water means, on our LOCAL water supplies, and managing our other natural resources. We will NOT be looking ANYHERE for relief. Our neck of the woods is quite hospitable, at least for us, thank you very much.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby pilgrimtr » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:44 am

it's the sun, stupid it gets hot and it get cold. always has always will. pilgrim
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:23 am

pilgrimtr wrote:it's the sun, stupid it gets hot and it get cold. always has always will. pilgrim

I used to be like this. I used to think it was all propaganda.

It is winter solstice today and it was above zero, it has only got below zero a few days all winter. All last week it was hovering right around freezing. This is not normal, it has been getting worse every year. There is not enough river ice to travel on, and trappers & subsistence hunters are hurting because they can not get out. Permafrost under peoples homes is getting thinner or melting completely, and peoples homes are structurally failing because the soil is liquefying in the summer. This will end our way of life here if a solution is not found.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:15 pm

pilgrimtr wrote:it's the sun, stupid it gets hot and it get cold. always has always will. pilgrim

There are many different types or stars and our sun goes through cycles. Something we are just beginning to understand. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Warmer area than most of you guys but I researched weather patterns before buying this property. Slightly dryer by 2050 so paid extra for drilling a super deep well a few years ago and have considered gravel within 30' of the house to protect against potential grass fires. Future home repairs will be using more fire resistant materials than the siding I have now.

Every area has it's challenges.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby theoutback » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:24 am

:clap:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:While "Global Warming" as it was proposed was a multi-billion dollar hoax designed to funnel money, Climate change is real.....

Not what some are trying to phrase as climate change to replace the failed models of "Global Warming". Those models have proven false even though they still use it for fear mongering now just calling it climate change.(Notice how the news never says "Global Warming" anymore?)

The REAL climate change is natural....We don't have anything to do with it.

Solar cycles, space weather, and magnetic polar changes are definitely having an impact.

Now permafrost has a valid question, it maybe was just a trigger for a few the way it was phrased....It's obvious he sees the change. HE's LIVING IT.

While we are observing these changes not only on our planet, but also on others in our system as well(Where's mans influence there?...lol :rolleyes: ), it doesn't mean you cant change your life to adjust to the changes we experience in weather here.

I've noticed the seasonal flux where I live since I've been here my whole life, but it does ebb and flow...long term? Anyone's guess.

Your way of living exactly in your area Frost may need some fine tuning...Buying a plane may be a solution that's great for 5 years and then become unnecessary again. Who knows?...That's a personal call.

All I can tell you for sure is we are in flux....Some areas are being effected more than others, but this is fact......We are continuously breaking more global cold records each year that heat records. Global Ice is at a record high.(recently of course..not going back to Ice Age obviously)

Now it's obvious its effecting you personally differently than me so all I could suggest is analyze and Prep accordingly how you see fit.

We have deserts that used to be oceans and oceans that used to be deserts....You, and me, we aren't going to control that. Only live in it.

:clap: .....Bingo!.......but some probably believe it has snowed already in December in all 50 states due to global warming! Not to mention Mexico. I wish this debate were not soooo political and people would actually sit down and study solar cycles, but I also wish we could be better stewards of the planet.

Driven, Ben mentioned this a while back... what drives vs what may have an effect are two different things. The sun drives climate, man may have an effect, especially if they fudge the numbers! ;) Thanks again for all your knowledge and thoughts on the matter!
theoutback

Postby woodchipper518 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I remember something about both Venus and Mars getting warmer which means the sun. I also studied how they measured heat on Earth and it has not been consistent over the decades and the equipment has gotten infinitely more accurate and sensitive over the decades. Placement of sensors have followed population centers moreso than weather patterns. The number of sensors is heavily weighted for North America and Europe and Asian....That's not proper scientific testing. So decade-over-decade comparisons are not valid nor reliable due to the changing scientific methods/equipment. Year-over-year testing is comparable but has lots of testing noise due to the mis-balance of testing equipment and lack of accounting for biases frompopulation density, industrial density and combustion-engine density. FYI....they didn't have any of this in 1880 when scientists first started recording temperatures. Follow the money is something I learned in school.....and Watergate.

The US and Europe has done more for the Earth than any other countries. But the true polluters are not doing their part. The technology for pollution abatement is much cheaper now than it was since the 1970s. If other countries implemented even old pollution controls, the Earth would benefit immensely. Let them catch up.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Permafrost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:02 pm

In reality I could care less if global warming is natural or man made, and I don't need some fancy scientific instruments to tell me what my eyes can plainly see. When permafrost that has been frozen since the last ice age is melting there is a problem. When ice does not form on the rivers until late December or early January, there is a problem. When I find Mammoth tusks sticking out of recently melted permafrost, it is not exactly a problem (that glass is half full mentality) but it is troubling. When houses and roads start to sink as the permafrost melts, it is most definitely a problem.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather