• Advertisement

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #8 (NOV & DEC 2017)

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #8 (NOV & DEC 2017)

Postby rickdun » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am

Here's a good article on NK. Watch the date of December 17th, the anniversary (death) of the little fat dude's father's death.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/12/ ... lions.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Counter EMP, NKorea Threat With Ballistic Missile Defense Readiness
http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/pu ... must_reads

by AMBASSADOR HENRY F. COOPER
December 8, 2017

In last Saturday's interview with Fox News host Bret Baier at the Reagan National Defense Forum, National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster said the threat of war with North Korea was "increasing every day" - and he emphasized the need for "significant new actions" to counter the actions of Kim Jong-un.

General McMaster warned that the prospects of a military showdown with Pyongyang are such that "we are in a race . . . to solve this problem - not just us, but the United States, our allies and partners." And he expressed hope that China could deny North Korea the fuel to launch an attack.

This sounds to me like a "triumph of hope over experience," especially since General McMaster's comments at the Reagan Library in Simi California came on the heels of North Korea's latest launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that knowledgeable experts assess to be capable of reaching any U.S. city.

In my opinion, General McMaster understated the immediacy of this threat . . . suggesting that Kim Jong Un's latest was only just another launch and "Whether it's a success or failure isn't as important as understanding that over the years, he's been learning from failures - improving and, thereby, increasing his threat to all of us."

General McMaster is correct, of course, that North Korea - like every nation that has developed ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons - has learned from failures as well as successes. And the North Koreans have been at it since the late 1990s. Their satellites launched in 2012 and 2016 regularly overfly the United States - and the rest of the world.

Thus, his suggestions seem to imply a lack of urgency. The Trump administration may be underestimating just how severe North Korea's already demonstrated capabilities could be.

Some influential "experts" apparently believe North Korea must still demonstrate an ability to integrate a nuclear weapon with a ballistic missile that can survive reentry forces as the nose dives back into the atmosphere on its path to a target city.

But what if North Korea is serious about reaching its announced "strategic goal" of executing an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack - a detonation of a nuclear weapon at high altitude? What test would they conduct to demonstrate that capability, which requires no reentry to the atmosphere?

The Foundation for Resilient Societies addressed this question in an important report released last week, "High Consequence Scenarios for North Korean Atmospheric Nuclear Tests." This report examines five scenarios, and all could have serious consequences. Consider the figure below that illustrates aspects of a high altitude burst near the U.S. Territory of Guam. North Korea has explicitly threatened Guam.

Given the demonstrated range capabilities of North Korean ballistic missiles, such an EMP attack scenario could be employed world wide - including anywhere above the United States. The two circles in the Guam scenario indicate "the line of sight" horizons from nuclear bursts at 40 and 150 kilometers altitude - the possible extents of debilitating EMPs.

The 150 kilometer altitude test scenario in the South Pacific would threaten not only the infrastructure on Guam, including key military infrastructure, but also vulnerable undersea cables upon which commerce in the entire Pacific region depends.

Alternatively, if North Korea detonated a nuclear device at 150 kilometers altitude above New York City, the line-of-sight circle would impact the entire Eastern Seaboard of the United States. EMP effects could shut down our electric power grid for many months, if not indefinitely.

So, it seems clear to me that the "fat is in the fire" already. President Trump does not have months to prepare to block such scenarios - not only test scenarios, but also direct EMP attacks on the United States.

I hope John Gizzi was correct in his Sept. 7, 2017 Newsmax report that President Trump has ordered that we shoot down North Korean ballistic missiles headed toward Guam, Hawaii and the United States.

Just a few days before, I had argued that our current ballistic missile defense (BMD) systems can successfully execute this mission if:
    1. We are prepared to employ fighter aircraft into harm's way to use existing Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) (to be replaced as soon as possible by interceptors fired from drones) to shoot down these missiles in their boost phase; and
    2. The crews of our Aegis Destroyers and Cruisers near North Korea are trained, prepared and authorized to shoot the missiles down while they are still in their ascent phase.

Also, if our forward sensor systems provide the needed cuing and tracking information, our ground based interceptors in Alaska can shoot down North Korean ICBMs coming over the North Polar regions and those in California can shoot down North Korean ICBMs coming over the South Polar regions.

While we certainly should improve our capabilities - especially by deploying space based ballistic missile defense systems as soon as possible, it is urgent that we assure our existing BMD systems and their crews are ready for a North Korean EMP attack at any time.

We have no time to waste.

Ambassador Henry F. Cooper is Chairman of High Frontier and a former Acquisition Executive for all U.S. ballistic missile defenses. He also served in several other senior USG acquisition and policy positions, including as President Reagan's Chief Negotiator at the Geneva Defense and Space Talks with the Soviet Union. He is currently focused on helping local, state and federal authorities protect against the natural and manmade EMP threat by building effective ballistic missile defenses and hardening the electric grid. Otherwise, loss of the electric grid would freeze America's "just in time" economy, leaving most Americans without means for survival.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 am

North Korea Says U.S. Declared War and Is Trying to Invade With Help From South and Japan

North Korea said Friday that President Donald Trump has effectively declared war on supreme leader Kim Jong Un’s government by gathering the U.S.’s Pacific allies to surround the Korean Peninsula and restrict trade.

The official Korean Central News Agency published an article lashing out at Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s recent suggestion that the U.S. had the “right to interdict maritime traffic transporting goods” in response to North Korea’s latest and most far-reaching intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launch late last month. The article’s author, named as Jong Hyon, claimed the U.S. planned to summon its South Korean and Japanese allies to block North Korean ships from traveling across the country’s southern and eastern seas, while the U.S. Navy stationed itself south of South Korea’s Jeju Island.

“The U.S. is trying to openly take the measure of sea blockade against the DPRK and strangle its economy in peacetime. This is part of its scheme to escalate political and economic blockade against the DPRK which has lasted for decades,” the outlet wrote, referring to the country by its official title—the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

“The moves for blockading the DPRK from the sea are tantamount to war acts,” it added.

The state-run outlet supported its claims by citing international agreements such as the 1933 London Convention for the Definition of Aggression, which included “Naval blockade of the coasts or ports of another State” and Article 3 of U.N. General Assembly Resolution 3314, which was adopted in 1974 and also included “The blockade of the ports or coasts of a State by the armed forces of another State” as a “definition of aggression.”

The U.S. pushed for a full naval blockade of North Korea in September during discussions to adopt U.N. Security Council Resolution 2375, which intensified already-strict international sanctions against the reclusive, authoritarian state over its continued development of nuclear weapons and ballistic-missile tests. The final text included a provision calling on the inspection of suspicious vessels that, if refused, could result in the ship “being designated for an asset freeze, denied port access, de-registered” and “other penalties.” The use of force, however, was omitted under Chinese and Russian pressure.

North Korea said the U.S.’s push for a naval blockade was “an act of invasion, an illegal act.”

Defying international calls for it to disarm, North Korea has argued its nuclear weapons and growing military power was necessary to deter a potential U.S. invasion. In 2011, Kim inherited the arsenal built under his father and grandfather before him, and managed to expand and modernize it rapidly. This year alone, the same in which President Donald Trump took office, the North Korean leader has overseen his country’s first ICBM launches and a powerful hydrogen bomb test.

The U.S. has routinely responded to these developments by staging massive joint military exercises with regional allies and threatening to take out North Korea’s military capabilities by force. While fellow permanent U.N. Security Council members China, Russia, France and the U.K. have backed sanctions against North Korea, they also have urged Trump to show restraint in wielding his military power so close to his nuclear-armed rival.

On Friday, the U.S. and South Korea concluded their five-day aerial exercises known as Vigilant Ace and described as the largest joint air drill between the two countries. As part of the training maneuvers, B-1B Lancer bombers and F-22 Raptor stealth fighters practiced striking North Korean targets Wednesday in simulated operations that were heavily condemned by Kim’s administration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea- ... 58284.html
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

China is preparing refugee camps for the NK's that cross the border when war breaks out:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-pre ... 81322.html
rickdun

Postby Mollypup » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:59 pm

rickdun wrote:China is preparing refugee camps for the NK's that cross the border when war breaks out:

Meanwhile here in American nothing is being done to prepare the citizens for EMP or nuclear attack or the impending global conflict.....

It also strikes me as very odd given the seriousness of the situation that nothing concerning NK or LFM has crossed my facebook feed while endless posts & memes about Trump, political topics, football players kneeling, BLM junk and lord knows what else floods it. :shakeno:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Mollypup wrote:
rickdun wrote:China is preparing refugee camps for the NK's that cross the border when war breaks out:

Meanwhile here in American nothing is being done to prepare the citizens for EMP or nuclear attack or the impending global conflict.....
I notice that, although they mention 5 shelters, they don't mention anything about how large those shelters are. Also, the "refugees" would have to be able to make the trek into China. Having seen China, most would not want to return home. So, my assessment is that these shelters are meant for "refugees" meaning N.K. government officials and high ranking army officers, so that they can flee.

It also strikes me as very odd given the seriousness of the situation that nothing concerning NK or LFM has crossed my facebook feed while endless posts & memes about Trump, political topics, football players kneeling, BLM junk and lord knows what else floods it. :shakeno:

Well, I just chalk that up to being facebook :rofl:

The only thing I have seen on LFM is that ICBM he launched, and a lot of speculative analysis about it. There are, of course rumors about the 17th (anniversary of his father's death) and that theory that he might launch while there was a U.N. guy in country.

His nuclear testing is out of commission for a little while,
and he is building that Nuclear Submarine, so I still expect
the next 12 months to be relatively quiet/safe.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Mollypup » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Oh I most certainly agree with you that those Chinese refugee shelters are not for the NK common man. They've already got a population problem & with living conditions in NK I don't doubt if they got permission to get out of the line of fire everyone that isn't mindlessly brainwashed would be running to China.

I hope your expectations are more accurate than mine.

As far as facebook goes, it's my public barometer so to speak. I have about a thousand friends around the globe. I've got news streaming by on every topic EXCEPT NK which is unusual. You'd think at the very least the dems would find a way to use it against Trump as they've been doing with everything else. Yet I've seen nothing. Odd. Maybe people are deliberately avoiding the topic as a means of coping....
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Mollypup wrote:...

As far as facebook goes, it's my public barometer so to speak. I have about a thousand friends around the globe. I've got news streaming by on every topic EXCEPT NK which is unusual. You'd think at the very least the dems would find a way to use it against Trump as they've been doing with everything else. Yet I've seen nothing. Odd. Maybe people are deliberately avoiding the topic as a means of coping....

Maybe you don't know that I never pass up a chance to trash FarceBook :thumbsup: Nothing serious, I just maintain that the real intelligence on the Net is found in specialized forums like this one.

I think the Demoncrats are scared of what may happen with N.K., plus they have their hands full with all the scandals they have caused on Capitol Hill :rofl:

On the pessimistic side, my current estimates (which I have maintained for about 4 years now) are that, even if nothing catastrophic happens the US will not last beyond 2025-2030 because we will simply crumble, or go to war with our own selves. The next 3 years and next presidential election may change my timeline, but this one didn't, and wouldn't have, even if Trump had lost.

So, Bottom Line: Keep Calm and Prep On !
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Mollypup wrote:

Molly ... you can be MY facebook friend! I'm always posting about NOKO. I have an album set up (in my photos) where I post all the news (like here) and very rarely does ANYONE ever comment. No one wants to know. NO One. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

RM I'd love to be your fb friend. :)

I think you may be right. The public as a whole are steadfastly keeping their heads buried in the sand over LFM & NK. I think they need to believe we're the biggest/baddest on the block & no one can touch us, even if when it comes to emps & nukes that isn't true. I know most people understand squat about EMPs, and I don't understand it all that well myself. I just assume anything with a wire in it will be toast & plan accordingly. If that doesn't turn out to be the case then I'll be pleasantly surprised instead of caught with my pants down.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Mollypup wrote:

They don't want to "panic" the US population. It's bad for the politicians.

I believe that a measured response by US households is in order but.... A little reality would probably create a mass panic reaction including looting and crying children on the news.

Last summer Germany (I think it was Germany) started requiring that all people store at least 10 days food and water. This was primarily due to terrorists attacks in Europe. I wish we would do the same. The requirement of storing 20 gallons of water per person would get people's attention.

Not much but a start in awareness.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby 3ADScout » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Mollypup wrote:Meanwhile here in American nothing is being done to prepare the citizens for EMP or nuclear attack or the impending global conflict.....

Mollypup- nothing being done? Since the early 1950's the Armerican government has tried to get Americans to prepare for nuclear attack, there was a short break after the Soviet Union fell but by the late 1990's Federal Preparedness efforts were geared towards weapons of mass distraction which includes nuclear attack. Being a nation that values freedom is it the role of the federal, state, local governments to prepare each person for all the various calamities out there? Not saying that there is no role for government in disaster response but I don't view the governments role is to prepare for me and my family. The message is out there via numerous public service announcements on radio, TV and other media, and the government as well as other organizations have tons of information on disaster preparedness. It is up to WE THE PEOPLE to listen and act individually. Even in Israel they have discontinued the gas mask distribution program! Personally I think when you have a population that is more interested in sports scores and what the Kardashians are doing asking them to take some responsibility for their own safety is mission impossible-
3ADScout

Postby Mollypup » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 am

Man behind nuclear plans says we’re close to Armageddon

One of America’s most famous leakers is revealing how close we are to nuclear Armageddon.

“All out-nuclear war — an irreversible, unprecedented and almost unimaginable calamity for civilization and most life on earth — has been, like the disasters of Chernobyl, Katrina, the Gulf oil spill, Fukushima Daiichi, and before these, World War I, a catastrophe waiting to happen, on a scale infinitely greater than any of these,” writes Daniel Ellsberg in his new book, “The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner” (Bloomsbury USA), out now.

Ellsberg helped write America’s nuclear war plans during the 1960s Cold War years, when the US and the Soviet Union competed to build the greatest and most menacing pile of weapons.

He is proud of helping rework the plans during the Kennedy administration so the president has options besides all-out nuclear war. But over time he learned the system’s greatest — and most obvious — flaw: No matter how efficiently it is run, there is no room for error.

Nuclear bombs “are susceptible to being triggered on a false alarm, a terrorist action, unauthorized launch or a desperate decision to escalate,” Ellsberg writes. “They would kill billions of humans, perhaps ending complex life on earth. This is true even though the Cold War that rationalized their existence and hair-trigger status — and their supposed necessity to national security — ended 30 years ago.”

This is a story Ellsberg first wanted to tell around 1971, when he gained fame as the WikiLeaker of his day.

That year he gave secret government documents about the nation’s Vietnam War history to The New York Times, The Washington Post and other media. That leak is key to the plot of “The Post,” the upcoming movie starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. The documents, known as the “Pentagon Papers,” showed that the government lied for years about the war’s progress and secretly expanded its bombing campaign into neighboring Cambodia and Laos.

At the same time Ellsberg copied the Pentagon Papers from his office at RAND Corp., a consulting firm that advised the Defense Department, he Xeroxed thousands more pages about America’s nuclear-war plans. Ellsberg decided it was a bad idea to leak both sets of documents at once, so he disclosed the more timely Vietnam papers first. “Vietnam is where the bombs are falling right now,” he reasoned.

Meanwhile, Ellsberg gave the nuclear papers to his brother Harry for safekeeping. Harry stored them in the basement of his house in Hastings-on-Hudson before moving them to his backyard compost heap.

While Harry hid the documents, Daniel was being investigated for the Pentagon Papers leak. On June 28, 1971, Ellsberg surrendered to federal authorities in Boston. Around then, Harry buried the papers in what he assumed was an even more secure location — an escarpment at the Hastings-on-Hudson town dump.

But the escarpment proved to be a bad hiding place. After Tropical Storm Doria washed it out in August 1971, the papers were lost forever.

Leaking American nuclear secrets would have landed Ellsberg in prison for decades. He is relieved that no one at the time discovered his act of espionage, writing that his wife, Patricia, saw loss of the papers as “an act of grace . . . It allowed me to sleep next to her, in loving embrace, for the last 40 years instead of in prison.”

Meanwhile, because Richard Nixon’s White House resorted to illegal means to punish Ellsberg for the Pentagon Papers — including burglarizing his psychiatrist’s office in search of blackmail material — a judge dismissed the charges against him in 1973.

Now 86, Ellsberg, who was a Marine lieutenant before he went to work for RAND and the Pentagon, believes the time is right to remind the world that for decades it has lived on the edge of a catastrophe that could wipe out all of human life.

Most Americans think only President Trump can order the use of nuclear weapons. That idea is underscored by the fact that he is always accompanied by a military officer carrying a briefcase — “the football” — containing launch codes.

But Trump isn’t the only military commander authorized to launch nuclear weapons. Ellsberg says the football is “theater — essentially a hoax.”

Lower-level military commanders can act on their own if the US comes under attack and the president can’t respond in time. “There has to be delegation of authority and capability to launch retaliatory strikes, not only to officials outside the Oval Office but outside Washington too,” Ellsberg writes.

The same is true of enemy nuclear powers. Military commanders under attack don’t have to await orders from the top to strike back — even with nuclear weapons.

It almost happened during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, when a frustrated and scared Soviet sub commander considered launching a nuclear-tipped torpedo at US Navy ships that were harassing his boat with noisy but harmless practice depth charges.

Even though he had no direct order from Moscow, the submariner ordered his crew to prepare the nuclear torpedo for firing, partly because he feared the Communist Party political officer who watched his every move might decide he wasn’t aggressive enough.

(The captain admitted to his second in command he didn’t intend to fire the nuclear missile. “We’d go up with it if we did,” he said.)

Ellsberg also highlights the Soviet Union’s “Perimeter” system, which was designed to automatically launch a destructive nuclear counterattack if its electronic sensors detect an incoming attack on Moscow.

Perimeter is triggered in much the same way as the doomsday device described by the Russian ambassador in the 1964 movie “Dr. Strangelove,” a black comedy about an accidental nuclear war that destroys the planet.

Ellsberg writes that the movie “was, essentially, a documentary.”

The film also accurately explained that, under American war plans at the time, there was no way to recall strategic bombers once they were sent on their missions, nor was there “any physical restraint on the ability of a squadron commander, or even a bomber pilot, to execute an attack without presidential authorization.”

Another frightening aspect of US nuclear plans of the time: They provided only for all-out war. If the Soviet Union launched nukes against the US, American generals would retaliate by striking both the Soviet Union and China, assuming they were allies who would fight together.

A Marine general briefed on the plan at a secret government meeting in 1960 said it was immoral to kill 300 million Chinese in a war they did not start. But the plan stood.
“It was my passion to change it,” Ellsberg writes in the book.

During the Kennedy administration, he succeeded in helping write a new plan that allowed for the possibility of a more limited nuclear war. The US also adopted “fail-safe” systems that allow the president to recall nuclear bombers in the event the White House wants to cancel a strike order.

But over time, Ellsberg realized that adjusting strategy was not enough to guard against nuclear weapons’ accidental use. A president could mistakenly launch as many as 800 weapons in less than 10 minutes, the Arms Control Association estimates. And, unlike planes, warheads on missiles can not be called back.

Currently North Korea is trying to build a nuclear arsenal capable of attacking the United States, heightening worries about Armageddon.

We are right to be terrified: A single 800-ton H-bomb exploded over Midtown would instantly vaporize skyscrapers and everything else for miles around and kill millions in the following minutes.

President Trump added to the fear in August, when he said North Korea’s threats to the US “will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”

At a UN speech in September, Trump threatened to “totally destroy” North Korea and said “Little Rocket Man” — dictator Kim Jong-un — “is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime.”

In November, the Senate held the first congressional meeting in 41 years on the president’s nuclear-weapons authority. US generals have said that in a crisis, they will not obey illegal orders from Trump.

But the aggressive language on both sides underscores a danger that persists even though the world’s overall stockpile of atomic bombs is declining, Ellsberg writes.

Since the 1970s, arms treaties have cut the number of nuclear warheads by more than 80 percent. The US stockpile peaked at about 31,255 warheads in the 1960s. Today, the US has about 4,000 nuclear warheads deployed or ready to deploy, and Russia — the successor to the Soviet Union — has about 4,500.The US and Russian arsenals dwarf those of other nuclear-armed countries, who have a total of around 1,100 to 1,200 nuclear weapons.

That’s still far too many, says Ellsberg, who sees just one way to avoid a mistake that could kill us all.

“The risk that one city will be destroyed by a single (perhaps terrorist) weapon in the next year or the next decade cannot, unfortunately, be reduced to zero,” Ellsberg writes. “But the danger of near-extinction of humanity — a continuous possibility for the past 65 years — can be reduced to zero by dismantlement of most existing weapons in both the United States and Russia.”

https://nypost.com/2017/12/16/man-behin ... rmageddon/

Interesting read. However if this guy truly thinks dismantling nukes in the US & Russia is going to greatly reduce the nuclear threat, he's delusional. Pandora's box cant be closed once it's been open.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:05 am

I was aware lower level commanders could launch nuclear weapons, but didn't know there was a rational that would make it "legal." Of course, after a nuclear war begins, "legal" is kinda moot.

The Genie cannot be put back in the bottle, no matter how much a naive person like Ellsberg wants it to be. In fact, shrinking the nuclear arsenals makes it more likely they will be employed, since a smaller arsenal implies that someone could "win" a nuclear war.

Of course, once LFM tests another nuke or two, and another ICBM or two, and completes his submarine, the size of any other arsenal also becomes moot, as the war will begin when LFM gets froggy enough to launch on us, in spite of the consequences.
TRex2

Postby rickdun » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 am

Here's an article that I got from the threat journal about the digging going on at their west portal tunnel and at the bottom of this article they have an article about their submarines and missiles, very interesting:

http://www.38north.org/2017/12/punggye121117/
rickdun

PreviousNext

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters