• Advertisement

On hand supplies for TEOTWAWKI

Survival Communities, Survival Retreats and Bug Out Locations

Moderators: Whisper, medic72, refuge2012

Re: On hand supplies for TEOTWAWKI

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

I didn't read all the posts, but wanted to offer up, framing nails, by the case. And barbed wire. Steele poles. Our plan is and has been tangle wire, and entry egress points, that we control. The trick is to make it not obvious, let the attacker think they have selected their route.

The trick with the extra wire is Windows. You won't stop a determined attack, but you will slow em down enough to put some hurt on em. Entanglement or trip wire works both ways, they tangle on approach, and then in their confusion exiting.

If you don't put them down on their exit, you made a big mistake.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby rickdun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:57 am

Dirk Williams wrote:I didn't read all the posts, but wanted to offer up, framing nails, by the case. And barbed wire. Steele poles. Our plan is and has been tangle wire, and entry egress points, that we control. The trick is to make it not obvious, let the attacker think they have selected their route.

The trick with the extra wire is Windows. You won't stop a determined attack, but you will slow em down enough to put some hurt on em. Entanglement or trip wire works both ways, they tangle on approach, and then in their confusion exiting.

If you don't put them down on their exit, you made a big mistake.

Dirk

Exactly Dirk, I have miles of barbed wire in the loft of the barn for this very reason. Also have electric fence wire to use as trip wire and to set sum up neck high. Cheap security.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Spent the day at the BOL cutting down a pine tree. The son went with me to help and I taught him all about "fat wood". I think he was impressed when I took a lighter out and the stick of fat wood caught on fire just like that. He knows how hard it is normally to start a fire. But I digress.

So I was thinking about other supplies I keep on hand at the BOL. I keep a whole tote of spare parts for my Coleman stoves and lanterns. Generators, nuts that keep the top secured on the lanterns, fuel pump assemblies, I even found some of the thin pieces of metal that are stacked to make the burners on the stoves. Oh and can't forget extra fuel caps. Globes are also stocked as well as mantles for the lanterns. A pump assembly goes for around $10 and a stove generator around $15. Putting together a cache of replacement parts can get exspensive quick however I started to just buy whole used stoves and lantern for replacement parts. I've purchased lanterns for $8 just because the glass globe was missing!! (People are lazy).

So make sure you have some replacement parts when Mr Murphy comes knockin'. Also I think these spare parts would also make great barter stock.
3ADScout

Postby rickdun » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:43 pm

If you have a wood burner, stock up on extra stove pipe, elbows and fire brick. I have 4 sets of pipe/elbows for each wood stove and 25 extra fire brick.

Also, if you have a septic tank, stock up on rid-x, I buy the generic from $ store, it's half the price and same ingredients. I have 12 extra on hand, enough for a year.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm

3ADScout wrote:Spent the day at the BOL cutting down a pine tree. The son went with me to help and I taught him all about "fat wood". I think he was impressed when I took a lighter out and the stick of fat wood caught on fire just like that. He knows how hard it is normally to start a fire. But I digress.

So I was thinking about other supplies I keep on hand at the BOL. I keep a whole tote of spare parts for my Coleman stoves and lanterns. Generators, nuts that keep the top secured on the lanterns, fuel pump assemblies, I even found some of the thin pieces of metal that are stacked to make the burners on the stoves. Oh and can't forget extra fuel caps. Globes are also stocked as well as mantles for the lanterns. A pump assembly goes for around $10 and a stove generator around $15. Putting together a cache of replacement parts can get exspensive quick however I started to just buy whole used stoves and lantern for replacement parts. I've purchased lanterns for $8 just because the glass globe was missing!! (People are lazy).

So make sure you have some replacement parts when Mr Murphy comes knockin'. Also I think these spare parts would also make great barter stock.

also for your Coleman stash - put away bottles of carburetor cleaner - you add it to regular unleaded gas to keep the clogging down - soak your generator tubes to revive them ....

the mantles will be worth gold - buy them in bulk - https://www.americanmantle.us/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:41 pm

[quote="Matte"]I always try to buy things like screws and nails by the box, in fact when it comes to top-of-the-line ones like mulit-purpose screws it's hard to ever have too many.

Sure, these mulit-purpose ones cost more than those cheap "multi-purpose" ones, but the hardware store owner assured me they were worth it. :)

Seriously though, couldn't agree more. Grommets, gaskets, washers, nuts/bolts, bulbs/fuses, concrete screws/anchors, coax adapters, adhesives, copper fittings, and a million others - if I go to the hardware store for one I always try to get at least a couple extra. You'll likely never have every single item to might need, but if you have enough and with a little resourcefulness you can usually jury-rig something together in a pinch. Usually... My most recent "prep fail" was leaving my new female puppy in my plow truck with my snow plow remote within her reach. The little (ahem) (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) ate the rubber soft-touch button faceplate off the remote, and after 30 minutes of googling the cheapest replacement I could find was $150. It'd work by using a tiny ball of aluminum foil to "press" each of the buttons, but not really a long term solution since it required two hands and I find it easier to drive with at least one hand on the steering wheel... Decided to try these, and they work like a charm - plus I have 20 extras to spare. Not to say this belongs on every preppers top ten list of survival items, but just reiterating 3ADScout's point - things like this in storage (to fix your scanner/radio/security system/key fob buttons) could turn a major problem into little more than a minor inconvenience.[/quot

Those "multipurpose" screws rust out fast. In a month or so outside they will fail. Unless your making something temp go with the stainless steel ones. I have a full bolt rack full of every size to 6 inch from 1/4 through 3/4 in Grade 8 bolts plus boxes of screws in various lengths and plenty of nails and staples for my air guns.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Extra handles for hoes rakes grubs axes , files round and flat bastards wood rafts . For tangle foot along with the barbwire fence wire I have roles of poly strapping . nails screws bolts lags in different sizes , Roles of steel cables , spare parts for the hand water pumps . I pick up stuff from auctions , yard sales and sometimes for free like a five gallon bucket of new screws from a cabinet shop . He was going to throw them away also got a bucket of wheel weights for 10 bucks I just added it to my lead stash . list is just to long to list it all .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm

With respect to leather working. I am prepared. I have the necessary tools and some leather stocked. I don't have all the tools I could need but I can make do making sheathes pouches and bags. What I don't have is tanning knowledge and experience.i only have 5lbs of salt that could be used to cure on hide and a couple small hides.

Screws bolts etc. I have a variety but I doubt I'll grab them if I bug out. Those will have to be foraged or scavenged.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am

item(s) I dont see mentioned too often to have handy and in supply - security type items like chain/cable & padlocks - good items to have around even during normal times ....

trespassing - pilfering - break ins - home invasions - thefts - burglaries are all going to skyrocket in a SHTF .... happening now with some of these groups of people ....

besides locking down all kinds of gear around your place that used to be OK as is - could be gates, buildings, road entrances, equipment ect ect - outside your present scope & responsibilities that will need to be locked down during a SHTF ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Previous

Return to Survival Communities