• Advertisement

.50 Beowulf AR-15: A Home Defense Option?

Topics about guns

.50 Beowulf AR-15: A Home Defense Option?

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: .50 Beowulf AR-15: A Home Defense Option?

Postby apache235 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:03 am

If I want something that kicks like a 12 ga, I'll use a 12 ga. An AR 15 has a 30 round magazine (which is good) and you can get larger, it also has suppressors that can be easily had. Don't know of many .50 cal cans other than for the .50 BMG which might be a bit of overkill. Would it work? Sure would, but I can think of guns that I'd rather have for home defense. Then there is the legal side of using not only an evil black rifle but one that can kill anything in North America on the poor misguided cretin that was only looking for some sugar to borrow at 2 am, why you meant to kill him didn't you. This last will depend on where you live of course and how many snowflakes infest the local bureaucracy.
apache235

Postby Blondie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:43 am

I'm thinking this requires a bigger handbag than I want to carry.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby danthman114 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:42 pm

I don't see a point but people can spend their money however they wish. a .45 will work just as well and it costs a lot less than the .50 bw
danthman114

Postby derhaashund » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Good choice if you are shooting a T-rex...Behind the fridge... in your neighbors house.
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I see it as one of those fun toy calibers.

It could have its uses.

The .458SOCOM was developed as a short range, engine block penetrator.

If I had the means, i.e. money, I would consider either round.
Then again, if I had the means, I would get a Shiloh Sharps Quigley too.

But I do not.
I will stick with the old .308WIN.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am

Guys, the bewwolf and the .458 socom are two different animals. Have limited experience for the .50 and traded it off, just not practical, for my needs. (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth) toy, but I just thought the .458 offered so so so much more.

It's no secret, I own a lot of guns, I'm a gun guy. The .458 is a (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth) gun, " mines on a m-4 frame. My shoot partner is retired SF, he shared that his ODA, were using them for urban house clearing in the sand box. Not everybody on the team, but about half the team.

Of course these guys can carry anything they want, as long as it's in their armory. He built one, I shot the snot out of it. My initial review was its a very specialized tool, and a very effective tool, if applied to the right scenario.

I have one now, and I love it. Expensive to shoot, we are loading our own rounds now, so it's a bit cheaper.

While I'd hate to get hit with any bullet, their are a few out their ivREALLY don't want to get hit with. This .458 is one of those.

It's common to make entries with standard m4s, and shoot until the target is no longer a threat. Which means two to ten rounds. My friend John confirms that one .458 on body mass,is a show stopper.

He reports leg hits putting down bad guys no questions asked.

John's job in Iraq, was actively hunting Quds force Iranians, killing them where they found them. He was favorably impressed by the .458, and after owning and shooting one, so am I.

Hope this helps.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby munchie3409 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I'd be concerned with some serious over penetration as a HD weapon. There are better choices out there that is for sure. Those big bores are also very loud, so you better be using a suppressor indoors. A lot of concussion from the muzzle blast as well.
munchie3409

Postby MrDanB » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:28 am

Interesting topic! I DID purchase a .50 Beowulf from Tactical Realm earlier this year. After taking it out multiple times and having my way with large blocks of ice, paper targets etc. I would say that this rifle would definitely stop an intruder in his tracks. Even the 335 grain "target" rounds are too much for home protection. They say in the manual that the rifle is good out to a maximum of 200 yards. It is much like shooting a slug out of a 12 gauge shotgun, but in an AR platform. The stout buffer spring helps reduce felt recoil, so you can get back on target quicker than a 12 gauge imho.
I find that most people who have bad things to say about the .50 (or .458) have never fired one
before. At $26.99 /box of 20, the target ammo is pricey. To each their own I suppose, but I will not be using this rifle as a home defense tool. Too much to go wrong with my own situation...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:43 am

I wouldn't buy one just for the HUGE freaking target that would instantly appear on the ATF computers - the FEDs are tracking all these heavy weapons sales and finding out EXACTLY whom is buying - you and everyone associated would be tagged "militia" until proven innocent for a charge that's never made ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Guys, the bewwolf and the .458 socom are two different animals. Have limited experience for the .50 and traded it off, just not practical, for my needs. (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth) toy, but I just thought the .458 offered so so so much more.

It's no secret, I own a lot of guns, I'm a gun guy. The .458 is a (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth) gun, " mines on a m-4 frame. My shoot partner is retired SF, he shared that his ODA, were using them for urban house clearing in the sand box. Not everybody on the team, but about half the team.

Of course these guys can carry anything they want, as long as it's in their armory. He built one, I shot the snot out of it. My initial review was its a very specialized tool, and a very effective tool, if applied to the right scenario.

I have one now, and I love it. Expensive to shoot, we are loading our own rounds now, so it's a bit cheaper.

While I'd hate to get hit with any bullet, their are a few out their ivREALLY don't want to get hit with. This .458 is one of those.

It's common to make entries with standard m4s, and shoot until the target is no longer a threat. Which means two to ten rounds. My friend John confirms that one .458 on body mass,is a show stopper.

He reports leg hits putting down bad guys no questions asked.

John's job in Iraq, was actively hunting Quds force Iranians, killing them where they found them. He was favorably impressed by the .458, and after owning and shooting one, so am I.

Hope this helps.

Dirk

Thank you for your input Dirk.

Always appreciated.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 pm

MrDanB wrote:Interesting topic! I DID purchase a .50 Beowulf from Tactical Realm earlier this year. After taking it out multiple times and having my way with large blocks of ice, paper targets etc. I would say that this rifle would definitely stop an intruder in his tracks. Even the 335 grain "target" rounds are too much for home protection. They say in the manual that the rifle is good out to a maximum of 200 yards. It is much like shooting a slug out of a 12 gauge shotgun, but in an AR platform. The stout buffer spring helps reduce felt recoil, so you can get back on target quicker than a 12 gauge imho.
I find that most people who have bad things to say about the .50 (or .458) have never fired one
before. At $26.99 /box of 20, the target ammo is pricey. To each their own I suppose, but I will not be using this rifle as a home defense tool. Too much to go wrong with my own situation...

On paper, I like the .458SOCOM.

But, as you put out so well, it is dang expensive to shoot.

I will stick to my FNH SLP 12ga.
Cast Iron

Postby rickdun » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
MrDanB wrote:Interesting topic! I DID purchase a .50 Beowulf from Tactical Realm earlier this year. After taking it out multiple times and having my way with large blocks of ice, paper targets etc. I would say that this rifle would definitely stop an intruder in his tracks. Even the 335 grain "target" rounds are too much for home protection. They say in the manual that the rifle is good out to a maximum of 200 yards. It is much like shooting a slug out of a 12 gauge shotgun, but in an AR platform. The stout buffer spring helps reduce felt recoil, so you can get back on target quicker than a 12 gauge imho.

On paper, I like the .458SOCOM.

But, as you put out so well, it is dang expensive to shoot.

I will stick to my FNH SLP 12ga.

Ghee Cast Iron, those ain't cheap either, you must be rich.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby MrDanB » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:I wouldn't buy one just for the HUGE freaking target that would instantly appear on the ATF computers - the FEDs are tracking all these heavy weapons sales and finding out EXACTLY whom is buying - you and everyone associated would be tagged "militia" until proven innocent for a charge that's never made ....

Thanks for your insight! It's not illegal to own an AR15 (which this is). It's one cartridge per trigger pull and it's only good out to 200 yds. Hardly a "heavy" weapon. Folks here are comparing it to a shotgun. Can't hardly go after all the millions of shotguns in the nation.I have no more of a target on me than anyone else here...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm

MrDanB wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:I wouldn't buy one just for the HUGE freaking target that would instantly appear on the ATF computers - the FEDs are tracking all these heavy weapons sales and finding out EXACTLY whom is buying - you and everyone associated would be tagged "militia" until proven innocent for a charge that's never made ....

Thanks for your insight! It's not illegal to own an AR15 (which this is). It's one cartridge per trigger pull and it's only good out to 200 yds. Hardly a "heavy" weapon. Folks here are comparing it to a shotgun. Can't hardly go after all the millions of shotguns in the nation.I have no more of a target on me than anyone else here...

you must not follow the antics of the anti-gun crowd - because anything .50 cal is just absolutely driving them nutz .... and FBI has been working that route into the militia background for decades - they even try to follow the ammo sales ....

and .50 cal is considered heavy weapon for the civilian market ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Next

Return to Guns