• Advertisement

New to Ham, got a quick question.

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

New to Ham, got a quick question.

Postby The Burlap Monster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:26 am

Okay so I wanted to ask if there is any difference in a handheld "HAM" radio and the box that looks like what truckers use?

Because I really like these radios here... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVP7A3A/_e ... F7L6C1LD54

But I'm not sure if they are the same as something like this.... https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-9800-Cros ... =HAM+radio

Like do they do the same things? Do you need a HAM license to use the handheld radios?

I know you can own both legally without a license if you're only listening, but another question I have is let's say you and your group of guys had a bunch of those handheld radios but only one HAM station thingy and the only person who had a HAM license was using it. When he uses the station to contact all the guys can the guys use the handheld ones to respond when they don't have a HAM license? Or can they only listen to him? :?
"When you need help that second the police are only minutes away"
The Burlap Monster

Location: In the bush that seems to hard for a normal person to reach.

Re: New to Ham, got a quick question.

Postby Rowan-The-Red » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 am

I am in the process of studying for my ham license so I am by far NO EXPERT. However I am pretty certain that the hand held radios are very limited in their range and really only work well when they are "line of site" so if you live somewhere with lots of mountains or ridges they are not going to work for you. Also the wattage of the handhelds are very low compared to the the other one (7W vs 50W) and I think that is another limiting feature of handhelds.

I can tell you that one of the reasons I am getting my ham license is because I bought a 6 pack of hand helds similar to the ones you put in the link and one I received them I found that there was so many buttons and controls that I had no idea what to do with them!
Rowan-The-Red

Postby apache235 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I would study up and get your Tech license, get on various HAM sites and start asking questions. You might find that the radios you listed might not be all that popular with licensed folks. It's more a question of them working long term and in a SHTF situation, your ability to keep them running (read repair them). The 2m and 70 cm bands are pretty much line of sight unless you have a repeater that you can get on and if the power is out, so most likely, will be the repeaters. As for truckers, they use CB and you don't need a license for that, but that too is pretty much line of sight (11 meter band). As a technician you will be limited on the 10 meter band to 28.3-28.5 MHz either morse code (CW) or SSB which that quad unit won't do. 6 meter is open to technician. You can also use higher frequencies up to 250 GHz IF you can find the equipment, but for SHTF probably not a good idea.
apache235

Postby The Burlap Monster » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:51 am

Okay thank you! ^ _ ^
"When you need help that second the police are only minutes away"
The Burlap Monster

Location: In the bush that seems to hard for a normal person to reach.

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Norman11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Good questions. Not so easy answer. Hand held ham radios are limited in range by both the low power 2Watt to 8Watt and by the small rubber duck antenna.
The Box type radios that truckers use are usually CB , there are Ham Radios that look like these. They are mobile units that use the vehicle Battery and have an external antenna and can be 25watt to 100watt. They could be a Base station at your home
The question about the group use is each person that transmits on the Amateur Radio Frequencies must be licensed. Unlicensed may listen.
UHF and VHF radios are limited in range. The signal travels in a straight line A hill, a cement and steel building, and the curve of the earth will block the signal.
Norman11

Postby Defcon09 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am

You can also extend the range of that HT by using a window mount antenna bracket and attach the rubber duckie or other antenna or a better mag mount antenna designed for 2m/440 use. Both will help using a HT inside a vehicle.
Defcon09

Return to Emergency Communications