• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Found a Hole in my Preps!

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Found a Hole in my Preps!

Postby IceFire » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm

An incident a couple of days ago pointed out a hole in my preps :o I need to get some TRAIL CAMS and get them set up by my corral.

A couple of days ago, my husband went out to feed our animals about an hour after getting home from work...he found one of my horses with our 20 foot lunge line (which had NOT been in/near the corral) tied around her neck (tight enough to be almost choking her) and the trailing ends equal. Husband had to bribe her with an apple to get close enough to take the lead off. She was totally spooked. Apparently, someone tried to take her. Daughter had been home from work at lunchtime and they were fine then., so sometime in the afternoon between lunchtime and 4-ish. In other words, BROAD DAYLIGHT! Fortunately, she is NOT a horse to tolerate anything (and hopefully got a good chunk out of or kicked the snot out of whoever did it.)

Told a friend/neighbor (who just happens to be an Arizona Ranger) and apparently the drug runners will take horses in that manner to pack their drugs, then leave them tied up somewhere. They take the rope first around the horse’s neck, then loop it up to form a make-shift halter. Lucky for us, the one they tried to take is still half-wild at best, pretty much just green-broke, leery of strangers and completely head shy; so NOT the horse to mess with.

Oh, BTW, the corral is toward the BACK fence, and we keep our gate LOCKED at night and when away, so they either hopped the gate or the fence. So, I will be purchasing some game/trail cams, and setting them up along the driveway (the obvious approach in), as well as by the coral and animal pens.

Hopefully there won't be another incident, but if there IS, I want to have the photographic evidence to turn over to the Sheriff's Office.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Found a Hole in my Preps!

Postby JoyDog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Be sure to keep the times and dates right as we have been to court with cams and the data has to be right. We won!
JoyDog

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Make sure to keep the cameras hidden. Supposedly burglars and other such thieves are not intimidated by cameras in plain sight and they will just put on masks but if they don't know they're on camera its a different story. Trail cams themselves are sometimes stolen, but they do make the hidden cameras for use in the woods to record thieves.
Photon Guy

Postby IceFire » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

The suspicion is that it's drug smugglers...apparently, they steal the horses to transport their loads to the "pick-up point', then abandon them. (Found this our from the friend who's an Arizona Ranger) Apparently, there have been several incidents in my area. Some never got off the properties with the horses, in one case, the thieves got off the property with the horses, but the horses (rescued mustangs) got away from the thieves and made a bee-line straight back home.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby handyman777 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:35 am

In the good old day's they would HANG horse thieves so much for the good old days.

Trail cams will help, might want to keep a loaded shotgun near by, never know about drug runners, watch your back side, where there's 1 there could be 2 or 3.

Smooth or rake the outer area and look for foot prints so you can see a trail they may be using and set up a camera there.

Small game or Big game hunting is hunting.
Good Luck.
Might want to get that tractor out and dig some ditch's . :evil: :D
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 am

Back in the 1980's it wasn't unusual for horsemeat to be shipped to Mexico to be turned into dogfood. Several barns in our area had horses stolen and we ended up having someone sleep in the tack room. We all took turns. Never caught a horse thief but we did catch 2 local teenagers trying to steal saddles ect.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 am

might be seeing an uptick in this kind of activity - where you never saw it before ... the cartel's two legged pack mules are in a spiral down because of the immigration enforcement - not only the border - but also cutting them off for the reasons for coming into the US ...

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... tion-raid/

https://nypost.com/2017/07/27/ice-arres ... mmigrants/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Oh wow, that's scary. And infuriating. I do have a camera down by my horses, it doesn't cover all their area, but I'll know if someone comes in or out. So glad they didn't get her!
Stahlrosen

Postby IceFire » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:might be seeing an uptick in this kind of activity - where you never saw it before ... the cartel's two legged pack mules are in a spiral down because of the immigration enforcement - not only the border - but also cutting them off for the reasons for coming into the US ...

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... tion-raid/

https://nypost.com/2017/07/27/ice-arres ... mmigrants/

I posted about it on a local FB page...turns out there is a LOT of it going on, and apparently has been for a while. Several in my area have had attempts on their horses. We are ALL on "high alert" now!

And I just learned today, the drug runners aren't putting the drugs ON the horses, they're putting the drugs IN them! :eek:
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kenjabroni » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:55 am

Holy Moly that is a scary situation Ice. Maybe you need to get some 50 cal machine guns too. Have your cameras linked to your phone so when they go off you can see whats going on and somehow remotely activate and shoot the 50s...... :D We can dream that at least. That has to be very nerve wracking.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

:shock:
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:25 pm

We're looking for a source for concertina wire....we'll put it along the fence lines, and plant thorny berry bushes.to grow up through it and cover it...they'd only see the bushes, and then tangle with the wire if they tried coming over/through the fence...
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 am

Blackberry bushes have some wicked thorns......and black berries as the bonus.

Hidden electrified fence? Not sure what to call it. But way back when I was very little my grandma worked for a farmer who had some troubles over cows. Now I was little......but somehow he wove (or perhaps it came that way) the electrical wire in the barbed wire & trust me it couldn't be seen. No one was going over it without touching it because it was too tall & you sure weren't going under either. Not even a little kid. My brother didn't heed the warnings & got a major jolt (knocked him flat on his back) trying to get over to fish in the creek of the pasture.

If they can't get horses, next it will be family pets. smh Makes me glad my dogs aren't the least bit social unless I want them to be.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 am

IceFire wrote:We're looking for a source for concertina wire....we'll put it along the fence lines, and plant thorny berry bushes.to grow up through it and cover it...they'd only see the bushes, and then tangle with the wire if they tried coming over/through the fence...

check the war surplus/military gear outfits for concertina wire - the contractors that do the military fencing used to re-sell it - I think that avenue might have been closed along with the other surplus stuff like ammo boxes ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to General Preparedness Discussion