• Advertisement

December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Postby IceFire » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Starting this off.

Yesterday, spent several hours on the roof of the roof of the "temporary" chicken coop...putting down rolled roofing, after slathering on the adhesive. Should keep the rain from ruining the wood of the roof (as well as the crap from the chickens that WILL insist on perching on top of the coop.)

This afternoon, put down the leftover rolled roofing on the INSIDE of the "temporary" chicken coop, (WITHOUT the adhesive....just used roofing tacks to hold it down) to protect the wood from the inevitable crap that WILL accumulate. This will in turn be covered by a layer of chopped stray. Also got the outside of the coop painted, to protect the OUTside from the weather.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:03 pm

When I redid the floor in the chicken house I soaked it up well with Spar Varnish so nothing would soak into the wood. Tar paper will just trap moisture underneath and rot the wood.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

Oh, good grief. Shows you how discombobulated I've been the past 2 weeks - didn't even notice I'd posted the December stuff in November's WDYDTPTW/M.

Anyway, we picked up our half a pig from our niece. She raised and fed it, we paid for butchering, win/win. We got 50 pounds of sausage, chops, loins, ribs, and bacon.

Now I have to get started on Christmas stuff. :eek:
Cin

Postby tamtbell » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I purchased my hubby the beginnings of another BOB, complete with things like MRE like meals, a hatchet, winter socks, a good knife. Other things I'll go to our clothing and sale here on post and get as stocking stuffers.
I also ordered myself a knife throwing set just because it's been something on my bucket list to learn. Just seems neat. As I kid my Mom would've balked at the fact that her daughter was handling firearms, bows and arrows or throwing knives so....
I am also, once again, studying for the HAM technician test. And failing miserably so far. Much like taking a test in greek when you've never been exposed to greek. But each day I try it again. I think I end up remembering about 2 of the questions in 35. I hope to have it down and understood by summer. I hope. The only thing I definitely understand about electricity is how it feels to be massively shocked and thrown across the room. LOL
I'm just about finished knitting my very first shawl which has taken me forever since I work on it mostly at work.
Oh and it seems I might be getting a regular customer to buy my jams and jellies that I display here at work. Nice.
Tonight I have to make a batch of Highbush Cranberry/Orange and Bourbon jelly. YUM YUM Highbush cranberries came from our property.
We now have on our property: Apple trees; Crabapple trees; raspberries; alpine currants and red currants; gooseberries; honeyberries; highbush cranberries; chokecherries; rhubarb; asparagus field; ostrich ferns (fiddlehead ferns); horseradish; wild Alaska Roses (good for the petals and the rosehips). We raise meat rabbits year round and honeybees in the summer months.
This year we intend to raise chickens as well.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Went to a prepper and survivalist expo in Jacksonville, FL and got some preps. I also went gator and hog hunting down in southern FL and so I've got enough good gator and hog meat to last me some time. Bought more ammo as well.
Photon Guy

Postby Cin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm

We finished one of our before-winter tasks.

11-year-old shingle roof was damaged by hail during the early part of summer. The new metal roof was installed today. Now I can check that off the list!

We have had several below freezing nights after weeks of temps in the 60s-70s. We'll probably be starting the wood stove sometime this week.
Cin

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 am

I lucked into 6 loads of topsoil for free it seems they just needed a place to get rid of it..

I'm thinking raised bed garden and finally filling in the low spots this spring..

Hmm I wonder if the grandson's would want shovels and a wheelbarrow for X-Mas
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am

farmer_dude48 wrote:I lucked into 6 loads of topsoil for free it seems they just needed a place to get rid of it..

I'm thinking raised bed garden and finally filling in the low spots this spring..

could be better off all the way around using that topsoil for growing grass instead of veggies - if you don't know the heritage of the soil - there could be a contamination problem that is hazardous to your health ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I agree, you want to start with the best possible soil in your raised beds.

Our chickens FINALLY started laying! Hallelujah! Started with one then two then three then five then six and yesterday the grand total of seven! Slow start but we are happy with 7 out of 12 laying.

I didn't post much, if at all in November as we were transitioning my father from MS to with us here in GA. He is helpful and full of knowledge of the old days/ways. Raised in southern Indiana, his family did a lot for themselves even though his dad worked as a Jack (literally was his nickname) of all trades, machinist, carpenter, etc. He is 80, a retired USAF Master Sergeant and food service manager, his after military career. It's great having him here with us - I consider him part of our preps! :D

When we cleaned out his house when it sold, we kept anything we thought would be useful. He had old tools, books, guns, knives and a myriad of other useful household stuff that we carefully packed and brought back with us.

The fall/winter garden is looking pretty good with turnip greens, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage and kale. Oh, and garlic but that doesn't harvest until late spring/early summer.

Currently keeping a close eye on this North Korea thing. We live in a military practice fly zone and they have been up constantly since the last missile was launched by NK. Sometimes 12-13 hours a day. Saw a refueling tanker just Tuesday, something we have never seen out here in the 5 years we have had this property.

Got a load of fire wood delivered last week, a propane tank installed for the camper so we wouldn't have to keep changing out the tanks for my dad, and got our main house tank topped off - we are ready for the cold weather!

Stay warm!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby anita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 pm

farmer_dude48 wrote:I lucked into 6 loads of topsoil for free it seems they just needed a place to get rid of it..

Topsoil is not typically good garden soil, and depending on where you are getting it, it may be loaded with weed seeds. My father decided to mimic my raised beds with one of his own, but cheaped out and just added soil from somewhere on the farm. It quickly turned into a raised bed of weeds.

One of the advantages of raised beds is that you start with sterilized compost, peat moss, etc that doesn't have weed seeds or they've been cooked out, or whatever.

When I started my raised beds at my last house, I did get bulk mushroom soil as a base. It's spent, but pretty loamy, so is a nice base.

I just moved, and raked up a lot of leaves and fenced them in for the winter. I also saved a lot of small branches/twigs from trees that were cut down. When I start my raised beds this spring, I'll cut up the twigs and branches and put them in the bottom of the bed, then top with leaves, and then top those with the compost, peat, mushroom soil, composted manure, etc, etc. Loading up the bottoms of the beds with leaves and twigs/branches gives you a bit of a hugelkulture effect at the bottom of your bed. I use 11" beds at a minimum, and put them on cement blocks or bricks, etc., so they end up being about 13" deep, or deeper. So the branches/leaves are well buried in compost and dirt, and just break down over time.

If I were concerned that the people here had used a lot of lawn fertilizer or weed killer, I wouldn't keep the leaves or branches. But, given the state of the yard and general disrepair of the house, I don't think I have to worry about them doing much with the yard.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Mollypup » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 am

I just wanted to pass on some info for those stocking up. Krogers has sugar on sale for .99 this week.

Yes, I intend to buy a LOT...as much as they'll let me, then go back & get more. lol I just ran out of last year's sale supply about 2 months ago.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:55 am

Mollypup wrote:I just wanted to pass on some info for those stocking up. Krogers has sugar on sale for .99 this week.

Yes, I intend to buy a LOT...as much as they'll let me, then go back & get more. lol I just ran out of last year's sale supply about 2 months ago.

Our Giant Eagle stores have the same thing, must buy 3 of sugar (4lb) or flour (5lb) or brown/powdered sugar (32 oz), mix or match, no limit.

Wife stocked up yesterday.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am

Mollypup wrote:I just wanted to pass on some info for those stocking up. Krogers has sugar on sale for .99 this week.

Kroger store brand peanut butter also at .99 (cents) - that's cheap these days - and it usually includes the entire shelf including the natural stuff ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby farmer_dude48 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 am

anita wrote:

Topsoil is not typically good garden soil, and depending on where you are getting it, it may be loaded with weed seeds. My father decided to mimic my raised beds with one of his own, but cheaped out and just added soil from somewhere on the farm. It quickly turned into a raised bed of weeds.

One of the advantages of raised beds is that you start with sterilized compost, peat moss, etc that doesn't have weed seeds or they've been cooked out, or whatever.

When I started my raised beds at my last house, I did get bulk mushroom soil as a base. It's spent, but pretty loamy, so is a nice base.

I just moved, and raked up a lot of leaves and fenced them in for the winter. I also saved a lot of small branches/twigs from trees that were cut down. When I start my raised beds this spring, I'll cut up the twigs and branches and put them in the bottom of the bed, then top with leaves, and then top those with the compost, peat, mushroom soil, composted manure, etc, etc. Loading up the bottoms of the beds with leaves and twigs/branches gives you a bit of a hugelkulture effect at the bottom of your bed. I use 11" beds at a minimum, and put them on cement blocks or bricks, etc., so they end up being about 13" deep, or deeper. So the branches/leaves are well buried in compost and dirt, and just break down over time.

If I were concerned that the people here had used a lot of lawn fertilizer or weed killer, I wouldn't keep the leaves or branches. But, given the state of the yard and general disrepair of the house, I don't think I have to worry about them doing much with the yard.

I already planned on dealing with weeds and such it shouldn't be that big a deal , good soil brings $150 to $200 a load around here so I thought free was a good deal..

Thanks for idea of adding small sticks and twigs in the bottom I hadn't thought of that. I also have a lg. compost pile to add into the beds....

I am going to try and start with a strawberry bed will concrete blocks work for a raised bed or will the freezing and thawing cause them to move ???
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am

I can't speak to the cement block shifting, as I just put a single layer of block down (the two-inch type) then put my wood bed on top of that. It kept the wood bed out of the stones (which I used for the walkways), so it didn't rot as quickly. Also gave me an extra two inches to the depth of the bed, which was an added bonus.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion