• Advertisement

Coffee ; Folgers and Maxwell House

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Coffee ; Folgers and Maxwell House

Postby JayJay » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 am

Nowhere seems appropriate for this topic; so posting here, as I don't do social networks.
I am a 67 year old woman and used coffee all my life; I take daily senna leaves and have for years to perform, or I don't go for days. Yep--it's sad. :(

How are they connected you ask??
Gene bought name brand instant Nescafe and it was so bitter, I threw it in the trash....then, he brought home Folgers because DG wasn't on the shelf, bitter also, but I still drank it.
Well, the first 3/4 days I had diarrhea after trying that brand(I'm used to generic, cheap, coffee is warm and that's what I really like)and stopped for a few days, no diarrhea....returned to Folgers and after 6 hours, diarrhea.
I started researching it and found a site with thousands of diarrhea, nausea, dizzyness, etc. cases...attributed to Maxwell House AND Folgers. I even read cases that received a sedative-like reaction which is what also happened to me--weird.

Anyone else??

I am now using brewed MH bought many years ago ( probably 6 large cans) and it's fine...no bitterness and no diarrhea.
What is happening? with coffee??
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Re: Coffee ; Folgers and Maxwell House

Postby rickdun » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 pm

My wife and I are close to your age and we've been drinking coffee since we were in high school. We drink what ever is on sale, all types and have never had the problem you have.

Every bodies system is different and is affected in different ways from different foods or drink.

For instance, if I drink an 8 ounce glass of milk, I have to run to the bathroom in about 20 minutes, but I can eat a pound of cheese and have to take x-lax to go, just doesn't make sense to me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

My wife has developed this same syndrome along with several friends. They are all heavy coffee drinkers. We are all in the late 60s, I am 69 and feelin fine and I drink one small cup of black coffee every morning to pop the old eyeballs open and wake up. No one here has associated this malady with drinking coffee. My wife had tests done to identify intestinal bacteria but the tests came back negative so now she is going to eliminate coffee to see if anything changes.
Fullmoon

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:12 am

My experience, can't help with coffee but years ago I developed a constant case of "the trots". Over the years had plenty of tests that no guy wants to discuss and cut out this food and that for a week here and a week there. Docs keep telling me that I'm allergic to something in my diet but darned if I can figure out what it is, I even gave up beer with no improvement but better mornings so I've mostly kept that one out of the diet.

Something the comedian George Carlin once said about getting old. "Never trust a fart".... you get the idea.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby JayJay » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 am

I brewed and drank 3 cups of old MH today with a best by date of 2013--no problems. It is the instant Folgers bought last week that is the problem.
The bitter coffee I threw in the trash two weeks ago was brand Nescafe----it was horrible.

Did you know Nescafe is manufactured by Nestle???

My problem is the money wasted--for me, discarding $8 coffee--twice--- is not taken lightly.
One lady said she purchased 4 jars on sale and will discard all 4. That was her second purchase since she had discarded coffee thinking it was a fluke--bad batch???--- so consider how much money we are spending for ....NOTHING
JayJay

Postby NJMike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:51 am

Sorry to hear the coffee isn't working out for you, but rather than dump it in the trash, if you have a garden it's useful to add to compost or just mixed in with some fertilizer for your plants.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 am

NJMike wrote:Sorry to hear the coffee isn't working out for you, but rather than dump it in the trash, if you have a garden it's useful to add to compost or just mixed in with some fertilizer for your plants.

Nope--I work hard to keep chemicals/insecticides/pesticides out of my raised bed garden. I have read so many posts that added chemicals is what is making the coffee bitter/causing illnesses, etc.
But, used coffee grounds are okay for beds if not contaminated.
JayJay

Postby Cin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm

You just might go get tested for H. Pylori or C. diff. Both bacteria cause major problems, and I know with h. pylori especially, a sudden aversion to coffee and/or chocolate is a symptom.

One of my kids got h. pylori on a visit out of country, now even the thought of chocolate makes her nauseous and its been years. Formerly, this kid was a chocoholic.

I realize that you have no problems with MH coffee you are drinking right now, but still might want to be checked.

I am a relatively new coffee drinker - never drank it before this year, but I fell in love with white chocolate mochas and decided to reproduce them at home. Some brands are extremely bitter to me. Folgers and Maxwell House taste terrible - but Dunkin Donuts is great. Maybe they are processed differently than other coffees and some people just taste the bitterness?

Kind of like cilantro - some of us think it tastes divine, like the first day of a fresh rain in spring - but many people think it has a terrible, soapy flavor they can't get past!

Well, I'm not much help, but I felt the need to comment about the bacteria... :rolleyes:
Cin

Postby Cin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

I spent part of yesterday cleaning up the old roofing garbage (we agreed to haul it away to save costs).

Today, a friend gave me 100 pounds of beef - they'd butchered two cows last year, and since it's now just the two of them, they simply can't eat all the meat. They gave part of it to me so it wouldn't go to waste! :D Thank heavens I cleaned out the freezer last week for the 50 pounds of pork we got from our niece (split a pig).

Dehydrated some ginger and will put it in pretty jars for presents - one kid asked for this as a gift. This kid spends time overseas so tummy issues are common, and the kid also just loves the taste of ginger, so having it readily available without having to buy a whole root is economical. (I gave the kid some during the family visit in summer as a sample).

Also did some Christmas sewing, a small table runner gift for someone who does a lot for me. :)
Cin

Postby JayJay » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am

Cin-- if that suggestion was for me--I don't do doctors!! :p
I am 67 yr. old, female, and take no prescriptions.

Never ever sick, never had a cold or flu.

Haven't seen a doctor in about 10 years. Broken toes--don't bother--he was honest and said they would heal on their own; and they did!!!
JayJay

Postby daaswampman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Cin wrote:You just might go get tested for H. Pylori or C. diff. Both bacteria cause major problems, and I know with h. pylori especially, a sudden aversion to coffee and/or chocolate is a symptom.

One of my kids got h. pylori on a visit out of country, now even the thought of chocolate makes her nauseous and its been years. Formerly, this kid was a chocoholic.

I realize that you have no problems with MH coffee you are drinking right now, but still might want to be checked.

I am a relatively new coffee drinker - never drank it before this year, but I fell in love with white chocolate mochas and decided to reproduce them at home. Some brands are extremely bitter to me. Folgers and Maxwell House taste terrible - but Dunkin Donuts is great. Maybe they are processed differently than other coffees and some people just taste the bitterness?

Kind of like cilantro - some of us think it tastes divine, like the first day of a fresh rain in spring - but many people think it has a terrible, soapy flavor they can't get past!

Well, I'm not much help, but I felt the need to comment about the bacteria... :rolleyes:

Good advice! One brand of coffe over another is beyond remote. C Diff in particular can be caught over and over. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 am

I have no idea why my post for December's What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month ended up on this thread when I had closed this thread out and was reading the other before responding. Weird. I also had a lot of trouble signing in that day - kept getting SQL errors.

Sorry - back to the discussion on coffee. :)
Cin

Postby sageprice » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 pm

both are okay but I perfer Deathwish coffee.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby woodchipper518 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Dang....I hope I never get the trots from coffee. Unbelievably, my wife and I quit cold turkey in September. We used to reheat yesterday's coffee with a half pot of fresh brewed. We still have two gift subscriptions to coffee companies we cannot seem to stop from shipping. No headaches. I'm still jonesing for the smell of coffee but then my wife confessed to a $200/mon habit at freaking Starbucks....and she used to (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) at me for buying ammo. I have dehydrated coffee in my preps and a probably 10lbs in roasted/ground form.

H. Pylori is a good comment. Food/liquid sensitivities can occur at any point. I've seen people each shrimp on Saturday and be in anaphylatic shock on Sunday from it. Same with strawberries. I'm allergic to alcohol....well maybe I was more allergice to handcuffs. I'm allergic to money, I breakout broke whenever I have some to spend.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Return to First Aid & Medicine