• Advertisement

Prepping With-out Comms

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Prepping With-out Comms

Postby Cadit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am

Greetings All:

Hope all are well and in good spirits full of holiday cheer, or at least have had some of the old time spirits to lift the spirit. Another comment on comms as an essential tool in one prepper bag. Prepping with no comms is like a blind man or woman trying to get the news with out radio or TV and no brail news paper. He or she is then totally in the dark, and if you are waiting on a neighbor to fill you in on what is happening, well good luck with that.

Comms is not a bad thing as many preppers think, it's a tool like any other one may have in there prepper bag. But; with comms you can work in a network of preppers that are watch and listening to what's happening across the country and around the corner. Instead of waiting to see if the enemy is at your back door, you would know if they were working in your county. BIG difference. I can't say enough about how important comms are and how it can give you a heads up if something is headed your way. Which would you rather have; a few minutes or a few hours and maybe even days to prepare or get out?

So; Be the one who know a head of time, instead of the one running for the hills and leaving everything behind. It can happen to anyone; even you or me. No one is exempt!
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Prepping With-out Comms

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

Prepping w/o comma is not advisable. A couple of radio receivers is minimum. A couple of FRS radio pairs too

I've been stepping up my comm preps in the last couple of months. I'm in a loose affiliated group of folks who have committed to comm preparation. We are all over the DFW area. Everyone got their Tech license and have acquired a radio. All 5w or 8w handhelds. Now we are programming the freq and repeaters using the same CHIRP file. Still a bunch if newbies. A buddy and I acquired 25w car radios and magnetic mount antennas and will be programming it accordingly. We are going to set aside some 10-15 channels to program select frequencies to form our own net. From there we'll figure our process and procedure. Next steps will be setting up antennas at our locations. I don't see a base station in my future. Maybe signal amp and directional antenna tuning. But I have a dreaded HOA to comply with.

We have a few Elmers mentoring us from local amateur radio clubs, too. These folks have been helpful and have been decent with us bastardizing their passion for prepping.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Cadit » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:44 am

Hi Woodchipper: sounds to me you guys are on top of things, Many do not fully understand the dire need for such communications. Glad to hear that all of you got your Tech licenses; welcome aboard. I suggest to all Hams and newbies: learn all you can about Antennas, the antenna is the back bone of radio, it can increase your distance or decrease it. I have my General class plus went ahead and paid for the GMRS license also. One license can cover an entire group. I have extended mine to my family, all can use it.

But once again: welcome aboard.

I also have a battery box set-up for the field; like in camping or if I had to bug out. Solar also; to keep the batteries charged. With all the changes made by the FCC, I'm buying up more of the Baofeng UV-5R while there are still on the market, after the old radios are gone, you want be able to buy them in America, they will be illegal to sale. With all the changes restricting frequency rang of handhelds from outside America like the Baofeng.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:43 am

I would like to have some handhelds, to keep everyone aware of what is going on in the community.

To be honest, I am not going to have the time to sit around and monitor a radio for most of the day. There will be livestock to attend to, gardens, crops to plant and a whole lot more.

If we have a person who is no longer physically able and can man the radio shack, by all means.

It would be good to know if there were hostiles coming our way. But, that is what the armed roadblock is for.

What they are doing on the other side of the country, might be interesting to know. Unless they are going to hike it over to my place and help me with the gardens or crops, well, I really do not care what they are doing.

Communications has its place. But when it fails, have a back up already in place.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cadit » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 am

Well as most know; groups like AmRRON want be broadcasting all the time. If power is out, it will be scheduled broadcast at set times to conserve batter power. Most have adopted this same type of scheduling. But if you have more than enough power, by all means one can monitor the airways all they want. But most don't and will monitor their power usage. These rigs use a lot of power and batteries would need to be charger often. Thus the invent of solar power.

Some like myself will power up every four hours to with start, then like 3 to 4 times a day later to catch any news. Plus; there want be much farming during the winter months and a lot less work between the planting season and harvest season. I grew up on a 97 acre farm with all the other chores that had to be done. Cows, chickens, pigs, goats, dogs, a horse or two, just to name a few. But; Until one has plowed with a single-tree and a mule, you haven't farmed, or a barn raising over a week-end.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Xerxes » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 am

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell

gclub
Xerxes

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:31 am

Cadit wrote:Well as most know; groups like AmRRON want be broadcasting all the time. If power is out, it will be scheduled broadcast at set times to conserve batter power. Most have adopted this same type of scheduling. But if you have more than enough power, by all means one can monitor the airways all they want. But most don't and will monitor their power usage. These rigs use a lot of power and batteries would need to be charger often. Thus the invent of solar power.

Some like myself will power up every four hours to with start, then like 3 to 4 times a day later to catch any news. Plus; there want be much farming during the winter months and a lot less work between the planting season and harvest season. I grew up on a 97 acre farm with all the other chores that had to be done. Cows, chickens, pigs, goats, dogs, a horse or two, just to name a few. But; Until one has plowed with a single-tree and a mule, you haven't farmed, or a barn raising over a week-end.

Sounds like a whole lot of money, time, effort, and energy that could be used for other things.

Using a scythe, a rake, I made and bagged ninety days of hay for my goats.
All hand tools. All by myself.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cadit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am

Well; not so much money but there are some preps involved. But face it; Comms is like trying to have safe sex with out the condom. You live with fear. I want to know if there's something headed my way so I can prepare to either stay or bug out. What good is 25 years of food if you're dead? And you know if you bug out and have no bug-out location to go to, You're not carrying all that food with you, so its a loss again. I would much rather know what's headed my way and if need be; leave and live, than not know and stay and maybe die. But of course you may be missed all together and not suffer at all, nor be in danger. Its a flip of the coin as they say.

But as they say; preps are all those facets; Food, Water, Shelter, Protection and Comms. First Protection, then Water, then Shelter, then Food, and last Comms. Water no so costly, food can be in the thousands, Shelter from under a hundred to thousands, Guns in the thousands or can be only a few hundred, Comms a few hundred to thousands. All my comms is less that 500. HF, VHF, UHF, FRS, GMRS and CB's of course. I can and do communicate once a month with family and friends, plus my group with each of these mediums. This way I know I can check on them in case of an emergency.

If power is out, I use Solar to keep my batteries charged. I'm still only in the beginner stage I feel, but one thing service taught me was to be prepared for the unexpected. Four Hurricanes and one Tornado later and I know one should be prepared.

Good Tidings and Safe Journey for all. And keep those chats coming, it helps all the old hats, and the newbies also.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby woodchipper518 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Well said..Cadit.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Return to A.N.T.S.