• Advertisement

One Second After

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

One Second After

Postby Cadit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Guys & Gals:

In the book by William Forstchen, One Second After; if this happened today and you were away from home, what two items would you want to have with you? Plus: like in the book by A. American, Going Home. What would be your gear and out fit?

Me; my Tomahawk and a Lifestraw for the first. I could kill & clean my food, defend myself with the Tomahawk. The Lifestraw I would have my water. All the other things could be gotten during my travels. And in the second; My Go-Bag and my weapons; Tomahawks and AR.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: One Second After

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Funny you're mentioning both these titles right now...I just finished a re-read of both recently.

Me...Hmmm.

#1...Realistically...My Glock 19 with of course my spare mags(EDC).....and currency(as in my gold & silver American Eagles, and 1-2K cash...also EDC).....Reason being I could properly defend myself(I'm not proficient with a tomahawk And I dont relish the idea of having a distance threat and having to relinquish my weapon on a single threat with a throw when multiples are going to be assumed)...The currency would equip me with knife, water, food, filter, extra ammo, bag, and bike transport as we all know acting immediately(Purchases) in that environment are a mandatory.

I also have a knife and light in my EDC along with lock picks but you only said 2 so I'd have to make some shims and buy the light for this scenario.

#2...The same as you.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rickdun » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Well, for the first one - 10/22 take down and life straw and for the second - my get home bag that has mre's and .45 acp with ammo/mags
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Today?

Permafrost's sled & his sled team. 8-12" of snow and 0 degrees tonite.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby ajax727 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

# 1 life straw and my single action 30 cal . or my S&W 38 .
# 2 My backpack out of my truck , and my ape gun from under the back seat . Ape gun is 40 cal and auto is 40 cal that is in the backpack with ammo and mags for both . The other gear in the back pack should allow me to survive and make it home .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby NJMike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

For #1, today and right now, I'd be happy with one item outside of clothing, a bicycle. I'd be home in an hour and a half, allowing an extra 15 minutes for any needed detouring or caution. That's better than a 4-5 hour walk w/my backpack of stuff.

For #2, my civilian style get home backpack and contents.

Quick comment on water filters, since I see a lot of Lifestraw mentions. I have a Lifestraw, but it's rated for just 1000 liters, which is only 264 gallons and the original is setup for direct drinking only. The Sawyer Mini (.1 micron) has a lifespan of 100,000 gallons, is smaller, and in addition to direct straw use can attach easily to hydration bladder tubing, or most plastic water and soda bottles that will be readily available as empties. A Mini in my bag, or a Point ZeroTwo at home, are my go to water filters.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

My GHB (get home bag), which I always carry, I even keep a small one in our little car which we only drive on sunny Sundays.

Maybe cheating since the GHB bag contains a lot of stuff but it's always with me. The 2nd item would be my pocket pistol which is always in the glovebox if it's not in my pocket.

By chance I grew up in the town where One Second After occurs and William Forstein duplicates the town and some of the people in the town exactly right down to the BBQ place and gas station owners personalities. A few things have changed since the book was written but the book is as accurate as possible including the geography the town sits in.

The author is friends with 2 of my brothers and really was a professor at Montreat Collage.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:52 am

NJMike wrote:
Quick comment on water filters, since I see a lot of Lifestraw mentions. I have a Lifestraw, but it's rated for just 1000 liters, which is only 264 gallons and the original is setup for direct drinking only. The Sawyer Mini (.1 micron) has a lifespan of 100,000 gallons, is smaller, and in addition to direct straw use can attach easily to hydration bladder tubing, or most plastic water and soda bottles that will be readily available as empties. A Mini in my bag, or a Point ZeroTwo at home, are my go to water filters.

You are dead on my friend....Off topic here but deserved mention.....

The sawyer mini not only has better specs( 0.1 micron and 100,000G) it only cost about $1 more.

Lifestraw has really good marketing campaigns but is actually inferior....Either way something is better than nothing but the Saywer is definitely a "One upper"

I love the fact Cadit keeps us as active as he does with all these post as they're not only fun but they're really drills to make you think. :thumbup:
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am

First, an observation on Lifestraws: I liked the idea of a Lifestraw. Made sense.
Until we had a drought two years ago.
Streams, creeks, ponds that would have provided water, went dry.
As far as I could assess looking at maps on Google, I would be required to hump an extra half a mile to a full two or more miles out of my way to get to water, going through heavy brush, woodlands. Even further if I took the roads.

Since then, I have switched to a Platypus gravity filtration unit. 3L of water, following standard USMC SOP, hump for fifty minutes, rest for ten, hydrate. I can range for three hours before needing refill.
That would also get me half way home, with no detours to locate water.

The wife and I keep a go-back packs in the vehicles and adjust it for the seasons accordingly. Standard items are a first aid kit, a good knife, Blast Match, water filtration unit, some snacks/trail mix/jerky, small multi-fuel camp stove and mess kit.
Seasonal summer items include bug juice, chap stick, wide brim cover, sun block, sun glasses, and a poncho.
Winter items include extra expedition wool socks, performance base layers, snow pants, a Balaclava, snow cap, sun glasses, expedition gloves and a military surplus N-3B Parka.

I am probably forgetting half a dozen things.

If an event like One Second After took place while I was at work today, I would want my go-back pack and snowshoes.
Yesterday morning it was 9 degrees, with a daytime high of 15 degrees, single digits when the wind chill is taken in account. It was sunny but it could change at any time.
Assuming I could fill my water bladder before leaving work, I would keep it in between my base layers and my outer layers. Add snow when half full and let my body heat melt and warm the water.
Despite it being winter and cold, you can easily become a heat case, dehydrated from the exertion of humping it home without proper water intake.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cadit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the reply's; they're great. Didn't know about the Sawyer Mini, but will look into that now. As for Bill, I know him also, we use to belong to the same treasure hunting club back in the day (1990's). He has always been a professor as long as I've known him. Hadn't talked with him in a long time, don't know if he still treasure hunts. He was the clubs historian. Great guy and fellow TH'er.

But back to the chat and comments, they have given me some ideas. Thanks again.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 pm

If I were at work, then I'd want my "Get Home Bag" (which has just about everything I'd need to get me home) and my "car pistol"
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Permafrost » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 am

Blondie wrote:Today?

Permafrost's sled & his sled team. 8-12" of snow and 0 degrees tonite.

Want to trade? It was mid 20's today and above freezing yesterday. It has been hovering just above or just below freezing for a while now. I am like 100 miles from the arctic circle and it has only been below zero a few times all winter, there is no river ice. If this keeps up I'll have to scrap the trapping season and get a real job in town.

Cadit, what do you hunt with a tomahawk?

As to the questions.
I would want my MSR water filter and my .22 takedown. I generally have much more with me but I think these are the most important in any season.

Never read going home, but from the title I think I get the gist. I would want my whole trail set-up, freight sleds and snowmachine and all, they are packed and waiting for river ice so I can go to work out at the cabin. The long distance trail set-up includes stuff like a sleeping bag & tarps as well as ropes & come-a-long & ice screws and things like tools and spare parts. If at the cabin I would want my dogs and dog sled.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.