• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Your Two Most Important Skills or Abilities

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Your Two Most Important Skills or Abilities

Postby Cadit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Greetings All:

I have read and talked among our prepper group that the two most important things to have or the ability. We always come up with a number of different views in this matter. I myself think: First and foremost is to be in the best physical & Healthy shape you can, then have the right mind-set. Neglecting these two points will most likely lead to ones death & perhaps members in your group also.

Now I know that there are many other facets that can be as if not greater in these types of performance abilities, not only for you, but your family and the group you are in. So; what's your view, what two skills or abilities do you think are most important. Because after I retired, I became a fat butterball. Not like that now, but it doesn't take much to lose that edge.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Your Two Most Important Skills or Abilities

Postby NJMike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm of the mind that what's important to know depends on what's happened, happening, and likely to happen.

If SHTF and you're in the midst of a lot of people, then People Skills and Situational Awareness are going to potentially be in the top running for immediate need.

If SHTF when you're in the midst of wilderness, then Bushcraft and Environmental Survival skills are most needed immediately.

If SHTF and it's a war zone, then it could be Evasion and First Aid.

If SHTF in a natural disaster, perhaps Comms and First Aid.

If SHTF from hyperinflation, it could be Haggling and Stock Piling.

If SHTF, and it's a pandemic, then Medical and Pandemic Preparedness.

If SHTF, and there's a food shortage, then Farming and Gardening.

Personally I dabble in a little bit of everything. I value the ability to relate what is known or learned to the situation. My top two would thus be generically Situational Awareness and Adaptiveness, which for me translates into first understanding what is going on and then adapting/evolving to respond to it.

I do agree health and fitness is very important. However, a fit person without the ability to recognize and respond is still as likely to be casualty as the unfit depending on the circumstances.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Cadit wrote:Greetings All:

I have read and talked among our prepper group that the two most important things to have or the ability. We always come up with a number of different views in this matter. I myself think: First and foremost is to be in the best physical & Healthy shape you can, then have the right mind-set. Neglecting these two points will most likely lead to ones death & perhaps members in your group also.

Now I know that there are many other facets that can be as if not greater in these types of performance abilities, not only for you, but your family and the group you are in. So; what's your view, what two skills or abilities do you think are most important. Because after I retired, I became a fat butterball. Not like that now, but it doesn't take much to lose that edge.

I concur with your assessment.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

I think the most important asset is old age.
We've spent countless yrs doing and learning about everything. We were around when boy Scouts actually did scouting. A large share of us grew up rural and on farms. We've had enough troubles that not much gets us excited to teh point of panic. A lot of use were in the Armed Forces and have seen some tough things. We have developed common sense and the ability to sort things out in an intelligent way quickly.

Now I'm not saying I have any or all of these attributes but young guys need to pay attention to us old guys.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm

As stated above it is what might happen and being able to adapt . Some of us have been through some type of crap and we are still here . So being a jack of all trades and or skills would be an ability . I have seen people freak out before and they were just useless they just could not handle what had happened , be it a gun shot wound a knife wound or a tragic hunting accident or farming accident the list goes on and on . So it would seem that knowledge would be most important . Like I was told when I was a kid "when you stop learning is when they through dirt in your face an say a few kind words ''.
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 pm

For me, my two most important skills/abilities would be the ability to asses/analyze the situation, and the knowledge/skills to respond with competence and not have a "meltdown". (I save the "meltdowns" for AFTER the situation is over, and things have calmed down. For ongoing situations, I just deal with it.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby woodchipper518 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Mindset is the first thing we demand in anyone we consider for a member. Second is adaptability flexibility teachability.

I don't have gardening skills but I can grow things and tend to them. I can learn more
I'm a good cook but I'm not a cook for a community of people. But I can be.
I'm solid on psych counseling and pastoral care plus I have trauma training but I'm nit a MD. But I can be a medic
I'm not young enough to be a good forager/ scavenger but I can provide security and over watch for a team.
I might not be the best at clearing a house but I can secure it
I'm not a gunsmith but I can clean and fix every weapon I own. I can become a gunsmith asst.
I cannot be a water bearer/gathered but I can handle water treatment and storage.
I know leather working so I ca learn clothes making and repair.
I may not be able to dig a latrine but I can clean one and understand the importance of waste management.
I can lead but I can also follow.

It's the knowitalls and ego warriors that are difficult. We have one fringe person that we know but cannot let him in because he is a knowitall and has to lead. We don't trust him to be a team player. In a real SHTF situation, we'd probably adopt him but it would be on a probation status. No voting rights.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Both the hubs and I have placed physical fitness as our 2018 goal/priority.

Hubs - people skills, his careers have been dealing with people. He can communicate and relate very well with folks from different backgrounds. He has pretty good situational awareness, great shooter and problem solver.

Me - I am well read on many topics - jack of all trades, master of none accept for household management. Gardening, food preservation/preparation, chickens, basic first aid and medical that I've learned over the years. Hubs says I'm level headed and I'm a hard worker.

Nothing fantastic but we will do our best, we plan to band together as a community here and there are many that have the homesteader/prepper mindset here.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 pm

oldasrocks wrote:I think the most important asset is old age.
We've spent countless yrs doing and learning about everything. We were around when boy Scouts actually did scouting. A large share of us grew up rural and on farms. We've had enough troubles that not much gets us excited to teh point of panic. A lot of use were in the Armed Forces and have seen some tough things. We have developed common sense and the ability to sort things out in an intelligent way quickly.

Now I'm not saying I have any or all of these attributes but young guys need to pay attention to us old guys.

Well if you ask me, the important thing to make sure to do in your old age is to stay in good shape, both physically and mentally. Be at your physical and mental prime and take it to the grave, whenever that might be. But I do agree with much of what you say. Respect your elders.
Photon Guy

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Cadit wrote:Greetings All:

The right mindset is often regarded as the most important skill. I once went to an outdoor survival class and they told us that the most important factor in survival is attitude. After that comes knowledge. I agree. Attitude is most crucial followed closely by knowledge and skill.
Photon Guy

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:44 pm

IceFire wrote:For me, my two most important skills/abilities would be the ability to asses/analyze the situation, and the knowledge/skills to respond with competence and not have a "meltdown". (I save the "meltdowns" for AFTER the situation is over, and things have calmed down. For ongoing situations, I just deal with it.)

I don't think having a meltdown has any benefit or place when it comes to survival. After the situation is over and things start to return to normal there is no reason to have a meltdown because everything is getting better and if anything you feel relief. Im thinking specifically of Hurricane Sandy, I was in the area hit by it and after everything returned to normal, after we got electricity and all the gas stations opened back up and so forth, we were all relieved and happy that everything was getting better. When you mentioned meltdowns I immediately thought of all the Hillary fans and their meltdowns when she lost the presidential election, they were certainly not survivalists.
Photon Guy

Postby sageprice » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Forager, Teacher, minimalist camper, Technician. I know enough to survive, thrive and be dangerous
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:56 am

Photon Guy wrote:
IceFire wrote:For me, my two most important skills/abilities would be the ability to asses/analyze the situation, and the knowledge/skills to respond with competence and not have a "meltdown". (I save the "meltdowns" for AFTER the situation is over, and things have calmed down. For ongoing situations, I just deal with it.)

I don't think having a meltdown has any benefit or place when it comes to survival. After the situation is over and things start to return to normal there is no reason to have a meltdown because everything is getting better and if anything you feel relief. Im thinking specifically of Hurricane Sandy, I was in the area hit by it and after everything returned to normal, after we got electricity and all the gas stations opened back up and so forth, we were all relieved and happy that everything was getting better. When you mentioned meltdowns I immediately thought of all the Hillary fans and their meltdowns when she lost the presidential election, they were certainly not survivalists.

I think you misunderstand when I say "meltdown" (or maybe I just wasn't being clear) For me, the "meltdown" is the natural body reaction when the adrenaline that has kept you moving/going subsides, and the reaction sets in. For me, it's not tears, or the screaming hissy fits; it's the "shakes" and sudden weakness that hits when the adrenaline that carried you through the crisis drops.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:05 am

I don't think meltdowns are a sign of weakness except when it happens during an event when you need to keep it together or that BS with people not getting their way ( those are temper tantrums in my book).

The first time a group has to fight off a band of thugs and there are losses of life, perhaps on both sides, there will be meltdowns afterward. People will have to come to the realization that life has changed and people will die. It's ok to have release of emotion- it's human.

I am also familiar with the shakes after an adrenaline pumping event. That will scare some folks and "melt downs" will occur.

Most folks who have melt downs will benefit from that release and move on to be stronger. I don't necessarily see it as a sign of weakness.

My 2 cents,

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby Halmic73 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I have a number of skills but the two I consider most important are
1, good observation skills
2, I'm a fast learner

You see, as mentioned before it is difficult to be prepared for any and everything but if I am an astute observer to identify my surrounding and a quick learner I can survive the situation at hand.
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.