• Advertisement

Ranges

Topics about guns

Ranges

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 pm

This morning I was standing in line at my local TSC.

On the magazine rack next to the register, I noticed a publication called "Recoil." It appears to be some kind of SHTF, prepper, gun enthusiasts, periodical.

Note: I have not bought a guns or gun related periodical in a number of years, likely since Guns and Ammo had their "Zombie Nation," edition.
Need I say more?

Continuing, I bought this magazine as I wanted to see what was out there.

Most of it I immediately dismissed as tacti-cool, a few of the fire arms reviews were interesting, but the one that really caught my eye was the article about individuals who tried to open their own ranges for long range shooting and the like.
They got a lot of local push back.

That said, I do believe in realistic shooting, with your firearm, at given ranges.
Where I live, no one really cares if you shoot. Part and parcel with a small rural area.
But some may beg to differ, as was highlighted in the article.

I also have to comment on the OPSEC of running a range, or even shooting in your local area.
You may be giving away your capabilities or hardware to those around you.

Training with a .22LR or even a air rifle just might be a better bet, using scaled targets.

Something to consider.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: Ranges

Postby handyman777 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 am

This is a good idea to train with a 22LR or an air rifle at scaled targets like you say (OPSEC of course) only problem I (myself) find is that no one firearm shoots the same as the other. It would seem that you should practice with your go-to firearm as much as possible, I have some that are identical and they don't shoot the same. Once sighted in properly yes but they all have there own
(personality !!??) is that the word I'm looking for.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Re: Ranges

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Here in the "Peoples Republic" we have a significant lack in this area...There are a few, very distant options that's are just highly regulated to the point of it being more hassle that their worth as long range options. BLM Land would be the most forgiving but even there the distance I need to drive makes it almost not worth it.

Combined with being a semi-loner(enjoying family time and church on the weekends/Not a lot of same-minded enthusiast in my small group of friends) makes it hard for me to trek out to BFE and get any consistent time gaining reliable skills in this area in a non-paid for arena....3 gun and long range classes seems to be the best area for me on this unfortunately. That's getting expensive and I took about a 70% hit in income this year even though I'm extremely blessed still...100yrd ranges tends to be the norm local or up to 300 if I'm willing to drive 2 hours...(Sigh)....fitting that in on a semi-frequent basis to build any actual skill level seems as distant as the actual targets in discussion here.

It is what it is but giving up a full day of precious family time with a 2yr old after a grind work week really keeps me off range these days and I'm really feeling it....

Open to any suggestions in this area that I might not have thought of already for some good distance practice in the Southern Peoples Republic of Commie-fornication.....

I'm good to go in all types for CQB and out to about 100yrds for everything under the sun......I'm talking 200-500+ here......30.06, .223, .556, ....Yes, I've read lots of course(doesn't mean a damn under trigger), but I'm wondering yous all's inputs here on this here conundrum I be finding meeeselfs in from anyone else that may have also in the past...lol.

input appreciated...thx all.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Return to Guns