• Advertisement

Composting Toilet

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Composting Toilet

Postby RossA » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Several years ago my wife visited a sustainable farm outside of Houston. The house had a toilet which flushed into a system outside of the house and flowed down hill. At several different levels there was a catch tank where there would be plants, worms, or other materials which would digest the waste and by the time everything reached a pond at the bottom she swears that there was absolutely no odor of any human waste left and the water was clean. The owners of the farm mentioned a book which gave instructions for building such a system, and my wife seems to remember that the author was named Anne Edy. We have done a search online and can’t find any books by her, although there are some other books on composting toilets.
Does anyone have any experience with these downhill flowing waste systems which clean the waste at several different levels organically and leave everything clean at the end? Are there any resources on how to build them or does anyone know a book by Anne Edy on the subject?

Thanks in advance.
RossA

Re: Composting Toilet

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Perhaps Mother Earth News magazine?

But let me take a different angle. I've seen septic systems built from everything from 55 gallon barrels to a old pot bellied wood stove. Add some field drain lines and you're good. I've seen people run their clothes washers, showers, and sink drains out 100+ feet from the house to reduce the load on their septic system. With a well functioning septic system dirt from the clothes washer is often what ends up filling them.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby sageprice » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm

SOLVIVA www.solviva.com/
unfortunately The author has pasted but the work is carried on
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:06 pm

What we opted to do was have the toilet, bathroom sink and back porch utility sink go into the septic. They wanted enough water flowing through so we added the utility sink.
The shower, washer and kitchen sink flow out to a barrel system that flows away from the house into the woods.
I put Ridex in the toilet and in the kitchen sink just to facilitate the break down of the materials. And we do not use bleach products that may upset the natural balance in the systems. I also don't put "pee" paper in the toilet or those flushable wipes.
So we were told our system should last indefinitely without having to be pumped. We shall see I guess but I sure hope we don't have any problems should the SHTF - no pun intended! :rofl:

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby RossA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 am

Solviva. That’s it! Thanks
RossA

Return to DIY and How-To