• Advertisement

Bug out drill

Please Introduce Yourself Here!

Bug out drill

Postby mtcarl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Have you tried your Bug Out Drill in the snow?
mtcarl

Re: Bug out drill

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:22 pm

I've gone on long road trips and when I do I usually bring my BOB and other important supplies, and some of these trips have been during the winter in the snow so you could say I have.
Photon Guy

Postby mtcarl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:34 pm

That's good. I also have a BOB in my trucks and the work truck, all year long.

I was thinking about a Bug out Drill to the Bug out Location, across rivers, bridges, passes
through towns, looking for gas a midnight and rest stops..(in cold-snowy weather...
mtcarl

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:31 pm

mtcarl wrote:That's good. I also have a BOB in my trucks and the work truck, all year long.

I was thinking about a Bug out Drill to the Bug out Location, across rivers, bridges, passes
through towns, looking for gas a midnight and rest stops..(in cold-snowy weather...

As of right now I don't have a Bug Out Location. In the event of a crisis I will most likely hunker down. If I do have to leave my hunker down location than I will bug out to any safe area I can get to although in a situation like that I would probably want not a BOB but an INCH bag, something I've yet to put together.
Photon Guy

Postby daaswampman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Snow? I saw a few flakes years ago and light frost once or twice. Mud - YES and it does complicate things. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:37 pm

More like hot and humid being a larger challenge in my area and areas I travel in.

GHBs we all carry are more suited towards hiking a day or 3 during warm weather (over 40 degrees) with lots of fluids and water purification. Still we all carry boots, wool socks, ect in the vehicles. Bug out location is our rural home so we know which way to travel.

Primary challenge for a few of us is just plain 'ol being in crappy shape. I doesn't manner that I could run a sub 3 hr marathon 25 years ago. We're not too old but instead of hiking 20+ miles a day a few of us may be closer to 15 miles a day.

As far as deep snow goes I was "super backpacker" who spent months learning not to "posthole" in deep snow. Others in the group are less experienced in deep snow.

But I'll post some thoughts on "bugging out" in a different thread tonight.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:33 pm

It's icy and snowing outside so we're having a bug-in drill. We not going out except the feed the animals. If it gets too bad too long we could run out of food by Thanksgiving.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 pm

We will only "bug in" since we live at our "bug out" location. But winter does present it's challenges. Mainly keeping water to the livestock, so hauling water and breaking ice a lot of the winter. We have a wood stove, so we stay busy keeping it fed. Because of the way our property sits, the only effective mode of transportation on it is walking or horseback. So I have a pack I wear with all my supplies and tools I need to do stuff, modified for winter of course! Since I have to be out in the weather all the time, one figures out pretty quick what works and what doesn't.
Stahlrosen

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:38 pm

You're much colder than I am but we love "pond" heaters to keep the ice reduced on the water troughs. But they do burn the electricity,

Growing up I despised trying to get the ice off the water buckets. We had 2 buckets per stall so we could swap out for an ice free bucket daily. I'm sure it' much more of a problem where you guys live,
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Permafrost » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:49 am

I would shudder to think what would happen if we had to bug out right now. With the warm temps the river ice has not set and we can not get to our cabin. Right now I should already have a trail in for the overland sections and be on my trap line, but I am still waiting until it is safe to travel on the river ice. In a normal winter I would relish the thought of bugging out, as most of my life in the winter is spent on a snowmachine hauling freight or trapping, but the last few years have been a real challenge with the warm temps and the late freeze. I am still trying to come up with both a new bug out plan and a transportation option for trapping because the rivers in are no longer a option until at least January, and if it gets any worse it may be even longer.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:14 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:You're much colder than I am but we love "pond" heaters to keep the ice reduced on the water troughs. But they do burn the electricity,

Growing up I despised trying to get the ice off the water buckets. We had 2 buckets per stall so we could swap out for an ice free bucket daily. I'm sure it' much more of a problem where you guys live,

The problem here is a lot of the areas we don't have power to. It's 300 yds to the horses, and 100yds to the chickens. Most of the reason for being so spread out is the lay of the property, so any almost flat spot that would support something (ie: the chicken pen or stalls) is where it ended up. I don't mind it, I mean it is a bit of work, but we chose this where we live, and it is how we have to manage things.
Stahlrosen

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:14 am

Hard to find snow down here in the south. We have practiced it once before we moved to our BOL. It added about an hour drive time to get to our BOL from our normal way of using the interstate and 4 lane roads.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby mtcarl » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh yes, also add -5% weather, Ice and 5" of snow, chains on all four and a 5 x 8 trailer..
This is possible a point of OOPS..
Put we deal with what we have.
mtcarl

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 am

Snow and ice storms are nothing new around here.
Everyone should have at least two weeks of food on hand if not more.

If something were to happen, and I had to hike it home from work, I have it covered. The wife and I keep bug out bags in the vehicles, especially in the winter. Wool socks, base layers, good boots, snow pants, snow jacket and good gloves.

Be slow going, but I could hike it home.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:33 am

Stahlrosen wrote:We will only "bug in" since we live at our "bug out" location. But winter does present it's challenges. Mainly keeping water to the livestock, so hauling water and breaking ice a lot of the winter. We have a wood stove, so we stay busy keeping it fed. Because of the way our property sits, the only effective mode of transportation on it is walking or horseback. So I have a pack I wear with all my supplies and tools I need to do stuff, modified for winter of course! Since I have to be out in the weather all the time, one figures out pretty quick what works and what doesn't.

Have you considered hay?

We bury the livestock water buckets in hay about half way up. insulates the bucket, keeps the water ice free except when it gets down into the single digits. Even then, it is usually a thin layer of ice, easily broken up.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Next

Return to Check In Here Montana Preppers