• Advertisement

Entitled people don't follow instructions:

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Entitled people don't follow instructions:

Postby daaswampman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Entitled people don't follow instructions because they see them as 'unfair'

[snip]

Recent research found people with a greater sense of entitlement are less likely to follow instructions than less entitled people are, because they view the instructions as an unfair imposition on them.

Scientists already know entitled people -- technically, individuals with a higher sense of entitlement -- are more likely to believe they deserve preferences and resources that others don't and that they are less concerned about what is socially acceptable or beneficial. For authors Emily Zitek (Cornell University) and Alexander Jordan (Harvard Medical School), understanding the reasons for their behavior could lead to solutions as well.

"The fact that there are a lot of complaints these days about having to deal with entitled students and entitled employees," says Zitek, "suggests the need for a solution."

Zitek and Jordan conducted a series of studies, first to see who was more likely to avoid following instructions in a word search. After establishing that people who scored high on measures of entitled personality were less likely to follow instructions, they provided a set of scenarios to try to understand why the entitled individuals ignore the instructions: selfishness, control, or punishment. But none of these affected the outcomes; entitled people still wouldn't follow instructions.

The researchers were surprised that it was so hard to get entitled individuals to follow instructions.

"We thought that everyone would follow instructions when we told people that they would definitely get punished for not doing so, but entitled individuals still were less likely to follow instructions than less entitled individuals," said Zitek.

A final set of experiments, exploring fairness, finally got to the reason: "Entitled people do not follow instructions because they would rather take a loss themselves than agree to something unfair," wrote the authors.

"A challenge for managers, professors, and anyone else who needs to get people with a sense of entitlement to follow instructions is to think about how to frame the instructions to make them seem fairer or more legitimate," said Zitek.

Zitek and Jordan write that organizations and societies run more smoothly when people are willing to follow instructions.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 121733.htm

"We thought that everyone would follow instructions when we told people that they would definitely get punished for not doing so, but entitled individuals still were less likely to follow instructions than less entitled individuals,"

A final set of experiments, exploring fairness, finally got to the reason: "Entitled people do not follow instructions because they would rather take a loss themselves than agree to something unfair,"

Something worth knowing if you ever decide to waste your time and "REASON" with people during or following a crisis. Same for warning signs and threats! Save your breath and reload! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Entitled people don't follow instructions:

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:26 am

LMAO, been saying that for years. Sometime in my 30's i finally learned that it is a waste of time trying to reason with or have a discussion with the vast majority of those folks.

Nice post.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Permafrost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 pm

daaswampman wrote:Scientists already know entitled people -- technically, individuals with a higher sense of entitlement -- are more likely to believe they deserve preferences and resources that others don't and that they are less concerned about what is socially acceptable or beneficial.

That is a interesting interpretation of entitled. I know many people who care little for what is socially acceptable or beneficial for society, but I would put them in a whole different class from someone who is, say, some form of "public assistance". Does a subsistence hunter think he has a greater entitlement to the game where he lives than some rich hunter who does not need the meat, sure. Does a farmer think he is entitled to the water under his land so he can grow his crops instead of having it pumped out and sent to a mega-city, sure. I'm not sure I would consider either of these people "entitled" in the liberal sense, even though they care little for what the societal benefit may be for those wanting to "redistribute" resources.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Perm: You make an interesting point. Much depends on where you are and your experiences in life.

I am Native American, but have not lived on a reservation since I was an infant. I believe reservations have done more harm than good for my people and have had many bitter discussions with family.

Some believe they have an inherent right to certain pieces of real estate because of their DNA and I don't. For those who stayed on the land I can see their point, but for those like me I disagree.

Hunting is a huge issue down here. Many believe they have a "right" to hunt, but they have few "places" to hunt. As a land owner, it has been a constant conflict between my property rights and those who think they can hunt anywhere they see game.

I doubt everyone will ever agree on anything, but it is worth understanding the mindset. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Permafrost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 am

I am becoming a believer that nobody will ever agree on anything, but I thought I would comment on the very loose metric they used for their definition.

Hunting rights are huge for me as well as a landowner, although I claim a little more land than I own on paper because I am there and use it all and look after it. I will also be the first to admit that I do feel entitled to this, though I am not sure if this is right or wrong. I know I got extremely upset last year when I saw a hunter I did not know on the 30 mile stretch of river I consider "mine", some rich guy in a $50,000 boat who was trophy hunting, when I was out just trying to fill my freezer with the first moose I saw. I got a little angry because I had put in the work planting moose browse and clearing underbrush for fire breaks, and all he could say was that he had the same rights as I did. I suppose it depends on your point of view on who is right, him by the sole virtue of the fact that he is a live human being or me by the virtue of the fact that I have cared for the land & animals by planting food in areas and removing fire hazards in others. One of these days I suppose a court will decide, and probably not in my favor.

P.S. I don't read instructions that often.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am

wow...Quick, Deep discussion point that's making me think early AM!...Perm, you made a really damn good point.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather