• Advertisement

Odd Happenings With the Power Company??

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Odd Happenings With the Power Company??

Postby Mollypup » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 am

I'm aware power companies shut off power occasionally from time to time for probably a list of reasons. Most often is during hot weather when the demand is exceptionally high.

But It has never been my experience in my entire adult life to have them do this in the middle of winter during a particular cold spell. However DP&L sent out a bulletin warning customers they were shutting down power from 12/28 at midnight until 12/29 at 4 am. The current temp in the area is 16 degrees with a windchill of 5 degrees. The warning started at 12/28 at 3:54 pm - 12/29 at 6:56 pm for an entire County in Ohio. (unsure if other counties are affected, I don't have DP&L & no notifications from mine....and I'm not in that county)

During winter? No. While this didn't affect me, I've been one of their customers for years in the past.....and never, not once in winter. Never an entire flipping county.

Odd.

Makes you wonder the reason why as it's not stated in the alert nor on their web page.

It can get pretty damn cold in a house with no heat in such temps rather quickly.

I only just saw this alert on my facebook feed a short while ago, passed on via a friend. I hadn't been on facebook all night, so when my friend posted it 6 hrs ago I didn't see it. I check fb when I get online & went I'm about to shut the computer down before bed.

Not sure why I'm posting but it just doesn't feel right. Testing? Repair (but a whole county??) Maybe trying to protect the grid? wth? Someone hack into their system?

However I will say, having been one of their customers in the past for years, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can spit.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Re: Odd Happenings With the Power Company??

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:50 am

that is strange - we had a planned power outage canceled this fall because of the heat ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Mollypup » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Found something on local news.

Seems DP&L stated to customers it was for transformer maintenance.

Except I've never known them to do said maintenance in such weather conditions, unless it was an emergency.

Even the local news finds it odd & is looking deeper into it. Hmm.

Also found out it wasn't just one county they service but two. Makes it even odder still.

****Edited to add: in yet another county ( adjoining the ones mentioned in above) power was out for hours yesterday with no explanation. Counties are now 3; Montgomery, Clinton, and Highland I've contacted one friend who knows someone on the company crew, they do NOT do such things in the middle of the night in winter. She's certain they had to have been hacked. Same thing I'm being told from someone who works the crew for AEP.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TimWhite » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:27 pm

We've basically had the same thing going on here in east central Illinois and parts of west central Indiana. Also for maintenance
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm

TimWhite wrote:We've basically had the same thing going on here in east central Illinois and parts of west central Indiana. Also for maintenance

Hmmm.

Interesting.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:44 pm

I've posted this before on other threads but I believe there's more hacking than we've been told about - definitely.

Another thought though, they could be putting in some Faraday type reinforcements and cannot wait til better weather. Especially with North Korean threat of an EMP, they may be racing against time to get these safety features in place.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:I've posted this before on other threads but I believe there's more hacking than we've been told about - definitely.

Another thought though, they could be putting in some Faraday type reinforcements and cannot wait til better weather. Especially with North Korean threat of an EMP, they may be racing against time to get these safety features in place.

Mrs FP

You may be right. (I hope so)
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby kenjabroni » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 am

If they were actually putting in farraday cages, they waited until a terrible time and they would have to spend the money to do so. I know Trump wants to put money out there to improve infrastructure but it hasnt happened yet. I doubt these power companies would do it just for giggles. NK has been acting up a lot, not just in the last week or two so I doubt that would be a reason. The hacking on the other hand is a real possibility. Its crazy that so much of our power is so poorly secured that it can be taken offline fairly easily and in many ways.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:30 am

I didn't discount hacking - in fact it was my first thought.

I don't think any business is gonna fortify for "giggles" but you just might have someone who is "aware" and wanting to do something. I find it interesting that it just seems to be in specific areas/regions. This subject has been tossed around for some time, since the (now defunct) EMP Commission. And Ted Koppel's book which outlined a lot of this in detail. Maybe, just maybe someone decided to do something. Think of how good they would come out IF something really did happen. You never know and nothing can be completely dismissed.

Just saying,

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby Halmic73 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm

If the work is for hardening, which it appears that it is, one of the questions I would ask is; "What facilities does the affected area serve?"

If this is for hacking protection or EMP protection there might be some secret or special military/government/black ops facilities that would need the power since backup systems usually do not supply power indefinitely. The lead time for delivery of high voltage transformers is in excess of 6 months, sometimes even measured in years.

Happy New Year!
Stay safe
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Halmic73 wrote:If the work is for hardening, which it appears that it is, one of the questions I would ask is; "What facilities does the affected area serve?"

If this is for hacking protection or EMP protection there might be some secret or special military/government/black ops facilities that would need the power since backup systems usually do not supply power indefinitely. The lead time for delivery of high voltage transformers is in excess of 6 months, sometimes even measured in years.

Happy New Year!
Stay safe

hardening???? - one in a million - had to be some absolute necessity to keep the system up .... shutting down the grid takes gooberment approval and this time of the year it can cost lives ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:45 pm

(Chuckle,) It has to with nature of the Physical power grid. Power cables st-reach when hot and contract when cold. This has been a problem especially with overheat power systems like light rail catenary systems. It take almost 60 days to tighten it in the summer and in th fall another to loosen it. Lines can snap in the winter and sag to the point of touching each other in the summer wind. Displays of shorted power lings are impressive. Broken lines are a real pain in the A** to repair in the cold though.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Halmic73 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:50 pm

I know the power system and the annual process for maintenance. The OP questioned the timing and the cause for the timing which hasn't been adequately explained yet. I posed options for the timing.
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Postby sageprice » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Halmic73 wrote:I know the power system and the annual process for maintenance. The OP questioned the timing and the cause for the timing which hasn't been adequately explained yet. I posed options for the timing.

Timing has only to do with sudden temp swings. I could make a fortune if I could predict the weather. A cold snap or a heat wave can happen anytime. Oh, I almost forgot. Inexperienced grid managers can also bring down power if they do not allow for load and source matching. Generator take time to phase match, even when they are computer controlled.
sageprice

Postby TRex2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 am

Halmic73 wrote:If the work is for hardening, which it appears that it is, one of the questions I would ask is; "What facilities does the affected area serve?"

Happy New Year!
Stay safe
That occurred to me after the the OP said the news didn't have a satisfactory answer. That said, any hardening done will only work if the plant, and all of the systems between the plant and the facility are hardened.

Illini Warrior wrote:hardening???? - one in a million - had to be some absolute necessity to keep the system up .... shutting down the grid takes gooberment approval and this time of the year it can cost lives ....
Not one in a million. They didn't shut the entire grid, they cut three counties. That is easy enough to make excuses for, so that they don't have to say they were doing it at the request of someone like DHS. Doing it when it doesn't make sense could be something to divert attention from the real reasons.

As for whether anyone will ever know, remember, terrorists took out a transformer site in California, and the power company and government managed to keep it secret for six months.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion