• Advertisement

Ice storm

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Ice storm

Postby founderant » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:59 am

Ice storm expected all along the east cost. Check your preps, make sure generators are ready for power outages.
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Re: Ice storm

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 am

all kinds of talk from the wakened sheeple types that are thinking they'll be finding emergency heating units to buy ....

baaaaaaaa - sorry guys but that's why we prep - we'll be ready ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am

Sadly we are heading to New York, Friday or Saturday. I may head out Friday with DIL,
DD, and grandson. It's an all wheel drive GMC, so hope it will be ok. We will be loaded
down, I intend to have water, warm clothes, food. Would like to take 5 gallons of gas
extra but would have to strap it on outside. I can see sitting in a blizzard somewhere.
It sounds like it is trekking further east so far, but we will be going through Erie, Pennsylvania
and up along the lakes to Watertown, so don't think it will be good. He needs to report
Monday and house closing is Monday. They are coming with 2 4 wheel drive trucks and
one will be pulling a loaded trailer and they are bringing the dog and cat. We have a
snow plow with us, but its on the trailer!!

Wish us luck.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby woodchipper518 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm

I just bought a couple of 55gal blue plastic barrels. How resilient are they to frozen temps and full of water? Should I be concerned about them splitting if full when the arctic temps hit. This question has nothing to do with the storm on the east coast. But it was 18 degrees this morning in N. Texas.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby NJMike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm

@Woodchipper- Water increases approximately 9% in volume as it expands when frozen, so to play it safe you may want to remove 5 gallons from each full barrel, as a 50 gallon volume with a 10% increase in frozen expanded volume gets one to 55 gallons. However, a larger volume of water takes a bit of time to freeze, and a 55 gallon drum is not the same as a 12oz water bottle freezing in a car overnight. If the drop in temperature to below freezing is hours vs. days or weeks then you may be ok. IF you do freeze a full barrel, I suspect a first point of failure may be the screw in bungs deforming and popping out. I haven't tested that assumption, but perhaps someone here has some first hand experience on it.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Yep we are ready for the snow / ice that may come here in N.C. . I purchased two more 100 lb. propane tanks and filled to have on hand , added 30 gals of gas for the generator . Talked to my BIL in SC they have snow now but we are still waiting on the foul weather .
To all in the path stay warn and dry .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

We missed it by the thinnest of margins, thank goodness. We've had really cold temps though for several days. We prepped over the weekend by checking pipes, getting propane, setting up lights in the pump house and chicken coop.

Stay warm everyone!

Mrs FP

PS - good luck to patriotic stablist and family
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Prayers for all those in the path (or heading into the path) of this storm. Stay safe and warm!
Stahlrosen

Postby JoyDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 pm

We wouldnt worry about it!
JoyDog

Postby Cin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 am

Stay warm, preppers.

We're not in the path of that one, but we've had 2 weeks of extremely cold weather. No precipitation, just clear and very, very cold. I feel blessed that there's no snow or ice.

We turned off the electric heater. The wood stove is warming us, and we have backup propane heat should we not be able to get out to get to the woodpile.

Plan A, B and C are in place. That's what prepping is all about. :)
Cin

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 am

woodchipper518 wrote:I just bought a couple of 55gal blue plastic barrels. How resilient are they to frozen temps and full of water? Should I be concerned about them splitting if full when the arctic temps hit. This question has nothing to do with the storm on the east coast. But it was 18 degrees this morning in N. Texas.

I can not speak to 55 gallon blue plastic barrels.

But my 5 gallon buckets I use for the live stock do not split when frozen.

One way we can keep them from freezing solid is to pack hay around them. If you have access to hay, something to consider.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Right now my heater system isn't working and a technician won't be in until tomorrow. Im burning firewood and I've got my propane heater. Im hoping I can get out today and get more firewood and propane but with the roads the way they are Im not sure.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Photon Guy wrote:Right now my heater system isn't working and a technician won't be in until tomorrow. Im burning firewood and I've got my propane heater. Im hoping I can get out today and get more firewood and propane but with the roads the way they are Im not sure.

Photon, you should know better then that/this. Stay warm my friend.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

rickdun wrote:Photon, you should know better then that/this. Stay warm my friend.

Well I found more wood in my garage so I wont have to go out for more supplies today.
Photon Guy

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Sadly we are heading to New York, Friday or Saturday.
Wish us luck.

Wishing you Luck but I suspect you will have a safe journey.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.